You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

crouch to pompey

robbief

• Replies 714
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not like the Crouch situation though is it? Everybody accepts that Barry is a very good player, he's almost made himself a regular for England and plays for a decent club in the Premiership as opposed to Crouch who was relegated etc.

The big issue here is the fact that we have Alonso so a lot of people don't see the point in making deals where we don't necessarily need to.

Hello Ian,

Ah, ok, perhaps I didnt explain myself well enough. When talking about the Crouch/Barry situation, Im referring to the values. We often seem to undervalue players coming in and overvalue ours. When we paid 7m for Crouchinio, alot of people thought it was too much for a limited player, however, he'd just scored 12 or 16 goals for Southampton, had played for England (I think) and had a couple of years at least on his contract. Fast forward to now, and people are saying we shouldnt accept less than 10 to 15m for a player with only one year left, who is three years older. On the flip side, were told we shouldnt pay more than 12 -15 for Barry, yet, he's got a few years left on his contract, scored 9 goals last season and is a better player (in terms of creativity and scoring) than Carrick and Hargreaves, who both cost 18m. There seems to be a lack of realism. A players worth is what someone will pay/let them go for.

What about Senna of Villareal - available for 8m euros and desperate for a big club. I know he's getting on, but we'd get a couple of good years out of him, and he strikes me as a very intelligent player who would do a job in the role in front of the back 4. United nearly signed him 2 years ago.

Senna is a defensive mid, Barry is a creative/goal scoring mid, apples and oranges mate !

Hello Ian,

Ah, ok, perhaps I didnt explain myself well enough. When talking about the Crouch/Barry situation, Im referring to the values. We often seem to undervalue players coming in and overvalue ours. When we paid 7m for Crouchinio, alot of people thought it was too much for a limited player, however, he'd just scored 12 or 16 goals for Southampton, had played for England (I think) and had a couple of years at least on his contract. Fast forward to now, and people are saying we shouldnt accept less than 10 to 15m for a player with only one year left, who is three years older. On the flip side, were told we shouldnt pay more than 12 -15 for Barry, yet, he's got a few years left on his contract, scored 9 goals last season and is a better player (in terms of creativity and scoring) than Carrick and Hargreaves, who both cost 18m. There seems to be a lack of realism. A players worth is what someone will pay/let them go for.

It's not the same though mate. People were questioning Crouch's price because they didn't think his ability justified it, whereas people are questioning Barry's signing/price because we already have a better player who may be sold for less than we buy Barry.

What about Senna of Villareal - available for 8m euros and desperate for a big club. I know he's getting on, but we'd get a couple of good years out of him, and he strikes me as a very intelligent player who would do a job in the role in front of the back 4. United nearly signed him 2 years ago.

Very good shout only problem is he´s been the player of Euro 2008

It's not the same though mate. People were questioning Crouch's price because they didn't think his ability justified it, whereas people are questioning Barry's signing/price because we already have a better player who may be sold for less than we buy Barry.

What's that got to do with Barry's market value though?

The market dictates what he is worth, and he is worth similar amounts to Carrick and Hargreaves, regardless of whether we need him or not.

What's that got to do with Barry's market value though?

The market dictates what he is worth, and he is worth similar amounts to Carrick and Hargreaves, regardless of whether we need him or not.

So who on the market apart from us and Villa is dictating this £18m Carrick type fee then? In case I have missed it that is...

Barry is not a goal scoring midfielder at all, he scores set pieces and had more license to roam at Villa than he would at Anfield. He is one of the slowest players in the league... Barry revisonism on here sickens me.

If you want a holding player, you keep Xabi unless Barry comes cheaper as he is an inferior player, if you want a goal scoring one, then move Gerrard there.

If someone doesn't agree with Rashid they are "revisionist".

It's the "sickens me" comments that make me want to cut him into tiny pieces and feed him to Red Nick.

And can I just say "one of the slowest players in the league" is utter fucking bullshit.

Guest TK-421
It's the "sickens me" comments that make me want to cut him into tiny pieces and feed him to Red Nick.

And can I just say "one of the slowest players in the league" is utter fucking bullshit.

Nice quoting without quoting. I find your backdoor quoting sickening, revisionist and disgusting.

Guest TK-421
All of you dogs of war are writing your own P45's. Especially that Spybee character.

Someone else wrote my P45, I just signed the fucker.

Put Gerrard centre midfield then?

I know some people agree with that, but I've always felt Gerrard is twice the player when he is free of his defensive duties, therefore, off Torres or on the right is fine by me. But going further, Rafa is accused of tinkering, he settled on a Torres and Gerrard axis of beauty, why change it ? I'd leave Gerrard and Torres well alone.

Just to pick up on the other points. Barry is 'worth' more than Xabi as he's english, its always been the way, again, compare Barry with the cost of Hargreaves or Carrick and were paying the going rate. I guess the argument then says 'why change if money is limited'. Xabi seems to have gone stale, whether that be due to the changes around him, Mascherano, tactics, the baby, Rafa, whatever, but how often did Xabi make a telling contribution last year ? IMHO Its not so much, lets get rid of Xabi to get Barry, more a case of Xabi needs to be moved on and who can replace him. Paisley was the master at moving players on at the right time, I think Xabis time has come. Barry will prove to be a Crouchinio type player, in that he'll win people over very quickly and not for the fact that he doesnt score for 19 games and gets called a freak.

Whats worrying is the continued investment in what would appear to be second rate full backs, Degen not making the swiss team was very worrying.