You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Barcelona (A) Champions League 1/5/19

Bjornebye

I think tonight is one of Klopp's toughest tactical battles of the season. 

Do we press them high?  Do we sit back & hit them on the break?  Do we try to control the match? 

Loads of questions like this need answering.

I think on their big pitch pressing high would be super risky & could end in a lot of trouble.  But we can't show them too much respect and we need to have that attacking threat ourselves.

4-3-3 is what we usually play.  But I'm not sure about using it tonight.  Alba & Roberto will look to attack, Barca will probably dominate possession being at home.  I feel the 4-3-3 could very quickly become 4-5-1 or 4-6-0.  I'm not sure I want to see Salah using all his energy doing defensive work tracking Alba & helping Trent.  We could keep Salah high when Alba attack, but that would be very risk & not advisable I'd have thought.

For me 4-2-3-1 would be better.  In reality that would probably more look like 4-4-1-1 as we defend.  But this way Salah can stay upfront.  They'll be terrified of his pace (especially Lenglet).  So we'll always have that outlet & threat.  Firmino can then sit on Busquets, giving him issues in possession.

I'd have Keita in front of Robertson & Mane in front of Trent, both offering great defensive cover.  But can get us up the pitch in possession with their dribbling skills & ability to beat the press.

A double pivot in front of the defence (Wijnaldum & Fabinho would be my choice tonight), should help protect the back four & cope with Messi.  Especially Gini in that left sided spot where Messi likes to do a lot of his work.

Klopp has used Salah upfront against City a lot.  Mainly because his tracking back isn't the best & it's wasted too as we want him as close to the opposition goal as possible. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw that tonight. 

• Upvote 1

31 minutes ago, LF:D said:

I think tonight is one of Klopp's toughest tactical battles of the season. 

Do we press them high?  Do we sit back & hit them on the break?  Do we try to control the match? 

Loads of questions like this need answering.

I think on their big pitch pressing high would be super risky & could end in a lot of trouble.  But we can't show them too much respect and we need to have that attacking threat ourselves.

4-3-3 is what we usually play.  But I'm not sure about using it tonight.  Alba & Roberto will look to attack, Barca will probably dominate possession being at home.  I feel the 4-3-3 could very quickly become 4-5-1 or 4-6-0.  I'm not sure I want to see Salah using all his energy doing defensive work tracking Alba & helping Trent.  We could keep Salah high when Alba attack, but that would be very risk & not advisable I'd have thought.

For me 4-2-3-1 would be better.  In reality that would probably more look like 4-4-1-1 as we defend.  But this way Salah can stay upfront.  They'll be terrified of his pace (especially Lenglet).  So we'll always have that outlet & threat.  Firmino can then sit on Busquets, giving him issues in possession.

I'd have Keita in front of Robertson & Mane in front of Trent, both offering great defensive cover.  But can get us up the pitch in possession with their dribbling skills & ability to beat the press.

A double pivot in front of the defence (Wijnaldum & Fabinho would be my choice tonight), should help protect the back four & cope with Messi.  Especially Gini in that left sided spot where Messi likes to do a lot of his work.

Klopp has used Salah upfront against City a lot.  Mainly because his tracking back isn't the best & it's wasted too as we want him as close to the opposition goal as possible. 

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw that tonight. 

Excellent post. I reckon we’ll see a mixed picture. I’m sure we’ll try the high pressing, as we are fully capable of causing them a lot of problems that way, and an away goal or two is very very important. There is no way however we can maintain a pressing game for 90 minutes, so I’m sure we’re planning to sit more back and stay compact for parts of the game. 

6 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

This bellend needs filling in. 

Screenshot_20190501-093333.png

Even if he did that to one of his mates, it would not even get close to being funny.

To do it to someone you dont know makes you a fuckin shithouse.

4 hours ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

All the years I travelled about following us you always got the odd dickhead, usually not regular match goers just tits out for what they call a laugh.

Or many years ago out for whatever sportswear they could get in a Head bag.

Haha appears I inadvertently called this re sportswear. The phantom tipper apparently owns Transalpino in town. Allegedly.

16 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Haha appears I inadvertently called this re sportswear. The phantom tipper apparently owns Transalpino in town. Allegedly.

You sure? I dont think its him.

• Upvote 1