You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Summer 2020 Transfer Thread

Captain Turdseye

10 hours ago, Doctor Troy said:

Ed Miliband:The Student Years.

It’s suspicious for Wolves to sign a teenager for that kind of money but it does happen every year where some unknown kid goes for stupid money, it’s just usually to Madrid or Barca. I’d imagine if Camavinga to Madrid gets done there’ll be a few winces.

After your disgracefully opportunistic championing of Neil Critchley in the pre-season thread yesterday, I’d be quiet, Rojo. Shameless, and yet as the game played out Klopp’s side hammered his. Serves you right for pushing the FSG line to get Klopp off the wage bill. FSG shill...

13 hours ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Well we need to be less reliant on the fullbacks or at least be able to switch it up especially if they keep crossing the ball and the forwards dont even bother to react like a cross might come in.

This is a pet hate of mine and the cause of the only thing I could possibly have criticism of the current team.

We score loads of goals, more than most, but we make dozens of chances from crosses that aren’t taken. 
My lad and I have argued previously about this, my take is that if we had a striker (as opposed to three of the best forwards in the game) then the striker would probably score around 20-25 goals a season from the chances the front three don’t take currently.

The lads argument is that it would disrupt the team balance, and to be fair, he’s got a point.

Perhaps Klopp and his staff have seen an opportunity to include a striker and keep the three amigos in the team with a modified formation, such as 4-2-3-1?

It might be the case that if we’re not spending money then Origi could be the striker, it’s another argument but I’ve also thought he’s more effective in the middle with his height and ability to get shots away than stuck away out on the wing.

19 hours ago, Scott_M said:

You not confused with Josh King?

I don’t believe it’s a buyers market either. Dortmund and Leverkusen have refused to budge on valuations for their star players (Leverkusen got what they wanted, Dortmund didn’t). 

£40m for Ake.

£50m for Chilwell. 

£40m for Van De Beek (Real Madrid had the same bid accepted before COVID19).

The only buyers market signings to me seem to be Ferran Torres and Rodrigo, which says more about Valencia than the market.

I think as many others have pointed out where the market has been, they're pretty good fees. 

18 hours ago, Scott_M said:

Wan Bissaka, Kyle Walker & Benjamin Mendy all went for c.£50m.

Chilwell is in the same bracket as those players. That’s not a buyers market, that’s market value. 

Seeing Ajax had already agreed to sell Van De Beek to Real Madrid before COVID19 for a similar amount, again, that’s market value. 

Havertz is £71m with bonuses, rising to c.£100m. That’s a similar price as Hazard, Bale & Ronaldo have commanded. Considering what those players have achieved, I don’t think that’s a low fee at all.  

Are you really bringing bale into this? It's a transfer from 7 or 8 years ago, at a time you could pick Suarez up for 20m! Havertz was being talked about at 120m only 6 months ago. And I've no idea which Ronaldo deal you're talking about, to Madrid? Or to juventus? To juventus it was a fortune for an old man and to Madrid it was 2009 you fucking nutter! 

And obviously not everyone is cheap, because not all clubs will have cashflow issues. But it means there are bargains to be had. Even deals like Werner have happened because this is a buyer's market. We wanted to wait, Werner wasn't against waiting according to reports from the athletic was it? And yet the deal happened - and I think most people will agree it was a good value deal, so while the fee was set in the contract, the deal was pushed through because RBL wanted a fee.

There are lots of willing sellers out there, far more than normal. Willing sellers will always drive prices down, it's a simple supply and demand scenario. You can even see it in our players. Wilson or gruic for example I am sure we'd snatch anyone's hands off at 15m when 12 months ago we'd have demanded at least 20m for both. 

35 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Even deals like Werner have happened because this is a buyer's market. We wanted to wait, Werner wasn't against waiting according to reports from the athletic was it? And yet the deal happened - and I think most people will agree it was a good value deal, so while the fee was set in the contract, the deal was pushed through because RBL wanted a fee.

He had a release fee in his contract as you mentioned that had an expiry date to it.  It was in Chelsea’s interest to get the deal done quick before we grew some balls and spent before selling anyone.  Hence the astronomical wages and agent fee they paid.  RBL were getting that money minimum regardless.

Oh dear, unrest in the chelsea ranks with these signings. The 'young lads' who carried Fwank's quest for glory last season are feeling they're being pushed out by these signings. The first to break ranks is Mason Mount who's supposedly not happy with Havertz signing meaning he'll get less game time if any.

Just now, J-V said:

He had a release fee in his contract that had an expiry date to it.  It was in Chelsea’s interest to get that deal done quick before we grew so balls and spent before selling anyone.  Hence the astronomical wages and agent fee they paid.  RBL were getting that money minimum regardless.

According to the athletic (so believe it or not), klopp asked him to wait a year (and trigger next year's lower release clause), he wasn't against that . Apparently rbl needed the money now. It's why he's a Chelsea pkayer. Had rbl not needed the money this summer there's every chance Werner would see another year out there and wait for us. RBL were very willing participants in the deal, perhaps even more willing than the player himself. Chelsea probably wouldn't have got a deal despite the release clause had RBL asked him to stay. 

7 minutes ago, Dr Nowt said:

If you ask me Origi isn’t quite as good at association football as Sadio Mane. 

I'm wondering if we'll get a bid from villa for divock. Ssn this morning saying villa had matched Newcastle's fee for Wilson, but Wilson wants Newcastle, so they've withdrawn their bid (a bit like resigning the day after you were sacked if you ask me). But clearly they're in the market for another forward and they've been linked with divock before. 

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

According to the athletic (so believe it or not), klopp asked him to wait a year (and trigger next year's lower release clause), he wasn't against that . Apparently rbl needed the money now. It's why he's a Chelsea pkayer. Had rbl not needed the money this summer there's every chance Werner would see another year out there and wait for us. RBL were very willing participants in the deal, perhaps even more willing than the player himself. Chelsea probably wouldn't have got a deal despite the release clause had RBL asked him to stay. 

Yeah, I don’t believe that.

3 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

The speed at which Werner accepted chelsea's shilling and the fact he was blabbing to the papers lampard had 'promised' him a title challenge with him in the side, leads me to the conclusion that the Athletic are talking complete and utter bollocks.

Maybe you should get a job with them then, you'd fit in well. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think as many others have pointed out where the market has been, they're pretty good fees. 

Are you really bringing bale into this? It's a transfer from 7 or 8 years ago, at a time you could pick Suarez up for 20m! Havertz was being talked about at 120m only 6 months ago. And I've no idea which Ronaldo deal you're talking about, to Madrid? Or to juventus? To juventus it was a fortune for an old man and to Madrid it was 2009 you fucking nutter! 

And obviously not everyone is cheap, because not all clubs will have cashflow issues. But it means there are bargains to be had. Even deals like Werner have happened because this is a buyer's market. We wanted to wait, Werner wasn't against waiting according to reports from the athletic was it? And yet the deal happened - and I think most people will agree it was a good value deal, so while the fee was set in the contract, the deal was pushed through because RBL wanted a fee.

There are lots of willing sellers out there, far more than normal. Willing sellers will always drive prices down, it's a simple supply and demand scenario. You can even see it in our players. Wilson or gruic for example I am sure we'd snatch anyone's hands off at 15m when 12 months ago we'd have demanded at least 20m for both. 

For god sake, stop being such a miserable, pedantic individual.

From following Fjortoft and a few other German journalists on Twitter, from what they've posted, the price for Havertz has always been £100m, which with the add-ons, Leverkusen have got.

Sancho has always been £120m, which the mancs won't currently pay.

The players I've listed are comparable in price to Havertz. Ronaldo, Hazard & Griezman all went for a similar ball park figure as Havertz last summer (pretty sure you could have worked that). That indicates to me, Chelsea haven't got themselves a bargain as they've paid a similar fee for somebody who has achieved significantly less than the aforementioned players.

Similar to the full backs I named. Chelsea haven't gotten a bargain for Chilwell, they've paid market rate.

Werner was a bargain at £55m. Whether we're sold on him on not, that price for Germany's number 9 is a great deal. But that wasn't brought on because of great negotiating by Chelsea, it was a contractual obligation they took advantage of.

Also, the summer Bale went to Madrid, we rejected £40m +£1 from Arsenal, no so, Suarez couldn't have been bought for £20m, he'd already been with us 18 months at that point.

It's very possible some players values will come down this summer, especially closer to the window closing as clubs want players off the wage book. But so far, unless you can show some factual examples, that hasn't been the case. And unless you can show examples of bargains or a buyers market, I'm not interested in seeing a reply. 

• Upvote 1