You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Can we go again next season?

Thinking about it, probably a method of consoling myself. I'm almost certain we can, our form was fairly patchy up to mid January this season. We dropped a lot of stupid points due to complacency that came from being a team aiming to nick a place in the top 4, after this season our aspirations Swansea away, hull away, arsenal away, WBA away , expectations and confidence will greatly increase going into next. We will spend a decent amount and attract a very high calibre of player and have some good players returning on loan namely suso and borini.

The CL is only 6 games I don't see how it's going to be that big a test of our squad to play one midweek a game roughly 3-4 weeks apart.

Of course it is, look how many big sides drop points after a champions league game. And the injuries you inevitably pick up.

• 8 months later...

That's the usual trend in the pl years, a title challenge then the next season we finish outside the top 4.

I put it down to the pressure and expectancy that goes on the players after they come close to a title so this time we need to hold back and be realistic.

As I said I called what would happen this season before we even entered the summer window.I find it hard to believe so many fans cant see what is happening when we have been through this same shit a few times and its history repeating itself.

Bottom line is if the owners sack Rodgers we are fucked and I find it hard to see us challenging for or winning the title anytime soon, not because of how good a manager rodgers is but because we will be stuck in the same pattern of getting a good manager and as soon as anything goes wrong we fuck him off and start over again.

This strategy has not and will not work, the only way it will is if we get the best manager in the world who is perfect and never has a bad season, I havent seen a manager like this and doubt we could attract someone like that.

• Downvote 2

Yes, we can go again next season, 2015-16 (though obviously the timing of this thread meant this season, 2014-15). Here's how: hold our nerve, even if we don't get top four. Continue to back Rodgers. Add quality, not quantity in the summer. Bring the best of the loanees back to form the squad. Sell the weaker squad members if a deal can be done. Identify two or three positions and buy the best we can afford. 

For me it would be:

• The best keeper we can find. 
  • The best midfielder we can buy (not so much an attacking midfielder, as we're well stocked there, but a defensive midfielder, or if Rodgers doesn't go in for that sort, an accomplished all rounder). 
  • The best striker we can find, hopefully selling Balotelli and Borini to help fund this.