You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gerrard: I would leave Anfield

WhiskeyJar

Fair enough chaps but I disagree. I saw enough in the Leicester away game to think that he has something to offer at the top end of the pitch.

Getting MOM's in the Premier League is no mean feat and he was excellent that night.

I wouldn't play him centre midfield any more though, not in this team with it's general lack of defensive instinct.

Im shitting myself when I look at the candidates for his armband, Skrtel is the only one Id even consider but I doubt he will get it.

Without Suarez, Reina, Agger, Carra its gonna be grim whoever they pick.

Typical of Rodgers team no characters.

I await our new captain Tim Henderman.

Nailed it. 3 seasons and Rodgers has failed to replace players who had masses of leadership qualities. I doubt he can replace THE leader either.

Not a lot more to be said on the issue of Gerrard although it will feel very weird next season when he wont be there anymore.....for me the greatest player the club has ever had.....and a class act too....

Good luck to him and here's hoping he picks up one more trophy for us.

Just read the ESPN piece with Dave and Steve Kelly. Dave made a great point about how Lampard is making an impact with City.

That proves to me that Gerrard can still have an impact.

Have a look at what Lampard has around him at City mate.  Think that's the difference there.

Have a look at what Lampard has around him at City mate.  Think that's the difference there.

But also how they use him. Usually from the bench, as a number 10, with a license to make the most of his best attributes. He isn't chasing players ten years younger than him for 90 minutes.

• Upvote 1

But also how they use him. Usually from the bench, as a number 10, with a license to make the most of his best attributes. He isn't chasing players ten years younger than him for 90 minutes.

I agree with this.

Impact sub in the last half an hour to create or score a goal.

So I see a role for him. Others don't so I assume they can only mean that he never makes the match day squad again.

He might not be world class anymore but he is still a fantastic player. Played up the pitch without defensive responsibilities, once a week, he could still murder defences.

Those that are glad to see the back of him, in my opinion, have no understanding of the game or our what our club means.

They can suggest five Neuchatel Xamax youth midfielders who we should be after though and set out wacky/revolutionary team formations in pre-match threads.

And what better way to seek attention than to take a swipe off Gerrard?

City can use lampard as an impact sub because they have better players than us and generally players of a similar quality to lampard.

We dont have that luxury. There's no point using gerrard as an impact sub if the player he's coming on to replace is of a lesser quality or who offers less generally.

In short, the idea of using him as an impact sub wouldnt work for us.

• Upvote 1

City can use lampard as an impact sub because they have better players than us and generally players of a similar quality to lampard.

We dont have that luxury. There's no point using gerrard as an impact sub if the player he's coming on to replace is of a lesser quality or who offers less generally.

ratcatcher knows.

People go on about Lampard and City, and how he's accepted his role there, but for me, it's completely different. He has no emotional connection to City as such, nowhere near to the extent he had for Chelsea. After having a similar career at Chelsea to Gerrard's at Liverpool, I distinctly remember a few grumblings and politicking in the press when a succession of managers- AVB, Di Matteo, Rafa and even Mourinho last season- started rotating him. At City, I imagine it's a case of a fresh break for him- one last hurrah for him in the Premier League at a new club before he jets off to New York- which can make things easier in accepting a new role.

Very good point, there have been noises over the past few years when managers have tried rotating him even under mourinho.

He wasn't happy not being a starter at cfc and Gerard feels the same at lfc, as this is the case it's best he goes as he will be happier and it takes unnecessary pressure off the manager.

OPINION

BY KENNY DALGLISH

Kenny Dalglish on Steven Gerrard: I feel lucky to have seen him play for Liverpool

02 January 2015 03:27 PM Kenny Dalglish

"The Reds are lucky to have had a player like him and a man like him for so long", writes King Kenny

When I think about Steven Gerrard’s career at Liverpool, I am filled with gratitude.

I don’t want to single out one goal or one performance. I just want to say I feel lucky that he was a Liverpool player and that I saw him play.

And I’d like to explode a myth. I’d like to tell you what I think of the idea that Steven is somehow a lesser player because he never won a league title.

Let me tell you a couple of things about the minds of footballers like Steven and the things that drive them.

Everybody who has ever played football at the top level has failed to win everything they wanted to win. Me? Well we could have won three Doubles at Liverpool in my time as a player. But we didn’t.

There’s always something you feel you have missed out on. There’s always something that people can throw at you. You know what that’s called? It’s called sport.

It’s not perfect. There are going to be disappointments. They are what make the good times so worthwhile.

Steven has led Liverpool for a long time and he has led them at a time when they have been less successful than they were in the 1970s and 1980s.

That pursuit of former glories has been his challenge and he has accepted that challenge with dignity and honesty and unswerving commitment.

Season after season, he has lifted those around him and made them feel fortunate that they are playing alongside him.

In time, you come to understand that the most important thing is the trophies you have won. You are defined by them, not by the trophies you didn’t win. And Steven won the Champions League.

He lifted his team to the most prestigious title in the game. He led the club in that astonishing victory in Istanbul in 2005.

At that stadium on the outskirts of the city, he wrote his name even larger in the history of his club.

So I hope that in the next six months, the last six months of his career in Liverpool, people take the chance to come and say thank you to him.

He has made a massive contribution to the club for a long time and that is why he is revered on Merseyside and beyond. Liverpool are lucky to have had a player like him and a man like him for so long.

Because when I think of Steven at Liverpool, it will be as much for what he did for the club off the pitch as well on it.

Certainly, it will be for the way he has pinged those majestic, destructive passes all around the pitch. It will be for the goals he scored, too, because he perfected a knack of grabbing some awfully important ones.

And it will be for the way he always found an extra gear when he surged past an opponent and left him trailing.

But in my second spell in charge of the club I also saw the way he operated as a captain. The man was class personified.

Steven has got the personality and the brains to know what is right and wrong in the game.

Sometimes, players at a football club, particularly ones who are not being picked regularly, need somebody to remind them of that.

Steven was always a strong captain like that. His teammates trusted him so they felt confident talking to him if they had grievances.

Every dressing room needs that. Every dressing room needs a leader and Steven, and Jamie Carragher, made sure that our dressing room was a strong dressing room.

Is he the greatest player Liverpool have ever had? I don’t like those questions. I think it’s pointless to compare players from different eras.

When Billy Liddell was in his pomp after the Second World War, everybody said he was the greatest. They called Liverpool ‘Liddellpool’ in his honour. Everyone has their favourites and Steven has been a hero to this generation.

Liverpool supporters will be disappointed to be losing him but he has given so much to the club that we have to respect his wishes. He wants to go and have a look at somewhere else and why shouldn’t he?

I was a Glasgow boy who wanted to go and try something different. I was only 26 when I came south. Steven has stayed with his hometown club until the age of 34.

He has said that this was the most difficult decision he has ever made. For probably the first time, he has thought about himself before Liverpool Football Club.

Good luck to him after everything he has done for Liverpool. Life is not a rehearsal. You only get one go at it and Steven wants to try something new.

The door will always be open for him at Liverpool because he will leave in the summer with the gratitude of everyone at the club.

This is not an epitaph and this isn’t goodbye. This is only adios.

Very good point, there have been noises over the past few years when managers have tried rotating him even under mourinho.

He wasn't happy not being a starter at cfc and Gerard feels the same at lfc, as this is the case it's best he goes as he will be happier and it takes unnecessary pressure off the manager.

Yeah that's true. If we're honest we don't know who the manager will be next season and Gerrard signing a contract here would be a problem for the next manager to deal with if he still expects a regular start at 35 plus his pure legendary status. Ditto Rodgers if he's still here who's had to deal with it as it is.

I'd like Gerrard to take on that Lampard role but it's too much of an all or nothing situation with him and it's got to the point where it's best for him to move on for a new challenge. It may finally see Rodgers/the club forced to spend big on a quality midfielder after not replacing Alonso or Mascherano properly as a club since they've left.

Wonder will we see him loaned somewhere next season.

Well it won't be anywhere over here if that's what you're suggesting because he's already made it abundantly clear that he's not going aywhere where he would line up against us.  I really can't see him changing that, he's not cut from the same cloth as that moon-faced cunt Lampard in that respect.

Well it won't be anywhere over here if that's what you're suggesting because he's already made it abundantly clear that he's not going aywhere where he would line up against us.  I really can't see him changing that, he's not cut from the same cloth as that moon-faced cunt Lampard in that respect.

Maybe Italy. Still think he could flourish in that league.

Well it won't be anywhere over here if that's what you're suggesting because he's already made it abundantly clear that he's not going aywhere where he would line up against us. 

Even without the press having universally signposted that his next move will be somewhere within the MLS, the stuff about not going anywhere he may face us immediately made me sure that's where he's going, by definition.

Then I gave it some more thought, and realised for next season he could happily take his pick of the rest of Europe outside England and still keep his word.

Even without the press having universally signposted that his next move will be somewhere within the MLS, the stuff about not going anywhere he may face us immediately made me sure that's where he's going, by definition.

Then I gave it some more thought, and realised for next season he could happily take his pick of the rest of Europe outside England and still keep his word.

Wages are going to come into it though. He can earn a fortune in America and have a great quality of life and experience in LA or somewhere. 

If he went to Italy or somewhere he wouldn't get the wages. 

Not a dodgy loan like Lampard's, where City have clearly been the team that has bought him but many players have taken short term loans from the MLS.

I don't know who Curtis Woodhouse is but this is class.

curtis woodhouse @woodhousecurtis

Legend, best I ever played against, scholes keane vierra veron all come behind Steven Gerrard

. ‏@SqueezyMac_ 

@woodhousecurtis Are you for real?! Scholes, Keane & Vieira all behind Gerrard.

Quote:
curtis woodhouse ‏@woodhousecurtis 3h3 hours ago

“@SqueezyMac_: @woodhousecurtis Are you for real?! Scholes, Keane & Vieira all behind Gerrard  yes, I played, you watched son