You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Ice baths...

dave u

Just read this on .tv from Babel:

BABEL: WHY COLD WATER IS HELPING ME THRIVE

If I was a player and the manager ordered me to get in an ice bath, I'd refuse, even if it meant I had to find another club. I just couldn't do it, when I'm on holiday it takes me about half an hour to get in the sea, as I inch my way in gradually. Same with swimming pools.

Ice bath? Fuck right off with that shit.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just read this on .tv from Babel:

BABEL: WHY COLD WATER IS HELPING ME THRIVE

If I was a player and the manager ordered me to get in an ice bath, I'd refuse, even if it meant I had to find another club. I just couldn't do it, when I'm on holiday it takes me about half an hour to get in the sea, as I inch my way in gradually. Same with swimming pools.

Ice bath? Fuck right off with that shit.

Even indoor ones? They're not far off body temperature, you big girl.

What about if you're on a sunny Greek island, baking hot, swede burnt to a crisp, and you're next to the pool (an outside one). Are you saying you wouldn't jump in and cool off?

Even indoor ones? They're not far off body temperature, you big girl.

What about if you're on a sunny Greek island, baking hot, swede burnt to a crisp, and you're next to the pool (an outside one). Are you saying you wouldn't jump in and cool off?

Indoor ones are fine.

And no, I don't jump in. I edge my way, making silly noises and taking deep breaths and generally being a pussy.

Indoor ones are fine.

And no, I don't jump in. I edge my way, making silly noises and taking deep breaths and generally being a pussy.

That's proper lame that Dave! It takes about five seconds to adjust if you jump in.

In short, stop being a pussy and just jump in next time!

That's proper lame that Dave! It takes about five seconds to adjust if you jump in.

In short, stop being a pussy and just jump in next time!

I have done it, I just don't like it. Those five seconds are horrible. And it'd take longer than 5 seconds to adjust to an ice bath.

Indoor ones are fine.

I sometimes do that in the sea, admittedly, but that's only because I'm really keeping one eye out for sharks.

Finns like to have a sauna and then bomb it outside and jump into a snowdrift or almost-frozen lake and dive in. Naked.

It explains why they are almost always humourless and mental and have a very high suicide rate. Sami's like Ken Dodd compared to your typical Finn.

I have done it, I just don't like it. Those five seconds are horrible. And it'd take longer than 5 seconds to adjust to an ice bath.

Totally agree about the ice bath, and there's no way i'd even think about getting into one of those like!

Pools are easy though.

That's the 1st time i've been the offal in about 3 months.

The article:

Ryan Babel has today revealed how an ice cold bath has helped him make a red hot start to his Anfield career.

The in-form Dutch winger is preparing for this weekend's crunch Merseyside derby having started nine of the last ten games for the Reds as Rafael Benitez's men have climbed into fourth place in the league and progressed to the last eight of the Champions League.

Babel admits he took time to adapt to the demands of English football but insists that, thanks in no small part to Rafa Benitez's methods, he is now thriving in his new environment.

"I'm learning so much here and again I can see that it's often the small details that make the difference," he said.

"After a match we have to stand in an ice bath for five minutes. You can be affected with cramp or lactic acid, and that causes small tears in the muscles, but by applying cold water it repairs the damage immediately.

"During pre-season I had to do it after every training session and it was so cold, really horrible. In the beginning I could only suffer it for half a minute and sometimes I stood with my tracksuit and socks on or I tried slyly to miss it.

"Even during training I was thinking about the dreaded cold water, but now I'm used to it – and it certainly works as I'm more flexible and feeling a lot better the next day."

Babel is confident his best is yet to come as he continues to build his fitness closer to the levels required for the 'crazy' world of English football.

"It's understandable I'm not playing 90 minutes. Physically I'm not yet at the point that I'm able to play 90 minutes in the crazy tempo of the Premier League," he added.

"Rafa Benitez said that he signed me because he wanted more players in the squad who can get past opponents. Of course my status as a young talent carries certain expectations but Liverpool see me as a rough diamond that needs to be cut and polished."

there was a pair of finns in our gym a month or 2 ago. strange fellas to say the least. one wearing ball strangling speedos and the other in a thong(no shit). they had a bag of 'toys' in the sauna that freaked me out. they were lying on the bench while the other twatted them with a brush type thing, like a witches broom made of twigs. then they had this spikey thing and rolled it up and down eachothers backs and legs.

there was a pair of finns in our gym a month or 2 ago. strange fellas to say the least. one wearing ball strangling speedos and the other in a thong(no shit). they had a bag of 'toys' in the sauna that freaked me out. they were lying on the bench while the other twatted them with a brush type thing, like a witches broom made of twigs. then they had this spikey thing and rolled it up and down eachothers backs and legs.

sauna-1-schaduw.jpg