You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Coronavirus

Bjornebye

On 07/08/2022 at 17:31, ZonkoVille77 said:

There's no arguments from me about the past, what was done was done in the heat of the moment. But now is the time for reflection, even though its far from over. It's ALL about doing it better in future and not blindly thinking that everything gone before was perfectly valid. 

Hopefully if it happens again we won’t have a selfish, ignorant, stupid psychopath in charge of making decisions. Worth remembering the people now questioning the decisions we’re complicit in making them.

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Hopefully if it happens again we won’t have a selfish, ignorant, stupid psychopath in charge of making decisions. Worth remembering the people now questioning the decisions we’re complicit in making them.

Ah, but both Truss and Sunak are looking to push the blame onto SAGE and saying public health policies shouldn't be made by er, public health experts.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not arsed either way, but it does raise some questions about the money influence and private interests having a lead role in public health issues.  

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/09/14/global-covid-pandemic-response-bill-gates-partners-00053969

POLITICO and WELT examined meeting minutes as well as thousands of pages of financial disclosures and tax documents, which revealed that the groups have spent nearly $10 billion since 2020 — the same amount as the leading U.S. agency charged with fighting Covid abroad. It is one of the first comprehensive accountings of expenditures by global health organizations on the global fight against the pandemic.

“I think we should be deeply concerned,” said Lawrence Gostin, a Georgetown University professor who specializes in public-health law. “Putting it in a very crass way, money buys influence. And this is the worst kind of influence. Not just because it’s money — although that’s important, because money shouldn’t dictate policy — but also, because it’s preferential access, behind closed doors.”

Gostin said that such power, even if propelled by good intentions and expertise, is “anti-democratic, because it’s extraordinarily non-transparent, and opaque” and “leaves behind ordinary people, communities and civil society.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-62947897

China Covid: Quarantine bus crash kills 27 and injures 20

A bus transporting residents to a Covid-19 quarantine facility in China has crashed, killing 27 of those on board.

The coach overturned on a motorway in the south-western province of Guizhou. Another 20 people were injured.

Only two people have died from Covid in Guizhou province since the pandemic struck almost three years ago.

The accident sparked anger online from those critical of Beijing's "zero-Covid" policy.

The strict policy involves mass testing and tracking. Those who test positive and their close contacts have to isolate at home or in a quarantine facility.

Just a handful of cases can spark a city-wide lockdown.

There is no word on the cause of the crash which occurred early on Sunday morning.

According to Chinese regulations, passenger buses are not allowed to drive on the highway between the hours of 02:00 and 05:00. However, the accident occurred at 02:40 local time Sunday (18:40 GMT Saturday) after the bus departed shortly after midnight, indicating the bus had violated regulation.

A woman who claimed she was the daughter of one of the victims took to social media, where she wrote a note saying she could "not accept" her mother's death.

"My mom stayed at home for half a month. She didn't go anywhere apart from going out for PCR tests... but she suddenly got taken to quarantine and died."

Online, some described their own unpleasant experiences of being bussed to quarantine facilities.

One said that dozens of passengers were squeezed into one bus for 12 hours at a stretch without being allowed to eat, go to the bathroom, open the windows or turn on the air-conditioning until their arrival at the quarantine hotel.

Another comment asked, "When will all of this stop?"

While the rest of the world is trying to live with Covid, China is the only major economy still prioritising the fight against the virus above almost everything else.

Guizhou is currently experiencing a spike in infections. The province recorded 712 new cases on Saturday - about 70% of the total for China.

The incident comes in the run-up to the Communist Party's five-yearly congress in October, with discussion around the country's Covid policy expected to be on the agenda.

In the capital Beijing, more than 21 million residents are required to queue for PCR tests every three days to access public buildings and even corner shops.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'm not convinced she's had the flu before. It will fuck you up for a week, at least and can be absolutely horrendous in my experience.

Any flu I've had was a lot worse than Covid.

Yeah covid was about 75% of the flu for me. That said, it’s not a fucking cold and anyone who says so is a bad muppet 

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yeah covid was about 75% of the flu for me. That said, it’s not a fucking cold and anyone who says so is a bad muppet 

Aye, I agree. 

Having said that, it does seem to vary from person to person. For me, Covid was like a bad cold for a couple of weeks whereas the flu means I'm stuck in bed for days and in a fair bit of pain. 

The flu is nothing like the cold, I never really understand people conflating the two.

17 minutes ago, Mook said:

I'm not convinced she's had the flu before. It will fuck you up for a week, at least and can be absolutely horrendous in my experience.

Any flu I've had was a lot worse than Covid.

Did you have pre-vaccine Covid and were lucky or post vaccine Covid (and were still lucky I guess)?

I had Pre vaccine Covid and while I wasn't so bad that I needed to go to hospital I'd take Flu over that every time. 5-6 days of full Flu-like symptoms (aching, sweating shivers etc) then 3-4 days of milder flu symptoms coupled with coughing, shallow breathing and zero energy.

That switch from the first half of Covid to the second half was the weirdest feeling, waking up feeling slightly better, being adventurous and attempting a walk to the kitchen then wondering why you were out of breath and had to lean against the cupboard until you'd mustered enough energy to make the trip back.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Did you have pre-vaccine Covid and were lucky or post vaccine Covid (and were still lucky I guess)?

I had Pre vaccine Covid and while I wasn't so bad that I needed to go to hospital I'd take Flu over that every time. 5-6 days of full Flu-like symptoms (aching, sweating shivers etc) then 3-4 days of milder flu symptoms coupled with coughing, shallow breathing and zero energy.

That's a good point, I had my last vaccine at the beginning of January (this year) and got Covid at the end of July.

As I say, everyone is different, for some people it's like having a cold for a couple of days & for others, it seems to affect their way of life indefinitely.

6 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

That switch from the first half of Covid to the second half was the weirdest feeling, waking up feeling slightly better, being adventurous and attempting a walk to the kitchen then wondering why you were out of breath and had to lean against the cupboard until you'd mustered enough energy to make the trip back.

To this day I struggle for breath far more than ever before. I used to be able to run the whole crocky trail. Can’t get close without stopping now 

On 29/09/2022 at 15:37, Bjornebye said:

I just felt knackered for the first 2 days as if I'd been sinking 50 pints the night before. Zero energy but barely any cough or fever.

A few days in I noticed a slight tight chest but it fucked off pretty quickly.

After about 6 days I felt okay but tried to go on a light jog and had to stop after 6 minutes because I no longer appeared to have lungs.

That was probably stupid.....

• Upvote 2

On 29/09/2022 at 16:18, Bjornebye said:

To this day I struggle for breath far more than ever before. I used to be able to run the whole crocky trail. Can’t get close without stopping now 

It's really weird how it affects people differently. I had that horrible norovirus last September and it felt like flu x2 and I had the misfortune of having simultaneous violent shits and vomiting. I now know I can't multitask very well.

45 minutes ago, House of Dirk said:

Had the Moderna booster yesterday and fuck me, its wiped me out today. Never had this on any of the previous jabs, usual numb arm for a day or so. Hoping it fucks off overnight.

Same here, I've had two AZ and one Pfizer without any reaction, but this Moderna one has floored me.

Got an email from the NHS the other day, saying "our records show that you are eligible" for a booster, and giving me a link to book one. I followed the link and went through all kinds of rigmarole, answering stupid questions and shit, only for it to tell me I'm not eligible.

You just know that some cunt Tory donor got paid a fortune to design that.