You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can we go again next season?

Walking out of the ground on sunday, we all felt utter desolation and of course to compound our misery City took an early lead against Palace, the feeling of despair was horrible it felt like that was it our chance and we had blown it in the worst possible manner our captain who wants this more than any of us ironically let it "slip" it felt as though faith was against us. For the past month I just couldn't get the image of Stevie lifting that trophy and the utter bedlam in and around the ground the euphoria I would feel and Sunday morning I felt calm and assured we were going to do it. Fast forward 90 minutes all felt lost, City in my mind gained this sort of invincibility where it would be impossible for them to drop points and of course our Blue neighbours weren't exactly going to help our cause I felt. However as the weeks gone on I have a renewed sense of optimism, its still very much in Citys' hands and do they'll still win it but they are not mentally tough there is a great chance that pressure will get to them, if not everton we live in hope of Villa or West Ham to do us a favour and if one of them does make no mistake Steven Gerrard will be the first to capitalise. This new hope resonates from the feeling that if not this year it'll be soon, players like Sterling, Coutinho, Henderson, Sturridge, Flanno, Allen Mignolet  will only get better and will have learned a great deal from this high pressure title run in not to mention the signings to improve the squad we will make in the summer. 

Don't get me wrong my minds still 100% behind trying to win it this year and even if city do manage to win at Goodison our response has to be a strong defiant one showing we haven't given up on this yet, we have to come flying out of the blocks and try to make inroads into that Goal difference we can easily score 5 or 6 piling up the pressure on City and newcastle on the final day; this team and season is bizarre, virtually anything could happen. But if it doesn't we go again next year from the off.

Yes we can and we will. Even better. 

I still think we are going to have a summer of Suarez speculation and the best thing the club can do is come out at the start of the world cup and say he is not for sale at any price and get Luis to say he is not interested in going anywhere. 

Keeping him will again be our biggest signing of the summer. 

The way the team is maturing, I honestly reckon we could win the league next season with the team we have got now including the lads coming back off loan. 

Even if we had won the league this season next seasons aim should be to consolidate our place in the top four, teams will improve next season and it will be harder so top 4 is a fair aim.

Go into it putting pressure on the players for a title challenge and the season will fuck up as shown in the past when we have done so and it could also cost us a fantastic manager.

If we win the league, i would agree that consolidation of our top 4 place and a decent run in the Champions League would be my aim. If we don't win the league, I would love us to go all out and try and win it, even at the expense of the Champions League - I know that would never happen but I'm chomping at the bit to see us as domestic champions far more than champions of Europe.

I think keeping Luis is the most important thing this summer. We can get better and the thing that is wonderful is that we go into next season with real hope for the future. Brendan has got a few signings wrong, but Sturridge and Coutinho have been great successes and while I'm not entirely convinced, I would have good hopes that Sakho and Mignolet can get better and be very good for us. Both have been about 7/10 signings for me. His work with Sterling and Flanno has been brilliant and Sterling has the ability to be a worldie.

While I can't wait for the world cup and love our players to do well, the selfish part of me wants Uruguay knocked out early on, with Woy not bothering to take Sterling and Hendo and Danny Boy getting a knock before the world cup that keeps him out for a few weeks, but nice and fresh for our pre-season. A good fresh pre-season and we can march on into next season.

This season is our chance, we'll be top 4 next season but I think city will get stronger and cunts will get strikers, even if my some miracle city slip up and I don't think they will, I think we won't be close next season, season after we should be ready to challenge again

That said, it won't effect our results against the other 17-18 teams in the league and as always we can beat anyone at Anfield.

I'm more excited this season because I think it looks like as a club we're moving forward. Regardless of how other clubs find success, I think we've shown this season (irrespective of where we finish) that the model the manager wants to implement can work.

I'd we don't win it this time round I'm hoping the squad learn from it positively and go for it next year. If it affects them in a big way we could struggle for 4th next year to be honest

That's the usual trend in the pl years, a title challenge then the next season we finish outside the top 4.

I put it down to the pressure and expectancy that goes on the players after they come close to a title so this time we need to hold back and be realistic.

Bloody hell this season isnt finished yet........ Couldnt give a shit whats happening next season at the moment.

Is the correct answer.

What happens next season depends on who we retain and who we recruit in the summer. Far too early to speculate

I think keeping Luis is the most important thing this summer.

A good post in full, and I agree.

Madrid love a "statement" signing and a combination of a  Madrid CL victory, and Luis being in South America for a few weeks out of the club's clutches will create a window of vulnerability.

Definitely our performance level since early 2013 indicate we're up at a level that we can challenge now. 

It'll all come down to how well we buy I think but quality strengthening of the first team and squad over the summer and we'll be fine.

Minimum next season is to maintain top 4 but there's no reason why we can't be in the mix.

Honestly speaking, personally I don't think we will win again and have a good a chance again as we did this season. Champ Leagues will take a toll on us next season, and in the future we will be like where we was with Rafa, fighting out 4th place every year.

Next season Shitty and Chelski will stegthen and fight it out, I also expect the scum to be back  with loads of signings and a half decent manager, the arseholes will probably stregthen.

Thinking about it, probably a method of consoling myself. I'm almost certain we can, our form was fairly patchy up to mid January this season. We dropped a lot of stupid points due to complacency that came from being a team aiming to nick a place in the top 4, after this season our aspirations Swansea away, hull away, arsenal away, WBA away , expectations and confidence will greatly increase going into next. We will spend a decent amount and attract a very high calibre of player and have some good players returning on loan namely suso and borini.
  The CL is only 6 games I don't see how it's going to be that big a test of our squad to play one midweek a game roughly 3-4 weeks apart.