You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

moof

2 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Am I the only one seeing this as a potentially good thing? 

No fan violence. 

Positive, vocal support for each team. 

Locals having a great time, and paid.  

It's interesting. 

To me it's several levels above a club paying to put little plastic flags on each seat. 

The actual fans haven't arrived yet, it's just a load of migrant workers doing overtime waving. So there could still be trouble. 

Just very artificial 

9 minutes ago, Aventus said:

To me it's several levels above a club paying to put little plastic flags on each seat. 

The actual fans haven't arrived yet, it's just a load of migrant workers doing overtime waving. So there could still be trouble. 

Just very artificial 

I mean, no, it's not how I want football in this country, but I'm mildly interested in seeing how it makes the Qatar stadiums feel on matchday. The players won't care, at all. They may even perform better, less tense, it's just good, albeit artificial, vibes. 

I'm in a weird prism of both looking forward to the world cup and also looking forward to the whole Qatar chapter come to an abrupt end.  After 12 fucking years, it's been like a stone in everyone's shoe all this time, and we can finally shake the fucker out next month. 

12 hours ago, Dave D said:

Im confused why there was uproar about gay people not being able to watch their team at the World Cup?

Why not? Your sexual preference isnt on your passport? Just go and watch the game.  

It's like German Jews in the 1930s. If they'd just kept their Jewishness to themselves, they would have been fine.

Like Lloris says, you just have to respect local traditions.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's like German Jews in the 1930s. If they'd just kept their Jewishness to themselves, they would have been fine.

Like Lloris says, you just have to respect local traditions.

Not sure Genocide is on the table at The World Cup

12 hours ago, ManéMan said:

The far-ish right got over 40 % of the vote at the recent Presidential elections, so I imagine statistically there will be a sprinkling of this sort of sentiment in the squad. It's like when people are surprised that Italian footballers are found to be right-leaning.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

In fairness, nobody was sure it was on the table in 1939s Germany.

56 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

Maybe those 6 million Jews died of natural causes too, just like the migrant workers?

Im still not sure where the genocide of 6million Jews comes into this conversation     

47 minutes ago, Dave D said:

Im still not sure where the genocide of 6million Jews comes into this conversation     

How about the tens of thousands of murdered LGBT+ people? Can you see where they come into it?

https://www.hmd.org.uk/learn-about-the-holocaust-and-genocides/nazi-persecution/gay-people/

The bottom line is that "people will be OK, if they just pretend to be something they're not" is a bit shit.

1 hour ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

How about the tens of thousands of murdered LGBT+ people? Can you see where they come into it?

https://www.hmd.org.uk/learn-about-the-holocaust-and-genocides/nazi-persecution/gay-people/

The bottom line is that "people will be OK, if they just pretend to be something they're not" is a bit shit.

Im not defending Qatars record on any subject- I did suggest that gay people could go and watch football at the World Cup if they choose as surely their sexuality will not come into it at any point? Maybe Im wrong on that? 

In the same way that visitors may not agree with strict religious beliefs- unless your planning to protest you should be just fine if you are just going to watch football.   

You keep using examples of huge death figures at largely at the hands of the Nazis which is a bit weird. 

4 hours ago, sir roger said:

Did Suarez not make the Uruguay squad ?

Speaking of which, let's go down World Cup memory lane. 

Thinking back he could be a slightly controversial young fella on the odd occasion could our Luis. 

Edited by Gnasher
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, Gnasher said:

Speaking of which, let's go down World Cup memory lane. 

Thinking back he could be a slightly controversial young fella on the odd occasion could our Luis. 

They've got a shout.

Looking at all the teams, there's no outright favourite, every squad has deficiencies. 

France are liable to implode under pressure, Benzema and Mbappe will be competing with each other, not working together. Tchouameni though, awesome.  

The most complete squad for me is Holland, but Depay and Berwijn are flaky as fuck. 

I'd have an outside bet on Mitrovic as top scorer, him and Vlahovic are potent and it's Mitrovic who scores more goals for them at present.  He's 66/1 for top scorer.  

Uruguay will battle, are little-fancied, but Nunez and Suarez are potentially a great combo on top of a hard-working and scrappy side.  

12 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

They've got a shout.

Looking at all the teams, there's no outright favourite, every squad has deficiencies. 

France are liable to implode under pressure, Benzema and Mbappe will be competing with each other, not working together. Tchouameni though, awesome.  

The most complete squad for me is Holland, but Depay and Berwijn are flaky as fuck. 

I'd have an outside bet on Mitrovic as top scorer, him and Vlahovic are potent and it's Mitrovic who scores more goals for them at present.  He's 66/1 for top scorer.  

Uruguay will battle, are little-fancied, but Nunez and Suarez are potentially a great combo on top of a hard-working and scrappy side.  

Uruguay v South Korea should be a good game as it will likely decide who gets out of that group with Portugal.