You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

2 hours ago, joe_fishfish said:

Gravenberch and Hincapie aren't the calibre of player we should have been going for imo, and we're miles away from unveiling either of them anyway, with only 48 hours left.

I'll refrain from passing judgement fully if they do sign but they're weird targets. We need aggression, ball retention, and constant running as a bare minimum from our midfielders, Gravenberch can be aggressive but doesn't really offer the other things.

If we want a centre back to play where Robertson is playing we'd need a left-sided version of Konate, hopefully more durable, Hincapie isn't that profile. He's nowhere near good enough in the air or in the tackle. Wonderful numbers for ball progression but he'd get eaten alive in a physical duel in the Premier League, plus he's injury prone and is in fact injured right now!

What are you going on about him being injury prone. Prior to this injury he had Corona virus and missed 1 game with a muscle injury in his career according to transfermarkt injury records

1 hour ago, Section_31 said:

The weird thing about the players we're being linked with now is it all feels a bit 'well, we need someone'.

When we signed our midfielders in the first part of the window it felt planned, like we'd been waiting to pounce and we knew where to play them (and they both look excellent). 

Since then it's felt like the opposite, like we're just searching for another midfielder but aren't particularly arsed about who it is, hence the reluctance to pay big or pay what's asked.  

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Agree and it begs the question - if Lavia was planned, why the fuck didn't we stump up the £50m that Southampton wanted. Bizarre.

However, for me, even if Endo & Gravenberch were both unplanned its fine as they cannot be worse than last year's Fabinho & Hendo combo even though Fab was showing signs of getting back to some sort of form.

I don't think we expected to sell Fabinho and henderson this summer.

Bringing in a young player like Lavia alongside those two made sense, but to bring him in and expect him to start every game was far too risky. 

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, bossy said:

The only links with anyone is on Twitter/X. Are people really taking it all seriously?

Depends who it’s from.

LFC Approved, LFC Related, Grizz Khan, Blue Chip etc have 00,000’s of followers. Every tweet they make gets 00,000’s of interactions, it’s in their best interests to spout any old shite because they get paid more for it.

There are a few with significantly less followers who virtually get nothing from tweeting news.

I think @kop3m is probably the best out there. Only 1.3k followers, only posts LFC related stuff, never states it’s done until it’s done (unlike some saying Bellingham / Thuram / Lavia etc have all signed) and there is zero self promoting bollocks. 

Of course, not everything comes off, he seemingly is better than the rest. He’s been ahead on this Gravenberch stuff since for over a week and is today saying we’re in concrete negotiations with Leverkusen over Hincapie (a strong caveat it might not happen).

It might all be bollocks, who knows. I find it easier to believe somebody with nothing to gain than somebody who gets paid more the more they come out with. 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Megadrive Man said:

I don't think we expected to sell Fabinho and henderson this summer.

Bringing in a young player like Lavia alongside those two made sense, but to bring him in and expect him to start every game was far too risky. 

I think as usual the obvious answer is true . We tried to nickel and dime Southampton and the Chavs just coughed up 

17 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

I reckon Endo will get more minutes playing centre back than DM.

I think after Klopp has watched Endo a bit, hell start preferring Mac Allister in the 6 role. And then well have Gravenberch to make up the numbers with the 8s. 

Just now, Strontium said:

Only now am I hearing that Gravenberch's girlfriend was over here in June scouting out properties, which leads me to wonder how long this has been in the pipeline, and why it's taken so long.

Should have been straightforward, just go for Zidane’s old house.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Tarwater said:

Bit concerned about the obvious, as well: If he is not good enough for Bayern, why would he be good enough for us? Of course, a change in conditions can let a player fulfill his potential, but it’s hardly a given. 

Manager preference, system fit could be a wide range of reasons.

It's why just being a good player isn't always enough for you to excel or be a good signing.