You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Other Football 22/23

Bjornebye

Would be a very significant change if it happened. I read trials are happening shortly but can't find a timeline.

A More Offensive Approach

Infantino proposed to the FIFA development director to find an improvement that would benefit offensive soccer. And Wenger thinks he's found it. The Frenchman thinks that the spectacle will grow and proposes that the offside rule change. His idea is based on allowing the striker to be ahead of the defender, as long as he keeps a part of his body in contact with which he can score a goal in line with the last defender.

Wenger has drawn inspiration from a study carried out in the Premier League that says offside calls would be cut in half. "At some point measures will be taken and it may even be determined that with five or six centimeters it is not offside. Everything is under study," authorized IFAB sources told MARCA. Of the four offsides on average in each game, only two would be offside with the change in the rule, something that could make it possible for the game to be more offensive

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.marca.com/en/football/2023/07/04/64a380dc268e3eeb7c8b4605.html

1 hour ago, Denny Crane said:

Would be a very significant change if it happened. I read trials are happening shortly but can't find a timeline.

A More Offensive Approach

Infantino proposed to the FIFA development director to find an improvement that would benefit offensive soccer. And Wenger thinks he's found it. The Frenchman thinks that the spectacle will grow and proposes that the offside rule change. His idea is based on allowing the striker to be ahead of the defender, as long as he keeps a part of his body in contact with which he can score a goal in line with the last defender.

Wenger has drawn inspiration from a study carried out in the Premier League that says offside calls would be cut in half. "At some point measures will be taken and it may even be determined that with five or six centimeters it is not offside. Everything is under study," authorized IFAB sources told MARCA. Of the four offsides on average in each game, only two would be offside with the change in the rule, something that could make it possible for the game to be more offensive

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.marca.com/en/football/2023/07/04/64a380dc268e3eeb7c8b4605.html

Yeah, deeper defences with more conservative marking, that'll be more entertaining.

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Can't approve of that at all.  Brazil is the greatest football nation on the planet, they can't have a Brazilian manager?

I think it's a sensible move. He is a high profile manager with a track record of handling strong characters in the dressing room. Brazil surely have great coaches, and they are indeed the greatest football nation as you rightly point out, but the national team manager role is less about coaching and more about leading. Ancelotti ticks all the boxes.

3 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

Can't approve of that at all.  Brazil is the greatest football nation on the planet, they can't have a Brazilian manager?

Anything that involves Liverpool not having to play his teams is massively approved by me. He's had a hoodoo over us ever since Istanbul, the fucking twat.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Nelly-Matip said:

Forest Green set to appoint the first female manager, albeit just as a caretaker. 

Big Dunc jibbed off. 

A caretaker appointment in July is a really weird move. Hopefully she gets a chance to actually lead for some games that matter.

33 minutes ago, Mook said:

Anything that involves Liverpool not having to play his teams is massively approved by me. He's had a hoodoo over us ever since Istanbul, the fucking twat.

He's a top top manager, one of the greats. He must have been pissing himself managing Everton. If Klopp was to go tomorrow Ancelotti would be the top of the list. The fuuuuume would be monumental. 

31 minutes ago, Pidge said:

A caretaker appointment in July is a really weird move. Hopefully she gets a chance to actually lead for some games that matter.

Agreed. It’ll be interesting to see how she does if she does get some proper game time. The Forest Green owner seems happy to divert from the traditional norms of the game, so it wouldn’t surprise me if she did secure a more permanent position. 

12 hours ago, Pidge said:

Yeah, deeper defences with more conservative marking, that'll be more entertaining.

That was my first thought -  it would penalise teams who play a high line but Wenger who is pushing for this - is no friend of pragmatic football.  Managed to find the first phase of the trials from under 18s and the small sample find a 0.35 increase in goals. I'm guessing the next stage is to trial at a higher level with a bigger set of matches. 

632 goals / 177 matches = 3.57 goal per match

Round 24 to Round 30 (plus the postponed match) that trialed the "daylight" offside rule:

247 goals / 63 matches = 3.92 goal per match

1 hour ago, halewood pete said:

Just seen a tweet by Chris Kirkland.Hes struggling with his mental health again and has sought professional help, he said Sunday night he was in a really dark place.Hope he gets well soon,great guy.

Poor sod, seems like one of the good guys too, I echo your sentiments with regard to him getting help.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

How's that working out for them? They haven't won the World Cup since 2002, and they've even only won one of the last five Copa Americas, and two of those were held in Brazil.

22 minutes ago, Elite said:

Joke that this under 21 semi isn't on TV.

Penalty to England. Looked suspiciously like an Antony Gordon dive for me.

VAR confirms the penalty. I think Gordon definitely initiated the contact. 

Justice is done as Gibbs-White puts the penalty wide.