You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

If we want to address the most important issues of our age - sustainable economics (relating to the ecology of our global home) and equality within our communities - then we must address our global monetary policy. Once seen, it can’t be undone. It’s the core underlying bullshit of our lives. 

• 4 weeks later...
7 hours ago, clockspeed said:

Storyville and D B Cooper story what's not to like .

On iPlayer BBC 4 

I’d previously seen a documentary on D.B. Cooper, but this one is better. What he did blows my mind. I detest flying to such an extent that I’ve never been outside Europe and haven’t flown at all since 2009. Fuck jumping out of a plane, in winter, in the pitch black, with $200,000 in cash.

Less than five months later, Richard McCoy did the same, but got away with half a million dollars!

46 minutes ago, Tony Moanero said:

I’d previously seen a documentary on D.B. Cooper, but this one is better. What he did blows my mind. I detest flying to such an extent that I’ve never been outside Europe and haven’t flown at all since 2009. Fuck jumping out of a plane, in winter, in the pitch black, with $200,000 in cash.

Less than five months later, Richard McCoy did the same, but got away with half a million dollars!

Got away?

4 hours ago, The Golden Eel said:

Watched a few good ones on the Sky documentaries section of Sky Q recently. The Newburgh Sting - that was pretty fucked up. Capturing the Friedmans - that was also fucked up, in a different way. 

American Dharma.

Errol Morris interviewing Steve Bannon in an old aircraft hangar and then burns it to the ground. 

Brilliant interview.

Peggy Lee going out of the music tournament reminded me of how brilliantly her version of The Folks Who Live On The Hill was used in Of Time and the City - the 2008 Terence Davies documentary/essay about Liverpool/Britain/class.

Haven't watched it since about 2010 - I'll have to dig it out.

Also, great use of He Ain't Heavy by the Hollies...

image.png

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/oct/31/of-time-and-the-city

18 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Peggy Lee going out of the music tournament reminded me of how brilliantly her version of The Folks Who Live On The Hill was used in Of Time and the City - the 2008 Terence Davies documentary/essay about Liverpool/Britain/class.

Haven't watched it since about 2010 - I'll have to dig it out.

Also, great use of He Ain't Heavy by the Hollies...

image.png

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2008/oct/31/of-time-and-the-city

Superb that documentary, I have it on DVD and likewise I'll watch it again. 

I can't think of another documentary but the one by some woman, name escapes me, about 100 years of love and romance on film I think it was called was great. 

Made in 2008 but shown again in 2017 on BBC4, some good old film to be seen to the terrific music of Richard Hawley. 

• 1 month later...

I've watched three of the five episodes of the Estonia disaster documentary on Discovery+ 

Christ, it's harrowing at times, the parts about the boat itself sinking and then the contract divers explaining that they had to climb over loads of bodies after cutting into the wreck two months later is also pretty grim. Watching the bereaved families repeatedly denied answers to their questions about how and why their loved ones died is also horrifically close to the bone.  

I'd recommend it though, it doesn't pull any punches. It's mainly in Swedish though, so if you don't like subtitles...

There doesn’t seem to be any links to that Estonia thing on Kodi and I really want to watch it. I’m still not paying Sky though.  

Speaking of things with subtitles, I rewatched Killer Ratings on Netflix with my missus because she hadn’t seen it. I’d recommend that to everyone. Without saying too much, it’s about a Brazilian TV show host that goes on to be a political figure and then starts being accused of all kinds of mad stuff. It’s absolutely batshit crazy but it’s ace. 

6 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I watched all episodes of the Ripper on Netflix recently. I actually learnt some things about that whole case that I wasn’t aware of so would recommend it.

I thought the opposite. There was nothing on there that hasn’t been covered already. There’s been longer series about him that went into much more detail on just about everything. The hoax, the survivors, the culture in the police, more stuff about each victim, etc, etc. 

1 minute ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I thought the opposite. There was nothing on there that hasn’t been covered already. There’s been longer series about him that went into much more detail on just about everything. The hoax, the survivors, the culture in the police, more stuff about each victim, etc, etc. 

I’ve never really seen anything about it so sounds like we started from different points.

3 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I’ve never really seen anything about it so sounds like we started from different points.

Yeah, my missus was the same. I was gobsmacked because every time she’s got the remote she’s on YouTube watching crime/murder docs and she listens to the podcasts when she’s cooking. She literally knew fuck all other than his name and that he killed some women. 

1 hour ago, Captain Turdseye said:

There doesn’t seem to be any links to that Estonia thing on Kodi and I really want to watch it. I’m still not paying Sky though.  

Speaking of things with subtitles, I rewatched Killer Ratings on Netflix with my missus because she hadn’t seen it. I’d recommend that to everyone. Without saying too much, it’s about a Brazilian TV show host that goes on to be a political figure and then starts being accused of all kinds of mad stuff. It’s absolutely batshit crazy but it’s ace. 

Had a look on youtube on the off-chance that someone may have posted it there, but there are just trailers for it, i'm afraid.

• Upvote 1

On 05/01/2021 at 11:35, General Dryness said:

Yeah I'd like to see that too, struggling to find many shady streams online for it. Only one in fact, and it had no subtitles. 

On 05/01/2021 at 12:05, Total Longo said:

Had a look on youtube on the off-chance that someone may have posted it there, but there are just trailers for it, i'm afraid.

On 05/01/2021 at 10:50, Captain Turdseye said:

I eventually found it. Only just subscribed to Sky and I hate that we did. Nevertheless, on Sky, I had to add the Discovery+ app which is free for 12 months. Its on that "app" ("app" my arse. As if its an app. Its nothing of the sort. Fuckoff with your fucking apps.). 

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, rb14 said:

I eventually found it. Only just subscribed to Sky and I hate that we did. Nevertheless, on Sky, I had to add the Discovery+ app which is free for 12 months. Its on that "app" ("app" my arse. As if its an app. Its nothing of the sort. Fuckoff with your fucking apps.). 

Hugely interesting documentary though, don't you think?

2 hours ago, Total Longo said:

Hugely interesting documentary though, don't you think?

Mr rb14 and I have only done the first episode (last night).

It was, of course, shocking and harrowing. Having read the extraordinary report you linked above, not much came as a surprise and it was almost interesting to put faces and names to stories. Nothing though can properly convey the appalling pain, loss, suffering and utter horror of what took place that night. Six and a half hours in ten metre waves and a force six wind, on the Baltic Sea on - or indeed under - a poxy life raft in me boxies. Fuck that for a game of tennis. 

The next few evenings will comprise a catch-up of the Spanish "The Trip", followed by the next episode of the "Estonia", rounding it off with a couple of episodes of "The Americans" - we're deep into Series 4.

On 08/01/2021 at 14:04, rb14 said:

Mr rb14 and I have only done the first episode (last night).

It was, of course, shocking and harrowing. Having read the extraordinary report you linked above, not much came as a surprise and it was almost interesting to put faces and names to stories. Nothing though can properly convey the appalling pain, loss, suffering and utter horror of what took place that night. Six and a half hours in ten metre waves and a force six wind, on the Baltic Sea on - or indeed under - a poxy life raft in me boxies. Fuck that for a game of tennis. 

The next few evenings will comprise a catch-up of the Spanish "The Trip", followed by the next episode of the "Estonia", rounding it off with a couple of episodes of "The Americans" - we're deep into Series 4.

I tend to get quite emotional over stuff these days (it's an age thing, i think) and at the end of the first episode. where that fella was speaking about the loss of his six year old son (at the 25 year memorial service?) had me all over the place, i'm not going to lie.