You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

moof

16 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

Because you shouldn’t be prevented from travelling and watching your national team in a World Cup finals. 

Why should, for example a Welsh gay bloke who has followed his country home and abroad for decades not get to see them play live at a World Cup finals? 

After having to face discrimination, negative bias and open homophobia for decades why should he now stop fighting for his rights and stay at home and miss out on quite possibly a once in a life time opportunity? 

It’s a fucking stupid question and deliberately provocative. 

Negged. 

I didn't ask that question. I asked why you'd want to go to Qatar if you were LGBT+

You can get all offended if you like, but your apparent outrage is pretty pathetic.

59 minutes ago, m0e said:

Yes. And Qatar doesn't offer that.

So why would you want to step foot in that country?

Why should they be invisible?  Or made to feel invisible?  Is it inconceivable to you that an oppressed minority might want to assert their identity?  Maybe not even in a visible protest way, but as a self-validating statement?

25 minutes ago, m0e said:

Yeah. So let's all make a big deal about it 4 years after the announcement.

Do you understand anything about the news cycle?  When the environmental apocalypse finally bites, you'll be able to huddle around your charred tin of Heinz beans and say, "Ah, I get it now.  It's only when something is actually happening that it's news."

28 minutes ago, m0e said:

Are you gay?

Classic.

5 minutes ago, razor said:

Why should they be invisible?  Or made to feel invisible?  Is it inconceivable to you that an oppressed minority might want to assert their identity?  Maybe not even in a visible protest way, but as a self-validating statement?

They absolutely shouldn't be invisible. That's exactly the point. By going there, they either have to be, or they'll be put in cells.

This is a classic case of the holier than thou brigade making a massive deal about something when its far too late, and that should have been tackled head on when it happened.

It's the same for the LGBT fans of Man City and Newcastle.

So I'll ask again. Why would anyone from that group even consider stepping foot inside that shithole?

• Downvote 1

I don’t think that’s fair Moe, I didn’t like it then and I don’t like it now. I don’t think it’s ‘holier than thou’ to continue giving the same opinion at the start of the tournament. I actually don’t understand your objection here. Are we supposed to just shut up because we’ve known about it for years? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I don’t think that’s fair Moe, I didn’t like it then and I don’t like it now. I don’t think it’s ‘holier than thou’ to continue giving the same opinion at the start of the tournament. I actually don’t understand your objection here. Are we supposed to just shut up because we’ve known about it for years? 

Everyone in the LGBT group that I have contact with kicked up an absolutely massive fuss when it was announced.

It's everyone else I have an issue with.

No one is supposed to shut up. That's exactly what they're asking you to do when you get there.

It's best to vote with your feet, as they say.

29 minutes ago, m0e said:

So I'll ask again. Why would anyone from that group even consider stepping foot inside that shithole?

I've stepped in here half way through a conversation that I simply can't be arsed to read so forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick but I imagine they would go for the same reasons that tens of thousands of others are going, to watch football and support their nation (yuk!).  Probably thinking they have a right not to be excluded.

Just now, Torvald Utne said:

I've stepped in here half way through a conversation that I simply can't be arsed to read so forgive me if I've got the wrong end of the stick but I imagine they would go for the same reasons that tens of thousands of others are going, to watch football and support their nation (yuk!).

In a place that doesn't welcome them?

If they're happy to do that, happy days. I wouldn't.