You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Comfort food

Guest Pistonbroke

34 minutes ago, Champ said:

We made bubble and squeak from our leftover haggis, mashed potato and swede and had it with fried sliced sprouts and bacon. Better than the original

*dives for cover

A staple from my childhood diet. Not necessarily made from haggis, but I loved bubble and squeak. Haven’t had it for years though. Your post has made my tastebuds tingle. 

Another one from my childhood. My mum is half Scottish so used to make Stovies on a regular basis. Her version mainly used sausages, rather than roast beef, but the rest is the same. Pepper is the key to ensuring it bursts with flavour. 

Served up with garden peas and bread and butter. Tasty, filling and comforting.

83DB0AD5-0B07-4B46-8223-5206CB042912.jpeg

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, YorkshireRed said:

Another one from my childhood. My mum is half Scottish so used to make Stovies on a regular basis. Her version mainly used sausages, rather than roast beef, but the rest is the same. Pepper is the key to ensuring it bursts with flavour. 

Served up with garden peas and bread and butter. Tasty, filling and comforting.

83DB0AD5-0B07-4B46-8223-5206CB042912.jpeg

Stovies made with sausages is the food of the Gods.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Champ said:

We made bubble and squeak from our leftover haggis, mashed potato and swede and had it with fried sliced sprouts and bacon. Better than the original

*dives for cover

My nan who lived through the depression in the 30's, WW2 and rationing into the 50's knew how to make the most delicious meals on a shoestring and out of leftovers and carried on cooking that way before Alzheimer's struck in the mid 80's.

Every time you visited, whether she knew you were coming or not, there was always a pan on the back burner, low light, slow cooking and the house was always full of this amazing aroma.

Suet puddings, stewed apple, rice pudding with proper skin, you name it.

I miss her.

Edit, I forgot to mention her egg custard. She used to make them in enamel bowls which were donkeys years old and always had just the right amount of nutmeg.

Got something in my eye...

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, Harry's Lad said:

My nan who lived through the depression in the 30's, WW2 and rationing into the 50's knew how to make the most delicious meals on a shoestring and out of leftovers and carried on cooking that way before Alzheimer's struck in the mid 80's.

Every time you visited, whether she knew you were coming or not, there was always a pan on the back burner, low light, slow cooking and the house was always full of this amazing aroma.

I miss her.

Edit, I forgot to mention her egg custard. She used to make them in enamel bowls which were donkeys years old and always had just the right amount of nutmeg.

Boss mate, I wish I knew her!

Out of rep. 

• 1 year later...

I’ve gone right off fajitas but they’re one of the boy’s favourites. 

It’s the other way round with tacos. He doesn’t like them but I’ll sit there until every last bit is gone. 

It’s fajitas for tea in our house tonight so I decided I’m gonna let the greedy little bastard fill his boots and picked myself up six faggots from Sainsburys yesterday. 

Faggots, chips, mushy peas and three rounds of bread. Fuckin’ A. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

I’ve gone right off fajitas but they’re one of the boy’s favourites. 

It’s the other way round with tacos. He doesn’t like them but I’ll sit there until every last bit is gone. 

It’s fajitas for tea in our house tonight so I decided I’m gonna let the greedy little bastard fill his boots and picked myself up six faggots from Sainsburys yesterday. 

Faggots, chips, mushy peas and three rounds of bread. Fuckin’ A. 

Made fajitas last night along with potato wedges that had goose fat on them because I’d run out of olive oil and didn’t fancy waddling to the shops.  

Sensational scenes.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

Made fajitas last night along with potato wedges that had goose fat on them because I’d run out of olive oil and didn’t fancy waddling to the shops.  

Sensational scenes.

I love Fajitas but I'm proper shit with them. Two and I'm pretty much stuffed full. I couldn't have them with a boiled sweet let alone wedges 

On 30/01/2021 at 13:21, Harry's Lad said:

I miss her.

Did we share the same Nan!!!!!

3 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Mrs wants to make Shepherds pie for tonight.

I like it but on cold dark mid-week nights it always reminds me of having to eat loads of it before I was allowed to get down from the table to go and watch Grange Hill.  

Hahaha I know what you mean. Those shit dinners were a chore 

• Upvote 1

My mum used to make Stovies when I was a kid. I think if I was offered anything at all as comfort food, it would be her version of that.

Obviously it would need to be served with garden peas and several rounds of bread and butter. 

The homemade soups she made using whatever was left from the Sunday dinner would be up there as well. 

I haven’t had either dish in years. I miss them greatly.

I’d probably order these as a last meal on death row as well.

Not her lemon meringue pie though, that was shite. It needed drowning in carnation milk to make it half way edible. 

• Upvote 3

Good toasted bread and good butter 

Cheese on toast

Hot chocolate amd biscuits 

just getting in from shopping with my mum as a kid in the winter she'd do bacon sandwich. 

When out on a cold day a sausage roll or bag of chips

• Upvote 3

One of my comfort go-to meals is hour long Spag Bol- I dont fry the mince, I put all ingredients in a deep saucepan with loads of different seasonings and let it simmer slowly on a Sunday afternoon for hour/hour and a half while I start drinking far too early and invariably watch a film like Despicable me or The Hobbit which seem to be on on alternate weeks

• Like 1

My old Mum god bless her has been dead for nearly 20 years but my word  she could bake anything I suppose it was that generations forte , I was talking to my brother the other week and we both agreed her Apple pie was just the dogs bollocks, I'd love a piece again for obvious reasons. 

• Upvote 6

8 hours ago, Dr Nowt said:

Sensational scenes.

Take that to the Middle Class Generalisations thread, Nigella

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

My mum used to make Stovies when I was a kid. I think if I was offered anything at all as comfort food, it would be her version of that.

Obviously it would need to be served with garden peas and several rounds of bread and butter. 

The homemade soups she made using whatever was left from the Sunday dinner would be up there as well. 

I haven’t had either dish in years. I miss them greatly.

I’d probably order these as a last meal on death row as well.

Not her lemon meringue pie though, that was shite. It needed drowning in carnation milk to make it half way edible. 

What is a Stovie?