You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer Transfers 2014

WhiskeyJar

I think hes just trying to take the pressure off. how many times have we said at the start of the season 'this is our year'? only for the whole thing to be fucked by november.

of course he thinks we can go one better but he ll not say it. get 4th then get 3rd and 2nd and 1st.

also you just know hes gonna use the fact that everyone is already writing us off as one season wonders to motivate them.

I don't think it's the certainty that you do.

The statement wasn't made in a vacuum. It was made when we're 2 days away from starting the season with Sturridge, Lambert and Borini as our forward line. It was made as there are currently no credible attempts to replace the 31 goals, 13 assists and over 40% of our goals that our talisman was instrumental in providing last season.

I don't see how you can claim at once that Rodgers thinks we can win the league, when he also thinks it would be fine to go into the season with our attacking options as they are. The two aren't compatible.

• Upvote 3

From the offal yesterday ('Rodgers buoyed by transfer business') - "Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Emre Can, Lazar Markovic and Dejan Lovren have joined the Anfield fold, with Javier Manquillo coming in on loan. The young, dynamic Belgian forward Divock Origi was also secured from Lille, but will spend a further season with the French club."

No mention of Moreno?. Is that strange?

From the offal yesterday ('Rodgers buoyed by transfer business') - "Rickie Lambert, Adam Lallana, Emre Can, Lazar Markovic and Dejan Lovren have joined the Anfield fold, with Javier Manquillo coming in on loan. The young, dynamic Belgian forward Divock Origi was also secured from Lille, but will spend a further season with the French club."[/size]

No mention of Moreno?. Is that strange?[/size]

Not really, he's not officially ours until his paperwork is processed.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Jovetic from City would be good. Someone who has known quality and a decent goalscoring record aswell.

Buy the sounds of it he will end up on loan at Roma. Would City let us sign him?

Probably not.

I reckon we have told sunderland that they can have him for 14 million once we have found someone. Hopefully they don't get bored and sign someone else

And the club are getting criticised for it from the same people who criticised them for the Carroll sale.

Jovetic from City would be good. Someone who has known quality and a decent goalscoring record aswell.

Buy the sounds of it he will end up on loan at Roma. Would City let us sign him?

Don't see that one tbh, if they get rid of him it'll be to balance FFP so no sense in a loan unless they say balls to it and just want the squad space for someone else

Why won't we have any money mate,before we sold Suarez the manager was saying we'd build on what we've achieved last season so he must have been promised a few bob to spend and then getting the £75m on top,money shouldn't be a problem should it.

Money's always a problem for clubs like ours, we're basically feeding off scraps from the likes of Chelsea, Man City, PSG, Barcelona, Real Madrid. Unlike them lot we do work with the constraints of a budget.

What I've been trying to say is, those clubs get the best players in their prime and pay £30m+ we in turn have to sign players from the 2nd/3rd tier or with potential. We have to be 100% certain with the players we sign with potential otherwise we would have spent a lot of out budget on them. Them teams can afford to buy anyone and everyone and just stockpile players. If a top class striker becomes available don't be surprised to see Real Madrid buying them to replace Benzema.

I have no idea who there is realistically who can come in and be an improvement on Sturridge and would actually come here. If we're not looking to actively replace Sturridge (I think well play 1 up front) then who can we sign? Remy seemed like a perfect fit to me. Bear in mind we have to be certain that this player is going to be class.

I reckon we have told sunderland that they can have him for 14 million once we have found someone. Hopefully they don't get bored and sign someone else 

I reckon you're right but it still doesn't make any sense to me.  We should take their money before they have a chance to come to their senses.  If we need to play Ibe or Wilson at wide forward or Dunn or Peterson at centre forward in case of an injury then any of them can be about as effective (or, more accurately, as J-V notes, ineffective) as Borini would be.

Borini scored 4 goals from open play last season.  I would put money on Ibe getting about the same given the same amount of minutes for us.  Losing Borini should not be a concern.

I'd actually rather use Ibe than Borini as well. Borini is probably better now but he's not our long term solution and giving his share if games to Ibe could go a fair way to giving us another player of Sterling proportions.

Same, we could have a very decent player on our hands if he gets the game time and the confidence that comes with it.

I'm very much in the camp that we should be trying to replace Suarez, not like for like OF COURSE, but in buying a striker who can play regularly in a front two and be of the required standard to step up during Sturridge's inevitable lay offs.

My preference would be for a 22-24 year old ready to make his mark ala Torres/Suarez. My question is who's out there in that category? It's the transfer committee's responsibility to identify and target that player but for those with a good knowledge of South American and European football, should I be cutting the committee some slack? Is there really a lack of up and coming striking talent in the world? Cos it sure feels like there is.

I think we've got someone in mind, but are probably waiting for the domino effect to start, similar to how Sunderland may be waiting on us / Borini. The last week is usually a flurry of activity, started by one of the financial dopers buying too many players to be able to fit into the squad.

It's risky, as we could end up missing out, but it could also snag us a higher quality player like Jovetic.

• Upvote 1

I think we've got someone in mind, but are probably waiting for the domino effect to start, similar to how Sunderland may be waiting on us / Borini. The last week is usually a flurry of activity, started by one of the financial dopers buying too many players to be able to fit into the squad.

It's risky, as we could end up missing out, but it could also snag us a higher quality player like Jovetic.

I think City are unlikely to do us any favours after we pushed them so close last season - they'd rather let him drown in their own oil.

Agreed. I just don't get the panic/hysteria. We were emphatically not a one man team last season yet people are posting as if we were. I think we'll be boss again.

'Some people,' admittedly it seems more as the same ones post the same whines over and fucking over ...