You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Inequality

AngryOfTuebrook

It is often used as a defence for poor working conditions though. As if being a 'wealth creator' gives someone an absolute right to treat someone like shite. It should be a symbiotic relationship but increasingly it is becoming more skewed towards the employer with no little encouragement from a complicit Tory government and right wing media.

Please don't quote the evil liar.
  • Downvote 1

It is often used as a defence for poor working conditions though. As if being a 'wealth creator' gives someone an absolute right to treat someone like shite. It should be a symbiotic relationship but increasingly it is becoming more skewed towards the employer with no little encouragement from a complicit Tory government and right wing media.

But we've got more workers rights than we ever have had. Work is safer than it's ever been, we work fewer hours than we ever have done. They were also protected by Europe until recently.

But we've got more workers rights than we ever have had. Work is safer than it's ever been, we work fewer hours than we ever have done. They were also protected by Europe until recently.

Nah I'm not having that Rico. 

My working conditions, be it overtime rates, pensions or wage rises are less than  those of someone who started five years before me, and those who started after me will be worse again. It's genuinely the same wherever you go. My wife's a teacher and is on shitter money than people who started five years before with a worse pension, fuck, even the AA bloke I had out to my car recently said the same, said he was on the 'old contract' but that the lads on the new one 'must be mad to do it'. 

I'd give you a Fredo and a kiss on the lips if you can find me a single profession in this country where wages and employment conditions have actually improved in the last ten years. 

As for zero hours, internships and temp work too, that's a whole other discussion. 

Professional footballer (puckers up)

I mentioned workers rights, you talked pay and perks.

Fair point, and as you said much of that is European. Dare I say it, a direct result of the more 'social democratic' tendencies on the continent. The UK/USA ideal is to have us all working every hour of every day. Anyone who works for an American company will tell you how outrageous the business finds the concept of putting your family life on a par with the needs of the corporation. I think their holidays and working hours are shocking too. We'll no doubt head down that route soon too - the joys. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

The beakhead's parting gift.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/01/huge-tax-giveaway-for-rich-as-poor-are-hit-george-osborne-tax-benefit-budget-changes

The richest will reap 80% of the rewards from the tax and benefit changes that start to come into effect this week, while the poorest will become worse off, according to detailed analysis by the Resolution Foundation.

The independent thinktank’s research shows that the effect of £2bn of income tax cuts and more than £1bn of welfare cuts will add up to a huge transfer of wealth from low- and middle-income households to richer ones.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/tory-welfare-cuts-cost-7000-a-year-april-is-the-cruellest-month-farron-osborne-legacy_uk_58e1f926e4b0c777f78874bd

The human cost of George Osborne’s austerity drive has been laid bare as it emerged that poor families will lose up to £7,000 a year under benefits and other cuts that kick in this week.

Charities, think tanks and MPs hit out after figures showed that the former Chancellor’s curbs on tax credits, universal credit and sickness benefits will bite hardest on those with three or more children.

As the first working day of the financial year began on Monday, one analysis found the Government was delivering a £1bn tax-and-benefit “giveaway” to better off Britons, while the poorest third were left worse off.

Meanwhile...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39498667

Executive pay has been "ratcheted" up to the point where there is no credible link between earnings and performance, a group of MPs has said.

In a new report, they say that business must act on pay and diversity to address a "worrying lack of trust" among the public.

• 1 month later...

I don't think anyone pretends that there's anything philanthropic about creating a business. I've certainly never seen anyone do that.

Entrepreneurs, like anyone who goes out to earn a wage, are unambiguously doing it to serve their own interests.

That doesn't mean they aren't producing a lot of socially desirable things as a by-product of them acting in their own rational self-interest.

This was not always the case though. (see Joseph Williamson and his tunnels). The entrepreneurs of the past differed from today's money grabbers in that they at least carried out philanthropic acts with their wealth, still a gang of cunts but the idea of Christianity left a lot of them

feeling they needed to give something back.

What was the last library or great civic building paid for by a British billionaire? Bill Gates aside it's hard to think of any in the world. 

This was not always the case though. (see Joseph Williamson and his tunnels). The entrepreneurs of the past differed from today's money grabbers in that they at least carried out philanthropic acts with their wealth, still a gang of cunts but the idea of Christianity left a lot of them

feeling they needed to give something back.

What was the last library or great civic building paid for by a British billionaire? Bill Gates aside it's hard to think of any in the world.

Hmm, I'm not sure that's true, philanthropy has made a big comeback recently. Are you aware of the Giving Pledge?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Giving_Pledge

The Giving Pledge is a campaign to encourage the wealthy people of the world to contribute a majority of their wealth to philanthropic causes. As of 2016, 139 people have signed the pledge, most of them billionaires; these pledges total to over $365 billion.

Hottest Issue Among Funders: Inequality

In a recent survey, nearly half of major foundation CEOs named inequality as the top issue of the future for philanthropy—which explains moves this year by funders such as Weingart, the San Francisco Foundation, and the Meyer Memorial Trust to focus new energy here.

Hottest Issue Most Funders Aren’t Addressing: Inequality

Too bad only a sliver of foundations actually fund work that has any chance of closing the wealth gap. Most funders steer far clear of key issues involved here—like fiscal policy, labor lawsglobalization, and institutional racism.

Hottest Issue Among Funders: Inequality

In a recent survey, nearly half of major foundation CEOs named inequality as the top issue of the future for philanthropy—which explains moves this year by funders such as Weingart, the San Francisco Foundation, and the Meyer Memorial Trust to focus new energy here.

Hottest Issue Most Funders Aren’t Addressing: Inequality

Too bad only a sliver of foundations actually fund work that has any chance of closing the wealth gap. Most funders steer far clear of key issues involved here—like fiscal policy, labor laws, globalization, and institutional racism.

I may be missing something here, and I'm pissed so please forgive me. But they don't have to do it - hence it's philanthropy.

Modern philanthropy is used as some kind of feel good act by those who've already fucked it up in the first place. I am forever grateful that I am 'rich' compared to 99.9% of the population of Bangladesh so in appreciation I will give more of the little I have to filthy rich British billionaires who will no doubt pass it on to those poor people in under developed countries. 'What's that you say? They don't actually pass it on?' Well I never.

• Upvote 2