You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

General Election 2019

Bjornebye

Who are you voting for?   

142 members have voted

1. 1. Who are you voting for?

Labour's position on Brexit isn't ideal. One part of me wants to just jib off Brexit and remain in the EU. So, that side of me doesn't find the policy to be ideal. 

But, I can see why doing this could be viewed as undemocratic. However, I don't think it's undemocratic to give people a confirmatory referendum now that more information is available and when the original referendum was so poorly done that it didn't really give or even allow for a clear mandate on what Brexit would be and how it will be done. 

For me, realism has to come into it all. The Tories are guiding us into a no deal Brexit still, as their recent comments regarding no extension to the transition period confirm. It's also highly unlikely that the Lib Dems will get elected. So, Labour's policy, while not perfect, is the only achievable and realistic option which could stop a no deal Brexit. And is pretty much the same policy, the confirmatory referendum bit, which Lib Dems were largely all for just a matter of weeks ago. 

Btw I think a brexit deal if Labour can implement some of the things they want to do to restructure and democratise the economy - worker co-ops and so on - will be less damaging for the majority of people in this country than another cycle of Tory rule, with the acceleration of neoliberal capitalism. Ideally it will be Labour + remain, at least in the short term. But labour + brexit is better than Tory + remain. Because, in case you hadn’t noticed, things are not going so well right now in this current system 

40 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There's no deal that satisfies all of those tests, though. It's impossible. Literally impossible.

Just like Labour "literally" having an anti-semitic complaint every single day that you couldn't prove. 

Ok. 

Like you SD, I am a remainer. I'd do a lot for us to remain. I do however think in the interests of public trust we do need a second referendum where the best possible deal is presented. We know that the best possible deal is likely a piece of shit on paper but I am certain Corbyn won't let the people be shafted like they are in Johnsons deal. 

15 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

No kidding, the current hummus crisis will live long in the memory.

This is kind of the problem. You don’t see all the structural issues with the capitalist system. You have a pretty comfortable life so assume everything must be roughly ok. You should engage more in proper criticisms of capitalism, such criticisms have never, ever been taken seriously in this country and it really shows. 

Just now, moof said:

This is kind of the problem. You don’t see all the structural issues with the capitalist system. You have a pretty comfortable life so assume everything must be roughly ok. You should engage more in proper criticisms of capitalism, such criticisms have never, ever been taken seriously in this country and it really shows. 

There are certainly issues with the capitalist system. But I don't think it's a coincidence that the greatest rise in living standards in human history has happened under capitalism. So I don't believe root and branch changes are required. Amending the current system to make it fairer and (more importantly) sustainable is sufficient.

10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

There are certainly issues with the capitalist system. But I don't think it's a coincidence that the greatest rise in living standards in human history has happened under capitalism. So I don't believe root and branch changes are required. Amending the current system to make it fairer and (more importantly) sustainable is sufficient.

I posted a video in the Corbyn thread of a talk by a very brilliant and important teacher in economics, Prof Richard Wolff. You might find it interesting 

21 minutes ago, moof said:

I'm pretty sure you have said you want to get rid of capitalism, what would you replace it with?