You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Great Documentaries

chauncey

On 06/09/2021 at 06:32, VladimirIlyich said:

Untold Crime and Penalties.

A Netflix documentary about a defunct ice hockey team named the Danbury Trashers who played in the league below the NHL in the early 2000s. They were taken over by a 'colourful' character and I will let you watch the rest. 

Worth watching even if you have no interest in ice hockey.

Great recommendation mate. Really enjoyed that - some great characters.

You watched any more of the “Untold” episodes? Keep seeing them and fancy them a bit more now after that.

1 hour ago, belarus said:

Great recommendation mate. Really enjoyed that - some great characters.

You watched any more of the “Untold” episodes? Keep seeing them and fancy them a bit more now after that.

They are good. Worth the time. The Mardy Fish and The Malice In The Palace stand outs for me. 

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, The Midnight Rambler said:

Just put it on now. Obviously I was talking about 2014.

Yeah, think it was about 2000/1 at the start. 16/1 when it went off.

Was interesting here him talk about the one in the 70s and how something as simple as not letting people get on a pay phone could enable it to happen.

On 04/10/2021 at 16:33, Shitty Arse said:

The Last Mountain. Documentary about Tom Ballard who died climbing Nanga Parbat a mountain in the Himalayas. He was the son of Alison Hargreaves who was also killed 25 years earlier on her descent from the summit of K2.

It explores how his sister and father deal with the grief of losing 2 family members in such a cruel way. Although you certainly get an appreciation of just how dangerous these pursuits are and how obsessed and driven these people are to even attempt these things.

Beautiful documentary. Amazing scenery. Interesting. Emotional. Can’t recommend this highly enough. It was on the bbc so probably still on iPlayer. 

I watched this on iplayer probably around the same time you saw it and couldn’t agree more. It’s awful and I cried on multiple occasions but felt compelled to immediately tell others to watch it.

On 26/10/2021 at 03:23, polymerpunkah said:

"King Leopold's Ghost"

Mentioned the book in the book thread a while back, just watched a documentary based on the book.

Horrific history of the 19th century exploitation of the Congo by Leopold of Belgium. 

Is this an actual documentary or book? 

My missus gave me her old kindle a while back and I bought a book about the belgian collinisation of the Congo but I just couldn't get used to reading those kindle things, so never got around to reading it. 

I'd be very interested to see this

• 2 weeks later...

"King Leopold's Ghost"

Mentioned the book in the book thread a while back, just watched a documentary based on the book.

Horrific history of the 19th century exploitation of the Congo by Leopold of Belgium. 

In the centuries of European atrocities in Africa, Leopold stands out as a REALLY horrible cunt.

Some going.

• 4 weeks later...

"King Leopold's Ghost"

Out of curiosity, where did you get to watch that documentary?