You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Bob Paisley

Stickman

Reluctant hero, modest genius, unassuming legend. Not my words, but all equally as accurate.

The Reds greatest manager.

My favourite Paisley quip? "I think they shot the wrong Kennedy"

Thank you Mr. Paisley, for some of the greatest moments of my life.

Not only will you never be forgotten, but You'll Never Walk Alone.

I have an old Liverpool FC History VHS (which I really must get converted digitally).

At the end of it, Bob in that shy, stumbling way of his is captured saying:

"I can't remember one ever coming in and trying to rule the roost. It's never been allowed... the club's always been bigger than the individual... and I think that type of outlook to it... is its strength."

Then, Gerry's YNWA as the credits roll.

Many a drunken late night tear shed watching that. I'm actually surprised the tape never busted. It's almost 30 years old now.

Still got that one meself. Watched it with me dad many many times, and when he died it came to me to keep - with another on King Kenny - equally as worn.

Was just thinking the other day, it needs to go to disk. Not sure how to do it. Thought I might stick a digital video canera in front of the tele.

• 5 months later...

42 years ago yesterday Bob became reluctantly it has to be said our manager....But I guess things didn't turn out too bad did they?

Just watching the Milk Cup Final from 82 on You Tube and as Bob is drinking a glass of milk he's asked....

"it must have looked like you weren't going to get anything from today and with 3 and half minutes to go it looked lost had you almost given up"

Bob "Well in the rules it say's you've got to play 90 minutes so you've always got a chance"

Brilliant ...he'd say more in one sentence than gobshites like Mourinho say in a half hour press conference

• Upvote 4

• 4 months later...

That was great, thanks for posting the YouTube, repped.

I was made up to see Billy Liddell there too. He still looked fighting fit even though he finished playing in 1960-1. I remember telling my lad about this player we used to have who was so good that they nick-named the team Liddellpool for a while. Well, that must have sunk in because the little lad did his research and wrote a school paper (a couple of paragraphs and pictures as he's only 10) on Billy Liddell.

I remember This is Your Life but I never saw that one. Paisley was so unassuming he wouldn't have wanted the fuss, but that made him deserve it all the more. I loved Jessie's story about meeting Bob on the train. Such lovely, normal people.

• Upvote 2