You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Newcastle (H) - Mon 1st Jan 2024 (8:00pm)

Trumo

5 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Should we inform Brighton you reckon then, that their approach isn’t really working?

Stats do of course have a part to play, but you can't reduce human beings to mathematical equations. 

What statistical analysis would tell you Salah and Mane fucking hated each other, or that Guardiola/Ferguson could create a siege mentality purely through press snippets that would drive players to put in that extra bit of sweat.

All this xG bollocks is just like VAR or the talk of sin bins, people trying to overcomplicate what is essentially a perfectly simple sport.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

What statistical analysis would tell you Salah and Mane fucking hated each other, or that Guardiola/Ferguson could create a siege mentality purely through press snippets that would drive players to put in that extra bit of sweat.

None, that's why there isn't any.

But if you want to know how many goals salah scored, or how many assists he made, or how many goals and assists combined there's a way of counting that so that you can tell instead of talking in the abstract about Salah's will to win and the joy he gets from the raucous nature of the supporters when the round thing goes in the rectangular box and how that makes the number change on the sparkly box of mystery in the corner of the ground.

You can have both, things that can be quantified are then quantified and things that can't aren't.

7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Stats do of course have a part to play, but you can't reduce human beings to mathematical equations. 

All this xG bollocks is just like VAR or the talk of sin bins, people trying to overcomplicate what is essentially a perfectly simple sport.

Fully agree about the first paragraph. 

As for the rest, I guess you’re aware of the part our analytics team played when we got Salah from Roma? 

Watched the highlights today and I have to say that Gary Neville can suck my farts.

The first penalty was a penalty, but you can see why people might say Diaz took a while to hit the deck.

The second was stonewall and Jota was off-balance from the moment he was fouled.

Watching the West Ham game tonight and that tedious gobshite Alan Smith said that there were a couple of "controversial" penalties at Anfield.  Go boil yer bollocks!  Insufferable noisemakers have to fabricate "controversy" to justify their jobs.

• Upvote 2

10 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Liverpool (and, presumably, other Premier League teams) have teams of statisticians to analyse performances.  Just like Full Kit Wankers fantasise about being players, people who get a hard-on for shit like xG fantasise about being football statisticians.

It's truly tragic.

Milk? Errgghh!" 

"It's what Will Spearman drinks, And he says if I didn't drink lots of milk when I grow up I'll only be good enough to do the stats for Accrington Stanley,"

"ACCRINGTON STANLEY? WHO ARE THEY?"

"Exactly"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Fully agree about the first paragraph. 

As for the rest, I guess you’re aware of the part our analytics team played when we got Salah from Roma?

Klopp spoke to him and through the power of his superior interpersonal skills, he figured he'd become one of Liverpool's all time top scorers.

23 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Klopp spoke to him and through the power of his superior interpersonal skills, he figured he'd become one of Liverpool's all time top scorers.

Not quite sure if you’re serious here, or what your point is(?)

Anyway I seem to recall several quotes indicating that Klopp wasn’t very keen on Salah initially, but was eventually convinced by the analytics team. That said Klopp has also said many times that he wants to speak to the players before we sign them, not to get to know the footballer but the person, so those two sides of it clearly arent mutually exclusive.

• Upvote 1

My tuppence.

Kenny was the last manager to win us a trophy prior to Klopp.

He was sandwiched between two managers who had no business being at the club.

Boasting about expected goals and other made up statistics is the mark of someone who probably thinks Les Reed has something to offer.

Newcastle are a shower of fucking shit and always will be.

Youtube "content" is cancer.

And to the tourist who filmed the entire game I hope it was worth it.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, sh#t waffle said:

Just out of interest, with the Jota penalty, would that have had an xG of more than 1, as it was effectively two gilt edged chances (one where he rounded the keeper, then Mo with the penalty)?

I think both actions are recorded independently. Same as if a shot hits the keeper and the rebound is put in they'd both be counted towards xG

Penalties just have a fixed score of 0.76 based on the conversion rate of penalties in general.

• Upvote 1

I've just seen some footage of Klopp from after this match that answered something I'd been wondering about.

When he was doing the rounds of applauding the fans, he stopped in front of us because he'd dropped something and he had to look for it.  Apparently, he was clapping so hard that his wedding ring flew off.  Even though we couldn't see what he'd lost, we all cheered when a cameraman found it.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I've just seen some footage of Klopp from after this match that answered something I'd been wondering about.

When he was doing the rounds of applauding the fans, he stopped in front of us because he'd dropped something and he had to look for it.  Apparently, he was clapping so hard that his wedding ring flew off.  Even though we couldn't see what he'd lost, we all cheered when a cameraman found it.

Apparently when he loses weight his wedding ring becomes very loose and he has lost it previously (involved having to get a diver when he was holiday). When I lose weight my wedding ring becomes very loose also. 

It is one of the only thing(s) Klopp and myself have in common. 

13 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Funnily enough after the last home match before that happened (vs Arsenal ) he could be seen shouting at that very same close up on pitch cameraman.

From his gestures he seemed to be saying ‘stop focussing on me, look at the players, get out my face’ kind of thing.  Could have been a different guy obviously but funny if it’s the same one. 

On 01/01/2024 at 20:35, waddy78 said:

You've read Haunted Liverpool then?

Just about to start this mate

Edit - started well - he’s just said how you can buy all the elements that make up a human from a pharmacy for about £3. I like him already