You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool's Hidden Gems

Section_31

Took my mate on bit of a pub crawl yesterday afternoon in town.he lived in halewood as a kid but moved to dover/Folkestone area early 1980sdue to work commitments.

Started off in peter cavanaghs,then blackburne arms,the belvedere(most people in there on Liverpool gin in those big fish bowl glasses),ye cracke,then on to China town for a meal.all great pubs with a great atmosphere and friendly staff/customers

• Upvote 3

Took my mate on bit of a pub crawl yesterday afternoon in town.he lived in halewood as a kid but moved to dover/Folkestone area early 1980sdue to work commitments.

Started off in peter cavanaghs,then blackburne arms,the belvedere(most people in there on Liverpool gin in those big fish bowl glasses),ye cracke,then on to China town for a meal.all great pubs with a great atmosphere and friendly staff/customers

Great little walk and a few bevvys in them ale house's is a good day out mate,a few of us often do it,a great little boozer the Belvedere.

• Upvote 1

Think I mentioned Christaki's Greek Restaurant on Smithdown a while back, it's my favourite place to eat now in the city bar none. Got this voucher and used it last night, two course meal for two for 16 quid. Stunning food, can't recommend it enough. 

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/christakis-greek-taverna-2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This is not really a hidden gem I guess, but I just had to write an article for one of our clients who developed the architecture/scenography for the new "Islands" area at Chester Zoo (which apparently isn't too far from Liverpool). I'm not a zoo person at all, but that sounds and looks really good, I have to say. The whole thing makes it as if the visitors are following an expedition through SE Asia, finding camps, cargo, messages and stuff.

This is not really a hidden gem I guess, but I just had to write an article for one of our clients who developed the architecture/scenography for the new "Islands" area at Chester Zoo (which apparently isn't too far from Liverpool). I'm not a zoo person at all, but that sounds and looks really good, I have to say. The whole thing makes it as if the visitors are following an expedition through SE Asia, finding camps, cargo, messages and stuff.

Have they got rid of the animals then ? Bit of nerve calling a Zoo imo

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just got home from a place called siren on St.James street(not to be confused with James St),its the top end of the Baltic quarter opposite St Vincent's church.

Went to my cousins wedding celebration and although it's not central for town,it was absolutely first class in all departments. Food fantastic,good choice of beers,staff were excellent.its only open till five pm normally,but they do an excellent choice of food including breakfast.

We had a great buffet including five different hot dishes,with chips and rice (lasagne,a vegetarian lasagne,Thai red and green curry,and pulled port chilli)Also a selection of salads,pizza,spring rolls.,various wraps and the icing on the cake which my cousin kept to himself till we were there was a free bar all night!

I had three lots of the chilli with rice and chips during the night,absolutely fantastic taste,just been the toilet and I had an arse like the start of bonanza !(those of you under 50 may have to Google that) a ring of fire !

But anyway,if you are ever up that way during the day,deffo fits the bill as a hidden jem in my opinion.

Sounds good Pete

Re Chester zoo

I went there on Saturday, took my 2 yr old nephew. ( I'm a bit animal rights myself so wouldn't normally go)

Was alright, it's far more about conservation now which is great- but if the animals want to stay in their hut then they are left alone. Didn't see some things cos they were sleeping/humping whatever.

On the islands thing, my nephew loved the fact we went in a boat and it was pretty cool but it's not finished. When it is you'll be able to see orangutans, Tigers etc from the boat. It's based on Indonesia. I once travelled round Sumatra, and I though the way they designed it was boss.

If you have the choice delay your visit by 6 months or so.

• Upvote 1

Any decent pubs open late (1am) in town?

I'm going to be at a loose end on Thursday night & could do with somewhere to go for a pint after the sporting festivities are done with.

Most places will be open late. Depends where you're staying in town but most places on Dale street, Hardman street or Mathew street will be open latish.

• Upvote 1

Sounds good Pete

Re Chester zoo

I went there on Saturday, took my 2 yr old nephew. ( I'm a bit animal rights myself so wouldn't normally go)

Was alright, it's far more about conservation now which is great- but if the animals want to stay in their hut then they are left alone. Didn't see some things cos they were sleeping/humping whatever.

On the islands thing, my nephew loved the fact we went in a boat and it was pretty cool but it's not finished. When it is you'll be able to see orangutans, Tigers etc from the boat. It's based on Indonesia. I once travelled round Sumatra, and I though the way they designed it was boss.

If you have the choice delay your visit by 6 months or so.

I was definitely a bit queasy about taking my kids to the zoo for the first time (god knows what I'd seen as a child) but was pleasantly surprised to see the emphasis on conservation and animal welfare that I encountered in the zoos I visited in the UK. Not such a universal experience beyond these shores, I'd have to say