You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2023 Transfer Thread

an tha

9 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Now we’re talking! Blackpool arrivals.

Need somebody to track that Mercedes MPV now.

IMG_9881.png

IMG_9882.jpeg

Such a waste of money and carbon. You'd think we could just get him on a normal flight. But no, at some point back in the past some cunt club started the fad of private jets and now we fly reserve left backs to this country like they're Bono. 

1 minute ago, TD_LFC said:

Manager preference, system fit could be a wide range of reasons.

It's why just being a good player isn't always enough for you to excel or be a good signing.

Yes. That is what I mean by a change in conditions. However, when was the last time we bought a sub, a pretty entrenched sub, as it were, and he went on to be a success?

3 minutes ago, Tarwater said:

Bit concerned about the obvious, as well: If he is not good enough for Bayern, why would he be good enough for us? Of course, a change in conditions can let a player fulfill his potential, but it’s hardly a given. 

I think its fine he didnt do anything at Bayern. It happens. But usually, players who fail at big clubs when they are younger go to a smaller club, they do well, and then they make the jump again. We are basically his rebound club and thats not an ideal situation. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Tarwater said:

Bit concerned about the obvious, as well: If he is not good enough for Bayern, why would he be good enough for us? Of course, a change in conditions can let a player fulfill his potential, but it’s hardly a given. 

Bayern play 4231. Tuchel saw him as an 8 that can play as a 10. He isn’t going to start ahead of Musiala at 10 and there is no place for an 8 in the lineup. 

He wants to play Kimmich or Laimer next to a destroyer type, so he was down the pecking order because he is not suitable rather than being shit. 

Thiago, when fit, stop laughing, is one of our best midfielders on paper, but will he start many big games this season in the current team set-up? Probably not. Doesn't mean he is shit. 

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tarwater said:

Yes. That is what I mean by a change in conditions. However, when was the last time we bought a sub, a pretty entrenched sub, as it were, and he went on to be a success?

He's only been at Bayern a year had two managers and a new board (or significant changes at least) at 21 I don't think it's a case of us buying a perennial sub.

Doesn't guarantee he'll be a success here but we might see a position/role change if we do sign him similar to Gakpo/Wijnaldum. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stringvest said:

His duel win percentage is only 17% better than Henderson's.  Worrying.

I think Duel means something different to what you think it means. In kids training it refers to taking on and beating a player, I reckon that's what it is in this case. Caicedo does that a lot, so would Thiago but most midfielders never even attempt it.

2 minutes ago, No2 said:

I think Duel means something different to what you think it means. In kids training it refers to taking on and beating a player, I reckon that's what it is in this case. Caicedo does that a lot, so would Thiago but most midfielders never even attempt it.

To Stringy duel means powder and shot pistols at dawn.

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Tarwater said:

Ox, until the injury had forced his way in ahead of Wijnaldum, Can and Lallana. He was probably seen as a multifunctional player when bought but made the right midfield spot his own until the Roma semi-final. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Razoray said:

Bayern play 4231. Tuchel saw him as an 8 that can play as a 10. He isn’t going to start ahead of Musiala at 10 and there is no place for an 8 in the lineup. 

He wants to play Kimmich or Laimer next to a destroyer type, so he was down the pecking order because he is not suitable rather than being shit. 

Thiago, when fit, stop laughing, is one of our best midfielders on paper, but will he start many big games this season in the current team set-up? Probably not. Doesn't mean he is shit. 

Within that 4231 they build up in a similar way to we do with 3 centre backs and a double pivot so it'll be interesting to see how he copes in the pivot if that's where Klopp see's him as he seemingly didn't fit Tuchels version.

7 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Within that 4231 they build up in a similar way to we do with 3 centre backs and a double pivot so it'll be interesting to see how he copes in the pivot if that's where Klopp see's him as he seemingly didn't fit Tuchels version.

He played well in a double pivot at Ajax. I don’t know why Bayern didnt use him there more often. When we played Ajax in the Champions League a few years ago, there was a lot of talk of this 18 year-old, tall kid playing midfield with them, so I kept an eye on him. He wasnt dominant but he was impressive. There were whisperings, even then, that Klopp was a fan so I'm not surprised we have finally got him. 

1 minute ago, Razoray said:

He played well in a double pivot at Ajax. I don’t know why Bayern didnt use him there more often. When we played Ajax in the Champions League a few years ago, there was a lot of talk of this tall kid playing midfield with them, so I watched. He wasnt dominant but he was impressive. There were whisperings, even then, thst Klopp was a fan so I'm not surprised we have finally got him. 

Probably a few twists and turns yet but if we can get it over the line it'll be interesting to see what they do with him.

Only thing with his stint in a double pivot at Ajax was he had Edson Alvarez alongside him and not Trent.

30 minutes ago, Razoray said:

He played well in a double pivot at Ajax. I don’t know why Bayern didnt use him there more often. When we played Ajax in the Champions League a few years ago, there was a lot of talk of this tall kid playing midfield with them, so I watched. He wasnt dominant but he was impressive. There were whisperings, even then, thst Klopp was a fan so I'm not surprised we have finally got him. 

He's a player who flatters to deceive. He's completely lackadaisical on the pitch. He's like the opposite of Szoboslai in that regard. Undisciplined in his positioning and constantly mistimes tackles. The flatters to deceive part is where he sometimes looks fantastic on the ball, he can go past 3 men effortlessly. Or course then he will mis-control a simple pass, and look all gangly getting the ball caught in his feet and lose possession. Same with passing, he can hit a good one then completely mishit one. Also doesn't really have much end product in terms of goal contributions. His best position is easily as the support player in the double pivot, because he isn't good enough defensively as a 6, and he isn't consistent with a good enough engine or good enough end product to really be a very good 8. Not sure if we are gonna change things around to accommodate that though.

Right now he kinda seems like a much taller Naby Keita, but without the high level engine.

I feel like this is a transfer where they are looking at it because we can potentially get him on the cheap. There's obviously potential in there, but I think he needs a few years of work minimum to be anything like a consistent player. I doubt he's gonna be much of a difference maker for us anytime soon and I could see him barely getting much playing time this season.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Probably a few twists and turns yet but if we can get it over the line it'll be interesting to see what they do with him.

Only thing with his stint in a double pivot at Ajax was he had Edson Alvarez alongside him and not Trent.

Was Alvarez starting right back?