You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's Hidden Gems

Section_31

Gerrard's Cafe on Derby Lane. Located on the same block as the infamous (and now smoking ruin) Taff's Tavern.

Good line in breakfasts until 12.30pm and a range of about 20 restaurant-style dishes throughout the day, all arranged as a menu on one wall. The food is excellent.

Zagros. Persian restaurant off London Road (block past the Lidl)

Bit out of the way but delicious food, not at all intimidating to us western devils. Very family orientated

Always highly rated on trip adviser but don't know many who've actually been

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g186337-d3750223-Reviews-Zagros_Persian_Restaurant-Liverpool_Merseyside_England.html&ved=0CB8QFjAA&usg=AFQjCNFrkvqjIEmI8c2EBSVa-6c6iO2sEg

The Plaza cinema in Crosby. Was going to be shut down in about 2000/2001 but a group of volunteers have given their time up ever since and worked there for free to keep it open. It's a nice traditional cinema which also screens independent films sometimes. Without the people giving up their time it probably would be a car park now.

• Upvote 1

Gerrard's Cafe on Derby Lane. Located on the same block as the infamous (and now smoking ruin) Taff's Tavern.

Good line in breakfasts until 12.30pm and a range of about 20 restaurant-style dishes throughout the day, all arranged as a menu on one wall. The food is excellent.

Ok. Brainfart. It's Wilson's Cafe. Wilson's.

I'm a fucking incompetent ass.

I am trying out the below

http://www.maharajaliverpool.co.uk

Heard good things about it. Will report back tomorrow. My only worry is spicy food goes right through me. Could be a long day tomorrow in work

Don't worry about that. I've veen there loads and never had anything spicy. It's all fragrant dishes.

Make sure you get the okra side dish

The Lion pub, Moorfields.

I've mentioned the Lion before and its pies in the foody thread which are the best in town, anyway, go into the back in the seating area near the bogs, sit down, look up and just spend the next 10 minutes being amazed at the glass dome they have in the roof. It really is a thing of beauty. What you would call a little hidden gem.

There is also Queen Victoria's dick in Derby Square, but everyone knows abar that though don't they!

And equally the Railway next door.

Friendly staff, cosy seating, nice lighting, a nice little beer garden to the side of it.

They do some lovely cold fresh draft lagers, but best of all it is 'off the beaten track' so to speak but not a million miles off it if you're in town shopping or even on the ale (you could start there seeing as Moorfields station is literally around the corner). And the bonus with that fact is there is a very low proportion of dick heads and bints that ever venture in there.

During the day and weekday evenings it's nice and quiet without being dead, see plenty of people rocking up on their own to read the paper with a quiet pint.

Also I'm not 100% sure this still goes on but I recall that every Friday evening between 5 and 6 there's free chips, which becomes Barbecue burgers in the summer months. 

And equally the Railway next door.

Friendly staff, cosy seating, nice lighting, a nice little beer garden to the side of it.

They do some lovely cold fresh draft lagers, but best of all it is 'off the beaten track' so to speak but not a million miles off it if you're in town shopping or even on the ale (you could start there seeing as Moorfields station is literally around the corner). And the bonus with that fact is there is a very low proportion of dick heads and bints that ever venture in there.

During the day and weekday evenings it's nice and quiet without being dead, see plenty of people rocking up on their own to read the paper with a quiet pint.

Also I'm not 100% sure this still goes on but I recall that every Friday evening between 5 and 6 there's free chips, which becomes Barbecue burgers in the summer months. 

the Lion was the first pub I ever went in with my mates.  1977.  30p a pint. 

the Lion was the first pub I ever went in with my mates.  1977.  30p a pint. 

My first pub was the crown in widnes, when I was 16,over the road from my school, wade deacon grammar 1974

First pub when I started work in town was penny farthing,it was decent then.1976

Back on subject,just been to the elephant in woolton, been twice now,nice food not too pricey,that simon rimmer off the telly owns it now,

Or if you like Indian grub,the Holdi restaurant next door is excellent.

My first pub was the crown in widnes, when I was 16,over the road from my school, wade deacon grammar 1974

First pub when I started work in town was penny farthing,it was decent then.1976

Back on subject,just been to the elephant in woolton, been twice now,nice food not too pricey,that simon rimmer off the telly owns it now,

Still a nice boozer the Crown, used to go there all the time about ten years ago, Stevie B on the decks on Thursdays.

Guest Super Sub

Cypriana or Elif; Elif is a Turkish restaurant but there is also another BBQ restaurant on Rose lane by the train station called Antyla or something that looks nice.

My first pub was some boozer near a sporting venue that is predominantly made of wood, sawdust and broken dreams.

Most of my mates were blues and i went along for a laugh. Must have been 84. I got smashed drinking mild. I was 15

Happy days

Berry and rye on berry st. An American style speakeasy kinda place.no sign outside,takes some finding first visit but very good

Winner. Can't believe I forgot about this place...

First time I went about two years ago one of my mates had to vouch for me -  a proper word-of-mouth bar because space is at a premium. It's not the easiest place to find but anyone who enjoys a drop of whisk(e)y should definitely seek it out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1