You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I can't be arsed reading it, but just had an echo news flash that says something like "why the gravenberch deal isn't as easy as it seems". Here we go. 

Not related to this; do people in Liverpool still read the Echo for football news and opinions? They have like no connected writers left, correct? Maybe Ian Doyle?

5 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I can't be arsed reading it, but just had an echo news flash that says something like "why the gravenberch deal isn't as easy as it seems". Here we go. 

Haha fucking hell....

A fee of £25m or more has been mooted, although the final decision on whether or not to sell him appears to rest on whether the German side can bring in a midfield addition, with talks reportedly ongoing with Fulham’s Joao Palhinha, another name to have been linked with the Reds.

There is a suggestion now from German media that Bayern have a verbal agreement in place with Palhinha. But it remains a race against time for the club to get both transfers done.

While landing another midfielder would solve one issue, the Bundesliga champions will be mindful of making sure they get some element of profit from a deal to sell.

When acquiring Gravenberch, his guaranteed €18m sum would have been amortised over the length of his five-year contract for accounting purposes. That means an annual charge of €3.6m, of which one year has now been paid down, meaning that Gravenberch has a remaining book value of €14.4m (£12.4m). Only selling above and beyond that would result in any profit for Bayern, with it unlikely that he has met too many of the add-ons that were included in the initial terms.

But factoring in the reported Ajax sell-on clause of 7.5% changes things. Sell-on clauses can be used in different ways, from a basic percentage of any sale, regardless of it being higher or lower than the initial purchase price, to percentages that kick in over and above both full potential value of the deal, including contingents. In the case of Gravenberch the latter would be a percentage of any profit above €23m. That would mean that by selling at £25m (€29.2m) the sell-on would be 7.5% of €6.2m (5.3m), a sum of around £400,000.

The low percentage hints at a cut of whatever Bayern sell the player at, not just above and beyond profit. A £25m sale at 7.5% would mean around £1.9m for Ajax, should that be the way the deal is structured.

Either way, there is limited profit to be had from Gravenberch for Bayern. Using the guaranteed sum, discounting contingents, then a £25m deal would see a £3m profit for the Bavarians for a player for whom there was huge expectation, with Gravenberch something of a victim of circumstance at Bayern, having been brought to the club by former manager Julian Nagelsmann and suffering the impact of disfunction that still couldn’t knock them off course when it came to domestic success last season.

Needing to spend money on the replacement they want to allow his departure, with Fulham said to want upwards of £60m for Palhinha, means that Bayern won’t be letting Gravenberch go on the cheap. But they face a choice of whether to carry on giving him limited game time and facing a valuation tumble and weaker leverage in the market, potentially with less willing and able suitors, as well as running the risk of activating further add-ons for a player they don’t seem to want.

The alternative is to sell now and call it quits on a deal that didn’t work for either party for a player who is seen as being able to develop into one of Europe’s best.

Liverpool are said to be assessing the financial options around the deal. Given all the above, Bayern are likely to want as much as they can up front to aid cash flow if they are to make an expensive addition, with Fulham likely to want a lot of money in one tranche too given it is they that hold the power with just hours left in the window and a player under contract.

Liverpool have the ability to meet these costs, but it will be down to just how much Bayern value Gravenberch, how much profit they seek, how quickly they want to realise cash and what kind of requirements they may have to meet when buying a new midfield player.

There is a fallacy that exists around Liverpool that they can’t afford transfer business while their rivals can. Of course they can, they have the second largest revenue in the biggest and most lucrative league in world football.

The question is how much clubs want up front, how it impacts cash flow, where does the value lie in the deal in the present and future, and the payment terms which selling clubs seek, from when instalments are due to any sell-on clauses.

Given the potential for a major increase in Gravenberch’s value, adding a sell-on for the Dutchman may be a way to realise a financial benefit further down the line.

There are many factors that determine whether or not a transfer bid is successful. In the case of Liverpool’s pursuit of Gravenberch there are perhaps a couple more hurdles to negotiate than normal, but the financial tools are most certainly there. Whether or not the time, and good fortune with Bayern’s pursuit of Palhinha, is there remains to be seen.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

Not related to this; do people in Liverpool still read the Echo for football news and opinions? They have like no connected writers left, correct? Maybe Ian Doyle?

I don't know if the echo really sells. I don't buy it at all. In the past I would have though. I don't just think it's about the lack of connected journos (half the pack journos went through the echo at some point) as I think the club still have the door open for the echo, but aside from Doyle, I think they pretty much just hire kids to churn out shite. It's just click bait isn't it..

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

Haha fucking hell....

A fee of £25m or more has been mooted, although the final decision on whether or not to sell him appears to rest on whether the German side can bring in a midfield addition, with talks reportedly ongoing with Fulham’s Joao Palhinha, another name to have been linked with the Reds.

There is a suggestion now from German media that Bayern have a verbal agreement in place with Palhinha. But it remains a race against time for the club to get both transfers done.

While landing another midfielder would solve one issue, the Bundesliga champions will be mindful of making sure they get some element of profit from a deal to sell.

When acquiring Gravenberch, his guaranteed €18m sum would have been amortised over the length of his five-year contract for accounting purposes. That means an annual charge of €3.6m, of which one year has now been paid down, meaning that Gravenberch has a remaining book value of €14.4m (£12.4m). Only selling above and beyond that would result in any profit for Bayern, with it unlikely that he has met too many of the add-ons that were included in the initial terms.

But factoring in the reported Ajax sell-on clause of 7.5% changes things. Sell-on clauses can be used in different ways, from a basic percentage of any sale, regardless of it being higher or lower than the initial purchase price, to percentages that kick in over and above both full potential value of the deal, including contingents. In the case of Gravenberch the latter would be a percentage of any profit above €23m. That would mean that by selling at £25m (€29.2m) the sell-on would be 7.5% of €6.2m (5.3m), a sum of around £400,000.

The low percentage hints at a cut of whatever Bayern sell the player at, not just above and beyond profit. A £25m sale at 7.5% would mean around £1.9m for Ajax, should that be the way the deal is structured.

Either way, there is limited profit to be had from Gravenberch for Bayern. Using the guaranteed sum, discounting contingents, then a £25m deal would see a £3m profit for the Bavarians for a player for whom there was huge expectation, with Gravenberch something of a victim of circumstance at Bayern, having been brought to the club by former manager Julian Nagelsmann and suffering the impact of disfunction that still couldn’t knock them off course when it came to domestic success last season.

Needing to spend money on the replacement they want to allow his departure, with Fulham said to want upwards of £60m for Palhinha, means that Bayern won’t be letting Gravenberch go on the cheap. But they face a choice of whether to carry on giving him limited game time and facing a valuation tumble and weaker leverage in the market, potentially with less willing and able suitors, as well as running the risk of activating further add-ons for a player they don’t seem to want.

The alternative is to sell now and call it quits on a deal that didn’t work for either party for a player who is seen as being able to develop into one of Europe’s best.

Liverpool are said to be assessing the financial options around the deal. Given all the above, Bayern are likely to want as much as they can up front to aid cash flow if they are to make an expensive addition, with Fulham likely to want a lot of money in one tranche too given it is they that hold the power with just hours left in the window and a player under contract.

Liverpool have the ability to meet these costs, but it will be down to just how much Bayern value Gravenberch, how much profit they seek, how quickly they want to realise cash and what kind of requirements they may have to meet when buying a new midfield player.

There is a fallacy that exists around Liverpool that they can’t afford transfer business while their rivals can. Of course they can, they have the second largest revenue in the biggest and most lucrative league in world football.

The question is how much clubs want up front, how it impacts cash flow, where does the value lie in the deal in the present and future, and the payment terms which selling clubs seek, from when instalments are due to any sell-on clauses.

Given the potential for a major increase in Gravenberch’s value, adding a sell-on for the Dutchman may be a way to realise a financial benefit further down the line.

There are many factors that determine whether or not a transfer bid is successful. In the case of Liverpool’s pursuit of Gravenberch there are perhaps a couple more hurdles to negotiate than normal, but the financial tools are most certainly there. Whether or not the time, and good fortune with Bayern’s pursuit of Palhinha, is there remains to be seen.

Jesus Christ. And @TD_LFC thought it would be an easy article. My eyes bled reading that, fuck knows what it's do to you to write that. 

25 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Jesus Christ. And @TD_LFC thought it would be an easy article. My eyes bled reading that, fuck knows what it's do to you to write that. 

That wasn't all of it either.....

The article goes to spectacular lengths to put deal in doubt - never seen one quite like it before...

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, YNWAViking said:

Philips out, surely that means we have a new CB lined up no?

Can be recalled in January which makes me think we are going to see how it goes with what we  have got and if we are desperate we will recall Nat, so no spending on defenders in January either.

It's Gravenberch or nothing. Not enough in my opinion, next summer will be wholesale changes too more than likely. This season could be  replay of two seasons ago at some point Klopp will be playing Midfielders in defence.

If we end up with no defenders that's our own fucking fault. It's Klopp's fault for not calling it as a problem and instead having a go at journos or trying to patronise the fans repeatedly by saying there's nobody out there. And it serves the owners right to lose value on their investment. That's why I wasn't arsed when we didn't get CL. It hurts their pocket more than it hurts our pride, and it's fully deserved.

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Hincapie's "highlight" reel is as bad as I've ever seen, I mean really really shit.

Not a fan of Gravenberch either, he just seems to stroll about ineffectively.

But they're both young and full of potential. I'd be happy to eat my words if Kloppo turns them into worldies.

I’m torn between wanting them to be a success and leading us to another title and wanting them to be a failure so that I can say ‘I told you so’ on here.

Edging more towards the ‘told you so’ side as there’s more personal gain in it.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

Hincapie's "highlight" reel is as bad as I've ever seen, I mean really really shit.

Not a fan of Gravenberch either, he just seems to stroll about ineffectively.

But they're both young and full of potential. I'd be happy to eat my words if Kloppo turns them into worldies.

That's what I thought of thuram earlier in the summer! 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

I’m torn between wanting them to be a success and leading us to another title and wanting them to be a failure so that I can say ‘I told you so’ on here.

Edging more towards the ‘told you so’ side as there’s more personal gain in it.

Proper Sky generation fairweather fan. 

You’re either all in on wanting to say ‘I told you so’ on here or you can fuck off, in my book.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 3