You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bob Paisley

Stickman

Bill Shankly made us happy but Paisley made us ecstatic.

It seems unbelievable now but after his first season, when we only won the Fair Play Trophy, there were people who thought he wasn't going to be a success.

A great man who gave us the greatest of times. Old bastards like me are forever grateful.

• Upvote 2

I don't wish to denigrate the achievements of others, but Paisley was, for me, our greatest manager. If Shankley was the architect of our dominance, Paisley was almost certainly the man who implemented Shank's vision to the full. Inspiring, polite and humble in equal measure. For all their managerial ability the likes of Ferguson and Mourinho will never be his equal in my eyes, for that very reason.

• Upvote 3

Bob Paisley was, and is, my favourite thing about Liverpool Football Club.

He spearheaded the heroics and achievements that put light years between us and any other English football team. And what made it so wonderful was that he seemed more like a kind, wise, gentle uncle.

As the years have gone on, and we have fallen behind in certain counts, he more than anyone always makes me feel as if Liverpool's greatness will always be untouchable.

Bob's legacy makes it impossible for me to be envious of any other club.

RIP.

• Upvote 4

started at cardinal allen grammar school in 1958, i was 11, that was its 1st year of opening(colin harvin also started there that year as a 13+ student) , sir bob was just a trainer at anfield but came to our school once or twice to give us some training, was just a great bloke,   sadly the following year, the school decided to play rugby.. except for the 13+ lads so we never saw sir bob after that... but a certain mr harvey did okay... went to the wrong club though.....was very sad to see my old school shut down a few years ago... ps ... also went to all saints in anfield  and knew joe fagan and his family: john, roger and chris(kit, who played for us)..lived on lyneholme road, was just like you and me.. no edge, just doing a job,, and by god did these guys do a job........................ bless you all.. sir bill, sir bob and sir joe...

• Upvote 5

Paisley was my first Liverpool manager (I was too young for Shanks) and the first time I fully experienced that huge emotional loss when you were young of someone you adored leaving the club you love. I was heartbroken. My dad said I went to my room and wouldn't come out.

I don't like all the "he was better than Ferguson" stuff. He doesn't need to be compared to anyone. He was brilliant in his own right and his trophy haul in those 9 short years was phenomenal. His legacy doesn't need to be dampened with crude comparisons. For all of us there was only one Sir Bob, and he represented our club, and that's something we have for the rest of our lives. A great man.

• Upvote 8

Surely the best thing about Bob was that he looked like he could be anyone's grandfather but was also one of the best football men of all time.

Absolutely. Look at Ferguson and his bullying of people, refusal to speak to the press. Look at Mourinho's antics. Horrible, spoiled, thugs in suits. More worrying is the modern football fan loves it?

Paisley was a gentlemen. Didn't shoot his own mouth off. And it took until this year for another manager to match his 3 European Cup wins.

A brilliant and class man.

• Upvote 4

One of the many, many gifts bestowed by Agent Moyes is that he enhanced Bob Paisley's legacy. It was often said (and I would have accepted it, no doubt all you lot knew better) that Paisley had the benefit of inheriting a top team. But if it's so easy to be successful with someone else's team, why the fuck has no one else done it? Seriously, no one in English football has done it before or since - except for Bob Paisley's successors!

• Upvote 2

Bob Paisley was, and is, my favourite thing about Liverpool Football Club.

He spearheaded the heroics and achievements that put light years between us and any other English football team. And what made it so wonderful was that he seemed more like a kind, wise, gentle uncle.

As the years have gone on, and we have fallen behind in certain counts, he more than anyone always makes me feel as if Liverpool's greatness will always be untouchable.

Bob's legacy makes it impossible for me to be envious of any other club.

RIP.

Absolutely spot on for me this Skaro.  

I don't wish to denigrate the achievements of others, but Paisley was, for me, our greatest manager. If Shankley was the architect of our dominance, Paisley was almost certainly the man who implemented Shank's vision to the full. Inspiring, polite and humble in equal measure. For all their managerial ability the likes of Ferguson and Mourinho will never be his equal in my eyes, for that very reason.

And this from the old dog

• 2 months later...