You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

crouch to pompey

robbief

What if Rafa wasn't interested in Villa?

I dont mind KS, Im not suggesting that we should buy Villa, just that in terms of making us attractive to sell, what better way of bigging up the brand than to buy someone who has just top scored at the 2nd biggest international comp in the world (Ok so it could be Pavlyuchenko). With the announcment on the stadium, which we all know will not get built by these two, I just sense a possible spin offensive to 'maximise' the brand value to the max prior to exiting stage right.

As for, "is Rafa intersted in" Villa ? i dont know, but given that we all suspect funds are limited, I think he'll want to keep the Gerrard/Torres axis of beauty together and add to his wide options. Silva seems a much more likely target, IMHO. But if G&T were playing the scenario I outline and offered Villa, in addition to Silva (or whoever Rafa wanted) I dont think Rafa would say no.

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
I dont mind KS, Im not suggesting that we should buy Villa, just that in terms of making us attractive to sell, what better way of bigging up the brand than to buy someone who has just top scored at the 2nd biggest international comp in the world (Ok so it could be Pavlyuchenko). With the announcment on the stadium, which we all know will not get built by these two, I just sense a possible spin offensive to 'maximise' the brand value to the max prior to exiting stage right.

As for, "is Rafa intersted in" Villa ? i dont know, but given that we all suspect funds are limited, I think he'll want to keep the Gerrard/Torres axis of beauty together and add to his wide options. Silva seems a much more likely target, IMHO. But if G&T were playing the scenario I outline and offered Villa, in addition to Silva (or whoever Rafa wanted) I dont think Rafa would say no.

I think he would be a great shout personally.

Stupid thing is, I remember Baros finishing top scorer for the Czech's last time around and he looked like a completely different player to the one we had on our books at the time, bar a few flashes of brilliance every now and again.

I also remember Diouf looking half decent in the World Cup after we had signed him, and look how that turned out.

There is no doubting Villa's talent, but Rafa's opinion whether good or not is unlikely to have changed by Euro 2008.

I understand selling Crouch for circa £10M this summer before he leaves for nothing, as he is evidently not going to sign the contract we probably haven't offered.

The part I don't understand is who we are going to replace him with as well as addressing our wings, when we are losing Kewell and possibly Penn/ayoun and the flanks were the area where we were most in deficit last season.

I think he would be a great shout personally.

Stupid thing is, I remember Baros finishing top scorer for the Czech's last time around and he looked like a completely different player to the one we had on our books at the time, bar a few flashes of brilliance every now and again.

I also remember Diouf looking half decent in the World Cup after we had signed him, and look how that turned out.

There is no doubting Villa's talent, but Rafa's opinion whether good or not is unlikely to have changed by Euro 2008.

I made those exact points, about the pitfalls of buying from big championships in one of the other threads http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/64036-if-arshavin-available-10m-van-der-vaart-15m-villa-20m-5.html#post1218425

I've also made the point that Rafa wouldnt buy just based on the Euros, he has a huge scouting network and will have seen players like Pav and Arsehavin in their UEFA run (Skrtel came from Zenit afterall, he'll have an opinion on those players already), a good/bad euros won't dampen his attitude to them. But as others have said, if we have the money, there is no doubt Villa would also be a huge addition to our squad and im sure Rafa would like to sign him, so long as its not at the detriment of other players he wants more.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
I made those exact points, about the pitfalls of buying from big championships in one of the other threads http://www.liverpoolway.co.uk/forum/ff-football-forum/64036-if-arshavin-available-10m-van-der-vaart-15m-villa-20m-5.html#post1218425

I've also made the point that Rafa wouldnt buy just based on the Euros, he has a huge scouting network and will have seen players like Pav and Arsehavin in their UEFA run (Skrtel came from Zenit afterall, he'll have an opinion on those players already), a good/bad euros won't dampen his attitude to them. But as others have said, if we have the money, there is no doubt Villa would also be a huge addition to our squad and im sure Rafa would like to sign him, so long as its not at the detriment of other players he wants more.

I honestly don't think he's interested.

I can see us flogging Voronin off aswell as Crouch, leaving us with Torres, Babel and Kuyt as strikers if you will.

I will refer to the roles babel and kuyt played in the new formation as wing forwards.

Sign one 'winger' if you will to play in either of the wing forward position. I dont think it will be someone who plays a left/right midfield role in a four man midfield, more someone who is an attacking midfielder like a Cristiano Ronaldo, Robben type of player. (IMO it will be silva). This also gives us an option in the middle where Gerrard currently plays. Ultimately though this will be someone who primarily has played on the wing. But has the ability and is comfortable to cut inside aswell as go down the flank.

Then we will sign one striker, as back up for Torres if we keep the system we are playing. Now I imagine we are keeping this but who knows, we may change to 4-4-2. I think if someone of quality becomes availible and affordable to partner Torres then Rafa will sign them. As much as we all want Villa, it seems unrealistic (whilst not impossible) at this moment in time. Possibly someone like Diego Milito might be more realistic.

Then I feel Rafa will sign a Babel type player. Not meaning a young prospect (although possible), I mean someone who has played both upfront, and on the wing of a front 3. Now this is the one I really struggle to think who it may be. But I see rafa doing this to give him quality cover in all 4 of the front positions in this current 4-2-3-1 formation.

Basically leaving us with this

Torres, (new striker), Kuyt, (new wing forward), Babel, (new striker/wing forward).

In essence you could say we have 5 possible strikers, and you could say its 4 possible wing forwards.

Then their is a possibility of either Yossi or Pennant going. Then I feel Rafa will replace whichever one leaves with Pablo Aimar. Its unlikely but its just something ive had a feeling would happen since rafa joined the club.

This part is just jibberish about Aimar and there is nothing to suggest he will come to us, although we have been linked several times.

But basically Rafa will have many options for the front four, and even in the Gerrard role behind Torres.

You may have to read that a few times to get what I mean, but that is IMO what Rafa will plan out his summer targets for. He likes to have many different options, and something like this is will give him what he wants.

Its just who he signs that is most important.

Good on Crouchy if he goes anywhere.

If I am being honest & putting himself and his family first, I would stay here for the extra year , see what happens ( who knows what injuries Torres,Voronin or Kuyt might have ) and then get all of the money myself next year.

LFC said we would never get to this position again after Owen & Macca & we have let it happen

COCO:wallbutt:

Spurs plan to hijack Pompey with £15m deal for Crouch and Benayoun

by John Edwards

Juande Ramos has joined the bidding for Peter Crouch and is ready to launch a £15million double offer for the unsettled Liverpool striker and his team-mate Yossi Benayoun.

Still fearful he may lose Dimitar Berbatov before the start of next season, the Tottenham manager has earmarked Crouch as a ready-made replacement and put together a package he believes will give him the edge over Portsmouth counterpart Harry Redknapp.

While Portsmouth offered an initial £7million, with £2m worth of extras to follow, Tottenham are prepared to pay the full £9m asking price for Crouch and a further £6m for former West Ham midfielder Benayoun.

Tottenham’s proposal carries the greater appeal for Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez, who is eager not only to do business with his fellow-Spaniard and close friend Ramos but rake in desperately needed funds to finance his own transfer plans.

Redknapp still feels he is in pole position, though, after a clear signal from Crouch that Fratton Park remains his preferred destination.

The England striker has even indicated he would sooner see out the 12 months left on his contract than be forced into a move against his will and Benitez may have to wait while Portsmouth raise the additional cash to match Tottenham’s bid.

With goalkeeper Scott Carson a target for Middlesbrough and Xabi Alonso edging closer to a move to Juventus, Benitez could soon have the financial muscle to follow up his long-running pursuit of Gareth Barry and more recent interest in David Silva.

The bidding for Aston Villa midfielder Barry looks like topping £15m, while Valencia winger Silva will cost almost as much after his emergence for Spain sent his value soaring.

Redknapp has persistently refused to be hurried into meeting an opening valuation on Crouch of around £12m and is confident he is now close to landing the out-of-favour Liverpool marksman for £9m at the most.

As he attempts to build on last season’s FA Cup success, Redknapp is also considering trying to hijack Roma’s negotiations with freed Liverpool winger Harry Kewell and has been linked with a move for Strasbourg midfielder Morgan Schneiderlin, as well as confirming his interest in Reading left-back Nicky Shorey.

Spurs plan to hijack Pompey with £15m deal for Crouch and Benayoun | Mail Online

The bidding for Aston Villa midfielder Barry looks like topping £15m, while Valencia winger Silva will cost almost as much after his emergence for Spain sent his value soaring.

This is ridiculous, if Barry costs more than Silva then the world and Rafa will truly have gone mad.

£15m for Crouch and Benayoun would represent a good return, however i'm not convinced that Silva and Barry will improve us that much. We still need another player in addition to Gerrard and Torres who can be a regular goalscorer in the league for us. Neither Barry or Silva will get double figures in terms of league goals.

according to the BBC website this morning, Tottenham and Arsenal are now in the hunt for Crouch. This could just be the club trying to squeeze a bit more dosh out of Portsmouth though.

I can see Spurs maybe being interested but Arsenal no way, he's not a Wenger type player.

£15m for Crouch and Benayoun would represent a good return, however i'm not convinced that Silva and Barry will improve us that much. We still need another player in addition to Gerrard and Torres who can be a regular goalscorer in the league for us. Neither Barry or Silva will get double figures in terms of league goals.

He got 9 for Villa. which is not bad at all, more than several midfielders at better clubs, Joe Cole (7), Ball-ache (7), Hargreaves (2), Carrick (2), Nani (3), Anderson (0), Hleb (2), Rosicky (3), Flamini (3), Fabregas (7).

In fact, when you look at that bunch, his 9 goals are pretty decent from midfield. Ok, some of those played fewer games, Ball-ache got his 7 from 18 games which is a very good return. But plenty of them played lots of games.

I don't think that double figures from a player in one of the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 is reasonable to expect. he has shown he can score which is enough for me. Rooney got 12 playing as a forward.

I can see Spurs maybe being interested but Arsenal no way, he's not a Wenger type player.

The mirror think he is - a suggestion from the agent handling the Adebayor move to Milan that Crouch might be his replacement.

If he's linked with Arsenal does that actually mean he is a good player, after all? That's the rule isn't it?

Arsenal line up shock move for Peter Crouch

By Darren Lewis 26/06/2008

Arsene Wenger is considering a shock move for Peter Crouch to replace striker Emmanuel Adebayor, it emerged last night.

The Arsenal boss is also watching Euro 2008 Germany flop Mario Gomez and Blackburn hitman Roque Santa Cruz as he prepares to sell Adebayor to AC Milan.

Super-agent Vincenzo Morabito told Italian TV show Studio Sport: "Arsenal are exploring the transfer market for a substitute for Adebayor.

"The names being talked about are Peter Crouch, Blackburn striker Roque Santa Cruz and Germany forward Mario Gomez.

"What are the chances of Adebayor joining Milan? At this stage, we are at 70 per cent to 80 per cent."

Morabito, one of the agents involved in the deal, revealed that the Gunners are willing to let their Togo marksman leave once they get one of the replacements on their three-man shortlist.

Liverpool are willing to part with Crouch - who has one year left on his contract - for around £12million.

Advertisement

Portsmouth have already had a £9m bid rejected, while Aston Villa want the England man as part of the deal to take Gareth Barry the other way.

Wenger is close to pulling off yet another great piece of business with Adebayor - who he signed for £7m two years ago - close to a £32m move to either AC Milan or Barcelona.

Barca president Joan Laporta is desperate to tie up a deal before the club election on July 6.

Milan coach Carlo Ancelotti, however, has made it clear Adebayor is his only target this summer and he will do whatever it takes to land the striker.

Meanwhile, Cesc Fabregas has hit out at his old club Barcelona over their pursuit of his Arsenal teammates and told the Catalan club to show more respect.

Winger Alexander Hleb has also been linked with a £12m move to the Nou Camp and Fabregas insists the Gunners would never behave in such a manner.

He said: "Barca should show a bit more respect to a club like Arsenal who never make noise (over transfers) and who always try to do things properly.

"Barca are in for at least seven Arsenal players and there's no need for that."

Sauce

Crouch is a very similar player to Adebayor, although Adebayor is quicker and probably a better headerer (I don’t care if headerer isn’t a proper word). Crouch would do well at Arsenal too, holding the ball up with all those nippy little buggers making runs off him. I don’t really see it happening though.

Crouch is a footballer and I can see Wenger liking him but he will only be back up in the end, especially when the Croation lad gets back.

Adebayour though is stronger, quicker and better in the air than Crouch. It's amazing how Wenger transforms players, at Monaco and especially when he played against us that time, Adebayour was dogshit.

Another bullshit article with zero truth.

Anything that includes phrases like 'considering a shock move for', 'is also watching' and 'the names being talked about are' is likely complete guess work from the Laandaan media.

They have just looked at Adebeyor, had a look around for other tall lanky strikers and arrived at Crouchy.