You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

6 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Why would a Jewish person want to lay claim to a Jew designing the most evil weapon used by mankind?

Firstly, a weapon can't be evil, only the people who use it.

Secondly, because it's the truth.

Thirdly, and most pertinently, because the people who designed it did so with the original intent of using it against the Germans who had persecuted them.

Just now, Strontium said:

Firstly, a weapon can't be evil, only the people who use it.

Secondly, because it's the truth.

Thirdly, and most pertinently, because the people who designed it did so with the original intent of using it against the Germans who had persecuted them.

And all the innocent Germans who would have died as well. Bravo. 

22 minutes ago, Strontium said:

Sorry, I naively assumed that everyone who had commented on its merits would have read it already (ho ho)

https://www.thejc.com/lets-talk/all/oppenheimer-liked-to-pretend-he-wasnt-jewish-like-the-film-1rsH6pz4EC1yDIku5F1azk

I was asking you what the phenomenon was because I thought it was in The Times. Instead I have go and read a link on the Jewish version of the Daily Mail. 

59 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Why would a Jewish person want to lay claim to a Jew designing the most evil weapon used by mankind? I'm baptised but I certainly wouldn't be arsed if a non-Catholic played a paedo priest. 

Unless of course I was an attention seeking grifting bellend desperate to stay relevant and trying to make the biggest film of the year all about them..... 

If more was made of Oppenheimer’s ethnicity (again, who is to say that the film doesn’t sufficiently cover his ethnicity - Baddiel says it doesn’t, other Jewish people say it does) then you’d imagine that Baddiel would have still drafted an op-ed but one along the lines of “In highlight his Jewishness, Oppenheimer buys into the antisemitic trope of blaming Jews for everything that is wrong with the world” or words to that effect. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Strontium said:

A Jew who doesn't follow Judaism. What else would it mean?

I was reading about Oppenheimer and it was the first thing they mention about his family when he is born. And I had nearly made the mistake in forgetting that being Jewish isn’t just about religion. Like Sikh’s and Amish. 

Back to Baddiel’s article, he talks about the film’s lack of attention on the antisemitism Oppenheimer and other Jews faced during that time in history.

I understand his point, and the headline does misconstrue the main point he is trying to make.

However, he needs to afford the same criticism to other films where authenticity casting could happen.