You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we withdraw from the Falkland Islands?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Should we withdraw from the Falkland Islands?

• Yes. The islands do not belong to us and we should leave
    • No. The islands are part of the UK and should remain so forever

Guest Numero Veinticinco
If Brown had any balls he would tell the Argies to back off otherwise we'll do a Belgrano-style job on Bueno Aires itself. Shock and awe, motherfuckers.

The burning babies of Argentina would be such a blissful sight, wouldn't they? Still, it's worth it for the oil. How many barrels would you trade the lives of your families and friends for?

Not that it would go to you, of course. It would go the same way as most of the North Sea oil.

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[YOUTUBE]artOXVZxECA[/YOUTUBE]

They should have Lord Mandelson walking out flanked by the queen and prince charles on that video, infact when I win the lottery I'm going to employ someone to follow him around with an MP3 player and some speakers playing that music wherever he goes.

The burning babies of Argentina would be such a blissful sight, wouldn't they? Still, it's worth it for the oil. How many barrels would you trade the lives of your families and friends for?

Not that it would go to you, of course. It would go the same way as most of the North Sea oil.

Who says I want this to happen? I just think we should be blusterous towards belligerent warmongers like the Argentines. And yes, they are acting in a highly provocative manner by (a) continuing to claim the islands, and (b) by laying claim to the waters beneath which the oil lies.

A good threat can stave off the threat of war. Don't count on the soft cunts in government to give the Argies a stern telling off, though. Brown and co are just as likely to surrender the oil, and the islands.

The US, in contrast, would already be raining down cruise missiles on Argentina if their oil interests were threatened in this manner.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
belligerent warmongers like the Argentines.

The US, in contrast, would already be raining down cruise missiles on Argentina if their oil interests were threatened in this manner.

I guess you're missing the irony of what you're saying?

If Brown had any balls he would tell the Argies to back off otherwise we'll do a Belgrano-style job on Bueno Aires itself. Shock and awe, motherfuckers.

Don't worry about Buenos Airies, they'll get what's coming to them when Klendathu get's it's shit together and bombs the fuck out of Rico's parents.

Stay there and keep drilling for oil. Would be good for this country if Desire, Rockhopper etc... struck oil. Apparentley 80 millions barrels worth of the crude stuff could be making a decent export from the UK if forcasts are right. Good long term penny shares for people who dabble. Rockhopper trading at 66p and Desire just over a quid.

The truth is, the Falklands has never even been part of Argentina. Argentina didn't even exist when Britain took control of the Falklands. The claim to the Falklands comes about because the islands were once under the control of the former Spanish colony of the Provinces of the River Plate, which broke up and became Argentina, Uruguay and Bolivia. If we acknowledge that Argentina has any claim upon the islands, then they presumably share that claim with Uruguay and Bolivia.

So people who say "give them back" are somewhat mistaken. They have never been Argentina's to have back.

It's times like this I wish I could rep my own posts. Ho hum.

Guest The Chimp
The COLONISTS on the islands, for that is what they are, should leave and settle in mainland UK. All our previous colonists had to do the same whether they liked it or not, once we handed those countries back to the natives. I don't see why it should be any different for the falkland islanders.

There's be a whole lot of indigenous people from the United States, Canada, Australia and New Zealand who might disagree with the notion that they'd got their country back mate. Also, who are the indigenous population of the Falklands - far as I know no one lived there before British settlement in any great numbers of for any extended period.

Whatever the locals say should go, and last time I looked it up they wanted to remain British subjects.

Edit. Just saw SD's post. I thought this was the case but wasn't 100% sure of the exact facts and was about to look it up.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Whatever the locals say should go, and last time I looked it up they wanted to remain British subjects.

Well, that sounds terrific, right up until you start applying the same standards to other situations.

Stay there and keep drilling for oil. Would be good for this country if Desire, Rockhopper etc... struck oil. Apparentley 80 millions barrels worth of the crude stuff could be making a decent export from the UK if forcasts are right. Good long term penny shares for people who dabble. Rockhopper trading at 66p and Desire just over a quid.

Ha ha, I'm in desire at just over a quid.

Hold onto them islands Brown, ya hear me!!!!

60 BILLION barrels of oil not million!!!

Found this...

Anyway, found this....

Sir, Celia Szusterman presents a confused and partial analysis of the situation over oil exploration in Falklands waters (“Future of Falklands”, letter, Feb 23). First, it was the Falkland Islands government (which Argentina consistently refuses to recognise) that granted the exploration licences. We are fully entitled to do this in our own territorial waters. This right was recognised by Argentina and the UK in the 1995 Joint Declaration over Oil.

The declaration stated the full claim by each side to the territory involved and was to allow Falklands oil exploration to go ahead in Falklands waters as defined by the fishing zones — effectively with the agreement of the Argentine Government and without interference or government involvement by it. The first round of exploration duly went ahead in 1998 on these terms. The agreement also designated an area straddling the border of the Falklands’ designated area as a special co-operation area to be exploited jointly.

A further licensing round in the Falklands took place in 2001 and ended in 2005; again within the terms of the 1995 agreement. So there is no question of a “unilateral decision to grant exploration rights”, as Dr Szusterman implies.

It was not until March 2007 (not 2005), that the Argentine Government unilaterally repudiated the 1995 agreement. To use Dr Szusterman’s words, “it signalled that co-operation over oil, fisheries, conservation and other matters should be steps in a path that must lead to talks on sovereignty.”

People may be forgiven for thinking that this announcement, on the eve of the 25th anniversary of the Argentine invasion and when the licensed companies had already invested two years’ work, was carefully planned to disrupt the exploration process and “revive the old cause”.

Argentina is attempting to achieve by economic sanctions what it failed to achieve by military means. It has withdrawn co-operation on fishing conservation and environmental protection. It has threatened sanctions against companies holding licences to fish in Falklands waters and tried to exclude Falklands Islands representatives from participating at international fish conservation conferences. Now it is attempting to disrupt oil exploration.

On one point I agree with Dr Szusterman’s analysis. It is time that Argentina recognised the islanders and their democratically elected government. We are no longer a British colony but a self-governing overseas territory with full rights of self-determination. We have chosen to remain British citizens.

We have no desire to be colonised by Argentina, which refuses to recognise our Government or our right to determine our own future, but simply wants to seize our homeland, where we have lived for nearly 180 years. We will not be bullied into submission.

Sukey Cameron

Representative

Falkland Islands Government

Me too at 60p' date=' and Rockhopper & FOGL. UN meeting tonight should make the news with an outcome. Personally don't even no why they been let in, should be told to get a grip and do one.[/quote']

60 BILLION barrels of oil not million!!!

Ye, i meant billion. I've been in GKP for a while at 70p, currently holding at 78p. Just waiting for some news then i'm out and into Rockhopper and Desire. Coming out of reccession, industry picking up and a potential oil strike could make a nice pretty penny if predictions are right. This country needs some serious export and this could be it!

Guest The Chimp
Well, that sounds terrific, right up until you start applying the same standards to other situations.

Not as far as I'm concerned but if you're referring to the British government, then yep fully agree.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Not as far as I'm concerned but if you're referring to the British government, then yep fully agree.

So, what if the residents of Hong Kong would have wanted to stay part of the 'empire'? What if the residents of the channel islands wanted to become part of France? What about if, as many do, the Cornish want to form their own country?

There are many more situations where it wouldn't be viable to let a group of people, just over 2k in this case, decide something like this.

That's the way I see it, anyway.