You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transgender stuff - what's going on?

Gym Beglin

There is some article on some US radio comic quitting his show or threatening to quit over Demi Lovato jokes (being instructed not to tell them), but more interestingly, the article offers the link to Lovato's April announcement about cutting her (at the time) hair.

“I cut my hair because I just wanted to free myself of all of the gender and sexuality norms that were placed on me as a Christian in the South,” Lovato, who was brought up in Texas, said.

“When I cut my hair, I felt so liberated because I wasn’t subscribing to an ideal or a belief placed upon me to be something that I’m not.”

Just imagine a women walking around with short hair in the US.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/demi-lovato-hair-b1832447.html

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

There’s a woman in Scotland who’s been required to attend a police station over a tweet in which she says a man with a beard isn’t a woman. I think we can file that along with things that were said wouldn’t happen. 

That is truly milacious.

29 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

There’s a woman in Scotland who’s been required to attend a police station over a tweet in which she says a man with a beard isn’t a woman. I think we can file that along with things that were said wouldn’t happen. 

I'm not sure this is the whole story - if you read the thread some are claiming that she has deleted the offending tweets (stuff about integrating paedophiles into the LGTB+ community). The police were probably hoping to sort this out quietly - she wasn't being charged so I imagine they wanted to make her aware of the law regarding what can and cannot be tweeted. 

35 minutes ago, mars said:

I'm not sure this is the whole story - if you read the thread some are claiming that she has deleted the offending tweets (stuff about integrating paedophiles into the LGTB+ community). The police were probably hoping to sort this out quietly - she wasn't being charged so I imagine they wanted to make her aware of the law regarding what can and cannot be tweeted. 

You have no basis to say that about the police.  Particularly when they suggested social services could be on hand.  

1 hour ago, Rico1304 said:

You have no basis to say that about the police.  Particularly when they suggested social services could be on hand.  

Hence "probably" and "I imagine". They have to act on any complaint they receive - don't you think a quiet word, if that is what this is, would be the best way to deal with this for all concerned? And weren't social services on hand to look after her two autistic children while she was being interviewed?

1 hour ago, mars said:

Hence "probably" and "I imagine". They have to act on any complaint they receive - don't you think a quiet word, if that is what this is, would be the best way to deal with this for all concerned? And weren't social services on hand to look after her two autistic children while she was being interviewed?

In which case wouldn’t it be easier for the officer to arrange to see her at home? Or her local station. And it’s an interview now, not a quiet word. 

42 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

In which case wouldn’t it be easier for the officer to arrange to see her at home? Or her local station. And it’s an interview now, not a quiet word. 

You're right - it's not a quiet word but an interview under caution (I am hazy on police procedure). Doesn't that mean the police have evidence that she has broken the Malicious Communication Act? Hard to judge whether the police are overreacting without being able to see what she tweeted.

8 hours ago, Section_31 said:

The fuck, how can you be non sexually but romantically attracted to someone?

I'm starting to suspect some of this is being made up on the fly.

E2KJJtrXIAAVJL_.jpeg

It's like when you can appreciate the romance of The Lady & The Tramp, without wanting to have sex with either of the cartoon dogs involved.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Jose Jones said:

It's like when you can appreciate the romance of The Lady & The Tramp, without wanting to have sex with either of the cartoon dogs involved.

No it's not. I can "appreciate" the romance of Brokeback Mountain but I don't want to date either of them.

OK, maybe Jake.

• Upvote 1

On 24/05/2021 at 12:29, mars said:

Can I ask for clarification on this? 

I live in America and I realise the UK version of "freedom of speech" is a little different but surely there aren't laws about what you can and can't tweet? Or does such a law exist?

9 hours ago, Ne Moe Imya said:

Can I ask for clarification on this? 

I live in America and I realise the UK version of "freedom of speech" is a little different but surely there aren't laws about what you can and can't tweet? Or does such a law exist?

There is a law - the Malicious Communication Act - that tries to hit a balance between free speech and preventing people from tweeting something that is grossly offensive, might incite violence, or is misinformation. The Act does seem to have much common sense built into it, eg what people post on here would probably not fall foul of the act because people have opted to sign up to the forum and any "dodgy" posts will be deemed banter or sarcasm or hyperbole (and you'll be negged from here to eternity and have the piss taken out of you remorselessly). Tweeting hits a much bigger audience and the Act takes this into account.

In the case that Rico cited, it is very difficult to judge whether the Act has been sensibly applied as it is likely any offending tweets were quickly deleted (you are less likely to be prosecuted if you show regret at what you have said and one way to do this is to delete stuff as soon as possible). If what has been posted is true - the person involved will have a formal interview and may be charged - then I doubt that is a decision that a senior police officer will have taken lightly. PC Laura Daley, the named officer, will not have made the decision despite what some people were tweeting about her.

If anyone reading this a police officer or barrister, please jump in and correct any bollocks I have spouted.

Here's a helpful (but long) article if you want to know more

https://www.bestcriminaldefencebarrister.co.uk/criminal-defence-barrister-blog/2018/striking-a-balance-malicious-communication-act-and-free-speech.aspx

Interesting experience on Monday with some mates down the park. We hadn't seen each other for ages and were just having a catchup. 

Me mate's Mrs has a teenage girl and she started talking about how four of her mates are now transgender (apparently one is non binary and asks to be known by the name 'parenthesis'), which me mate's Mrs refuses to do so has been branded 'homophobic' by her daughter. 

I'd made the point though (as I've made on here) that I think the younger generation are generally more accepting of people's differences than we were, to which she replied 'they are, unless you don't agree with them', citing the grief she gets off her kid.

Apparently a group of girls nearby had overheard all this and, as if to illustrate her point, spent the next few hours shouting 'trans bigots' randomly, and 'I'm gay!', topped off with 'kiddie fiddler' due to the fact one of my mates was holding his baby. 

I mused to us all how what we really need was some kind of Elf Gray Havens from Lord of  the Rings, where everyone over 30 can go and find peace, and this lot can remain behind to just go increasingly nuts. 

What a time to be alive! 

22 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Interesting experience on Monday with some mates down the park. We hadn't seen each other for ages and were just having a catchup. 

Me mate's Mrs has a teenage girl and she started talking about how four of her mates are now transgender (apparently one is non binary and asks to be known by the name 'parenthesis'), which me mate's Mrs refuses to do so has been branded 'homophobic' by her daughter. 

I'd made the point though (as I've made on here) that I think the younger generation are generally more accepting of people's differences than we were, to which she replied 'they are, unless you don't agree with them', citing the grief she gets off her kid.

Apparently a group of girls nearby had overheard all this and, as if to illustrate her point, spent the next few hours shouting 'trans bigots' randomly, and 'I'm gay!', topped off with 'kiddie fiddler' due to the fact one of my mates was holding his baby. 

I mused to us all how what we really need was some kind of Elf Gray Havens from Lord of  the Rings, where everyone over 30 can go and find peace, and this lot can remain behind to just go increasingly nuts. 

What a time to be alive! 

Think I'll give that park a miss.

21 hours ago, mars said:

There is a law - the Malicious Communication Act - that tries to hit a balance between free speech and preventing people from tweeting something that is grossly offensive, might incite violence, or is misinformation. The Act does seem to have much common sense built into it, eg what people post on here would probably not fall foul of the act because people have opted to sign up to the forum and any "dodgy" posts will be deemed banter or sarcasm or hyperbole (and you'll be negged from here to eternity and have the piss taken out of you remorselessly). Tweeting hits a much bigger audience and the Act takes this into account.

In the case that Rico cited, it is very difficult to judge whether the Act has been sensibly applied as it is likely any offending tweets were quickly deleted (you are less likely to be prosecuted if you show regret at what you have said and one way to do this is to delete stuff as soon as possible). If what has been posted is true - the person involved will have a formal interview and may be charged - then I doubt that is a decision that a senior police officer will have taken lightly. PC Laura Daley, the named officer, will not have made the decision despite what some people were tweeting about her.

If anyone reading this a police officer or barrister, please jump in and correct any bollocks I have spouted.

Here's a helpful (but long) article if you want to know more

https://www.bestcriminaldefencebarrister.co.uk/criminal-defence-barrister-blog/2018/striking-a-balance-malicious-communication-act-and-free-speech.aspx

I very much doubt its you but Rico spouting bollocks, he does it all the time, invents shit to suit whatever weirdo little agenda happens to be buzzing between his ears at the time..

Hes the male version of Frances although at least she holds the excuse of being totally fucking hammered,

On 22/05/2021 at 15:47, SasaS said:

There is some article on some US radio comic quitting his show or threatening to quit over Demi Lovato jokes (being instructed not to tell them), but more interestingly, the article offers the link to Lovato's April announcement about cutting her (at the time) hair.

“I cut my hair because I just wanted to free myself of all of the gender and sexuality norms that were placed on me as a Christian in the South,” Lovato, who was brought up in Texas, said.

“When I cut my hair, I felt so liberated because I wasn’t subscribing to an ideal or a belief placed upon me to be something that I’m not.”

Just imagine a women walking around with short hair in the US.

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/demi-lovato-hair-b1832447.html

feo8ity4dm071.jpg

43 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

What a time to be alive! 

There’s a very good book by Abigail Shrier that attempts to explain it.  Well worth an Audible credit if you have one.  Some heartbreaking stories in the book.