You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (H) - Mon 1st Jan 2024 (8:00pm)

Trumo

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, Nelly-Szoboszlai said:

An entertaining game that had it all. 

Even taking that into account, I didn’t expect it to end with Klopp kissing his wife’s ring in the centre circle at full time though! 

Oh aye

5 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Endo is a very good little player. Once he gets fully used to the pace of the game and avoids the yellows he will be even better.

Diaz was magnificent. Jones was superb. Nunez had a decent game despite the misses. 

We will miss Salah.

Endo, Jones, Gomez and the CBs were top quality today.  Jota when he came on showed the gap in quality between him and our other attackers.

• Upvote 2

Hate to say it, but that ginger rat was their main threat. Why we didn’t double up on him after going ahead is beyond me. Do was totally done for their first goal.

the old Diaz is back, how Harvey doesn’t get in before Grav I don’t know, and Jones was fucking boss

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

Exactly. He really had all the talent necessary but his in-game IQ wasn't always good enough when playing with us. Hard to say what went wrong exactly but I suspect it had to do with the kind of football we played during his time here. I don't remember too much about Houllier's era but Rafa was obviously a defense first manager so maybe it would've been different otherwise.

Yeah, for sure. I reckon we would have got a lot of use out of him in this Klopp squad 

2 minutes ago, stringvest said:

Endo, Jones, Gomez and the CBs were top quality today.  Jota when he came on showed the gap in quality between him and our other attackers.

I’d agree with most of that. Jota is often our smartest footballer when he’s on form. Hopefully he’ll stay fit now.

I think the stats with Jones as a starter in the league since last spring are pretty telling too. Shows what a talent he is that he went from a showboating attacker to the midfield glue that he is today.

• Upvote 1

A thoroughly enjoyable night, tempered only by my decision to replace triple captain Mo with Julian Alvarez.

Also, im probably guilty of it myself and ill be called out for the hypocrite i am, however, given we are top of the league at this point of the season, it does stick in the craw when you read some oft he abuse the players get on here from some. Im not talking about how good or not you think they are, i mean the bizarre personal insults people throw.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

Tremendous performance from us absolutely relentless backed up by the stats. In reality the game should never have been a contest.

Gomez, Jones and Endo were excellent and Jota superb off the bench. Salah was maddeningly brilliant praying Egypt have a stinker. The rest need to step up until he’s back.

Diaz performance was really encouraging and Mac really good also.

Darwin still a massive concern, got an assist but again so wasteful in front of goal. I’ve never seen an attacker so wasteful in front of goal.

• Upvote 1

Well that was a strange match! Many parts of our game was absolutely top class. Could and should have scored between 6 and 10 goals. Of course it was an opponent totally out of energy,

so a bit hard to tell exactly how well we really played, but we clearly played well.

The refereeing was something really special. He gave them everything and is nothing. Makes the performance more impressive definately, as it’s not easy to keep playing when faced with that. He must have given them 20 free kicks, of which maybe 4 were correct. Not to mention the yellow cards, and lack of yellow for Joelinton and others. Horrible, and clearly some sort of agenda. No doubt the refereeing and VAR will have a big impact on the PL table this season, they’re ruining the league.

Gomez played well apart from falling completely asleep one time. Van Dijk, Diaz, Jones and Endo all excellent. Salah poor in the first half, very good in the second. Trent world class moments and some shocking ones. Extremely happy to have Jota back, and Mac Allister will be useful too.

• Upvote 1

Very strange game. We ended up scoring 4 goals and yet the number of chances we missed was ridiculous. The ref awarded us 2 penalties yet for most of the game was comically biased against us. 

Jones had a really good game. Diaz had his best performance in some time. Mo was excellent in the second half. 

Neville's takes on the 2 penalties was some of the dumbest crap I have ever heard from a football pundit (and that's a pretty high bar to reach). It's really not difficult to understand that if a player running at speed receives contact and is knocked off balance that there's going to be a slight delay in him going down if he tries to keep going. 

5 points ahead of City with a superior goal difference. They’ve scored 1 more, but conceded more. 

Just a small reality check though…we seriously need to improve in the final third. Massive difference though with Diogo back. So who plays the Right while Mo is away? Darwin?

2 minutes ago, Red Shift said:

5 points ahead of City with a superior goal difference. They’ve scored 1 more, but conceded more. 

Just a small reality check though…we seriously need to improve in the final third. Massive difference though with Diogo back. So who plays the Right while Mo is away? Darwin?

They've got a game in hand too, which they'll win.

17 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

You're assuming he doesn't already post here?

I have my suspicions.

Be great if he’s sat there, looking at all the abuse, but unable to strike back unless he gives himself away.

Find the criticism of Nunez tonight a but confusing to be honest. He was really lively, got in the right positions, was making the right decisions without hesitation or doubt. He wasn't blasting his chances, or softballing them. A few lucky and a few really good saves were the only thing stopping him from filling his boots. 

Hopefully a positive step for him.

• Upvote 3