You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we withdraw from the Falkland Islands?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Should we withdraw from the Falkland Islands?

• Yes. The islands do not belong to us and we should leave
    • No. The islands are part of the UK and should remain so forever

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still haven't seen or read anything which explains why the Argies should have that oil and not us. Fuck'em, they'd probably spend it all on donkey shows anyway.

quiet agree old chap, i for one hope them southern rocks have a lot of oil. If so the rigs will be manned by them there argie types.Win, win i say.

• 1 year later...

Found this interesting. Wonder if this has got anything to do with the fact we're suddenly seen as distant from the rest of the EU? Or maybe because we've just sold our flagship to a Turkish scrapyard. People who talk about defence cuts need to remember the world's got walls, and it's defended by people with guns.

Britain has condemned a move to ban fishing boats flying the Falkland Islands flag from many South American ports - a step analysts say is part of Argentina's intensifying campaign to undermine Britain's hold on the islands.

The South American trading bloc Mercosur announced the ban at a summit in the Uruguayan capital Montevideo on Tuesday.

"We are very concerned by this latest Argentine attempt to isolate the Falkland Islands people and damage their livelihoods, for which there is no justification," a British foreign office statement said on Wednesday.

Falklands-flagged ships will not be allowed to dock at ports in Brazil, Argentina, Paraguay and Uruguay. The ban will not include British-flagged civilian ships that supply the islands, although it will apply to military vessels.

Robert Spink, president of the archipelago's chamber of commerce, told Reuters by phone the ban would affect 20 fishing vessels that fly the Falklands flag, 19 of which jointly operate with Spanish licences.

Britain has controlled the islands since 1833 and fought a two-month war with Argentina over the territory it claims and calls the Malvinas in 1982, resulting in the deaths of 255 British and 649 Argentine soldiers.

Argentina objects to plans by British oil explorer Rockhopper to develop the Sea Lion well, the first oil discovery in the islands.

But Spink said the Mercosur decision would not have any impact on oil exploration in the area.

"Exploration companies such as Rockhopper operate from the UK and are not involved with South American countries so this decision will not have any effect," he said.

"Perhaps the only effect is one of punishment by Argentina of the 3,000 inhabitants of the Falkland Islands," he added.

Rockhopper declined to comment.

"BETWEEN SPAT AND ESCALATION"

Research Fellow George Grant at the British-based think-tank the Henry Jackson Society said: "I think the Mercosur decision to ban Falkland flags is somewhere between a spat and a more serious escalation.

"This latest move is part of a long-running and increasingly widening campaign, specifically to other South American states, of delegitimising the UK's claim to the Falkland Islands."

He said there was no risk of military action, but expected to see further joint action by South American countries in the area to put pressure on the UK's claim to the archipelago.

Celia Szusterman, director of the Latin America programme at the British-based research body Institute for Statecraft, told the BBC the latest dispute was connected with the approach of the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War.

"Argentina has for the past eight years been trying to pursue a very aggressive diplomatic offensive for the Falklands and to recover what they call the Malvinas and Argentina is now temporary chair of the Mercosur regional arrangement," she said. (Editing by Andrew Roche)

It would be a bit of an insult to give it up after sacrificing over 250 lives for it to save Thatcher's Premiership.

But we must make sure that we,the British, reap the rewards of the natural resources,mainly oil and not sell off the rights to the Russians or Americans like we have been doing for the past 30 years.

GIVING up smoking has put Barack Obama in the mood to launch a few warheads, it emerged last night.

Watch it, fucker

At an impromptu press conference seemingly arranged as an excuse to have a go at someone, the harried-looking US president warned Iran and North Korea that this would be a really, really, bad time to pull any of their shit.

He said: "I want to send a clear message to all potential agitators, any enemies of freedom - I am on the Nicorette gums. And frankly, they don't seem to be doing a whole fat fucking lot of good.

"Also Allen Carr's 'Easyway' is not living up to its name.

"So if we send weapons inspectors to your godforsaken country in the next few days, you'd better fucking let them in.

"And don't even think of trying that oh-we're-just-testing-some-missiles-in-the-ocean-to-see-what-happens antagonistic brinkmanship bullshit. Unless you like the idea of everything you've ever known or loved being atomically fried.

"Because believe me, those nukes will be heading your way in less time than it would take smoke a lovely, juicy full fat Marlboro that smells better, richer, more invigorating than a cedar wood forest after a late spring shower.

"Maybe in a few weeks' time I'll turn a blind eye to your crap. Right now though, I am drinking a lot of coffee, I'm not sleeping and the only thing keeping my smoke hand busy is the big red button it keeps tapping on."

He added: "Any of you idiots want to ask a fucking question?"

• 1 month later...

article-1233054-076F0BFB000005DC-635_964x526.jpg

One of the Royal Navy’s most powerful new warships is to be sent to the Falkland Islands as tensions continue to rise with Argentina.

HMS Dauntless will be deployed on her maiden mission to the South Atlantic at the end of March, just days before the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War.

Sister ship HMS Daring has already been sent to the Gulf for her first mission amid heightened tensions with Iran over threats by Tehran to block a busy shipping lane.

They are the first of six new destroyers which will replace the Type 42 vessels which started service in the 1970s.

With crews of 180, they are the first to be built with a futuristic design that makes it difficult to detect using radar.

The Type 45s are armed with high-tech Sea Viper anti-air missiles and can carry 60 troops.

They also have a large flight deck which can accommodate helicopters the size of a Chinook as well as take on board 700 people in the case of a civilian evacuation

The most distinctive design point of the Daring class is their sleekly designed straight edges and superstructure free from clutter. This is designed to give the ship a low radar cross section - commonly called stealth features. Speculation by the press suggests that this design gives the ship the radar signature of a fishing boat.

The Daring class are often considered the most powerful air-defence warships in the world.[25] The ship's capabilities centre on the SAMPSON Multi Function Radar which can detect hundreds of targets out to a distance of 400 km (250 mi) and the Sea Viper missile system. In addition Daring's S1850M 3D air surveillance radar is capable of detecting 1,000 targets up to 400 km (250 mi). It is also capable of detecting outer atmosphere objects such as ballistic missiles. As at June 2010, these defences are not yet available, due to problems with the Aster missiles.

[YOUTUBE]eFFgbc5Vcbw[/YOUTUBE]

Whatever happens the oil rights will be sold to the highest bidder,probably the US,Russia or China for a share of the profits.

Whoever buys the rights will probably give Argentina a share too for using their ports and waters and all the posturing will ultimately give way to the same business deals that always triumph.

Women from hot countries in general really, it's the sun. Mate of mine goes to Malta quite a lot and reckons they all look like models until about 30, and then somehow skip about 20 years of their life and suddenly look like funeral guests at a Corleone burial.

I'm still to see a reasonable argument as to why the islands should be ' returned ' to Argentina.

I dont think anybody has mentioned 'returning' it to Argentina but if there was a rich enough Argentinian businessman he could buy a share like everybody else will when the drilling finally starts.

Its a business venture and nothing more.

I dont think anybody has mentioned 'returning' it to Argentina but if there was a rich enough Argentinian businessman he could buy a share like everybody else will when the drilling finally starts.

Its a business venture and nothing more.

Except plenty of people have. This is a direct quote from Hugo Chavez

"Look, England, how long are you going to be in Las Malvinas? Queen of England, I'm talking to you," said Mr Chavez.

"The time for empires are over, haven't you noticed? Return the Malvinas to the Argentine people."

And a lot of Argentine politicians have also. They never had the Falklands in the first place, so how can it be returned?

I agree Jose, Las Malvinas is a lot cooler name than the Falklands!

We should just nuke anyone who gives us cheek and then invade what's left of their country and make it ours. We were much better when we were cunts and owned half the world. We have become far to nice for our own good and need to bring back the fear factor. We should also have a few Galleons amongst our fleet of warships just to have that retro feel.

Except plenty of people have. This is a direct quote from Hugo Chavez

This is a fellow who believes that the United States is deliberately giving cancer to the leaders of South American countries. Outside of Argentina, it's only really barmpots like him who recognise the claim of the Argies.

It would be a bit of an insult to give it up after sacrificing over 250 lives for it to save Thatcher's Premiership.

But we must make sure that we,the British, reap the rewards of the natural resources,mainly oil and not sell off the rights to the Russians or Americans like we have been doing for the past 30 years.

There is the problem in the fact of the lives we lost in taking the islands back.

If that war never happend we probably would hand them over.

[YOUTUBE]VKqCknCOllg[/YOUTUBE]