You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

There’s definitely a bit of needle between Sterling and our players. Henderson had a nibble at him in the first leg and he didn’t like it. You could tell by his reaction there’s some history there. It’s odd because you’d think they’d all be mates especially through England and stuff.

Personally I think it’s great. Hendo takes a lot shit but he’s red through and through in my eyes and I reckon he took the Sterling acting the cunt to leave personally. So he fucking should as well mind. Van Dijk getting in on the act with that little troll is the icing on the cake.

Fucking quality. When we lost at Swansea or conceded a couple of goals all the bad dickhead pundits were saying he was a waste of money. I hope he is the captain next week.

My only criticism and it's not solely down to him is that we haven't really utilised his threat off corners and set pieces. I thought after the Everton game we would score a lot more.

Really hope that we get a decent centre back in the summer to play alongside him.

He's had a positive effect on the entire back line, but individually I think people are exaggerating how good he's been. 

Right now, I don't think he's playing at his full capacity, especially in his positioning and reading of the game. Talent-wise, you can see he's one of the best in the world, but it will be about proving it on the pitch next year after a full summer of training and acclimatizing.

I think you must have missed the bit where he’s headed every single ball that’s come near him whether he’s getting challenged by other big cunts or not. That alone basically deals with the majority of our problems. Separate to that he’s pretty fantastic on the ball himself.

• Upvote 1

I loved Sami Hyypia but Van Dijk is better. The aerial dominance is there, though I’d like big Virg to score a few more, like Sami did. But apart from that Van Dijk is faster and also better on the ball. Hyypia used his nous to cover for his lack of pace, and he wasn’t bad on the ball, but the game Van Dijk plays hits it long and short. Absolutely no discredit whatsoever to Sami though, as he was a tremendous player.

Van Dijk needs to build on this and do it over a span of several seasons, and if he does, and hopefully along the way we pick up trophies, and not just smaller ones, then he will go down as one of our greats.

I’m happy to concede that there’s a long way to go for that. Let’s enjoy the ride and see.

I loved Sami Hyypia but Van Dijk is better. The aerial dominance is there, though I’d like big Virg to score a few more, like Sami did. But apart from that Van Dijk is faster and also better on the ball. Hyypia used his nous to cover for his lack of pace, and he wasn’t bad on the ball, but the game Van Dijk plays hits it long and short. Absolutely no discredit whatsoever to Sami though, as he was a tremendous player.

Van Dijk needs to build on this and do it over a span of several seasons, and if he does, and hopefully along the way we pick up trophies, and not just smaller ones, then he will go down as one of our greats.

I’m happy to concede that there’s a long way to go for that. Let’s enjoy the ride and see.

Van Dijk isn’t better than Sami.

That's conclusive enough for me.

Fuck sake.

Sami at his best, was one of the best defenders in the league when the league was full of world class defenders. Van Dijk is one of the best in the league now, but the caliber of defenders at the moment isn’t nearly as good as it was back then.

VVD would probably have scored Firmino's header if he hadn't had a shout from him. He was immense once more against Roma,we just need to find him a decent partner.

He’s a long way to go to get even half as good as Sami at scoring.

Sami scored for 10 years running from CB iirc.

• Upvote 1