You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Virgil Van Dijk

Paco

I have compelling reasons not to do the research (ie I couldn't be arsed) but Robbo replaced Morono at about the same time as VVD arrived. Good as he is, I doubt if he would be as much of a stand out if he was playing alongside Morono

Terrible post. Awful.
  • Upvote 2

He’s amazing, but Scottish football doesn’t count. Some of those teams probably dragged a few lads out of nursing homes to make up the numbers. Think Hibs were fined for playing a stray dog at left back for four games that season too.

I'm an idiot. That's Barcelona he's bossing at the age of 22. What a player.

Great buy by Celtic too. Crazy that he went to Southampton rather than somewhere bigger after that.

Why was no one else in for him last summer?

Did he tell them "Liverpool or nothing"?

City paid 47.5 for Stones, so clearly price is no object for them, even for defenders.

After Blackpool and him coming back with a sign me quick, hat. There was only one destination for him. 

• 2 weeks later...

I like to imagine Big Virg re-enacting the police station shootout scene from Terminator (politely) but with the 70s Brazil team instead, while Tim Lovejoy and a bunch of 90s footy fans sit at home watching it on the telly and cry. Meanwhile me and Rafa watch and nod approvingly.  

An anti-football force of nature, where football comes to die.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

It was night and day with him out of the side last night.  I know it was Lovrens first competitive game in a while but the difference was painful to watch.  You have to give the players some leeway I think because it’s not like one or two of them coming into a settled side.  Most of the side was changed but we just looked so weak contesting for balls in the air.

I remember Carragher saying one player can’t fix that because one player can’t just go and win everything.  I agreed with him at the time.  He was wrong though because that’s exactly what Van DIjk has done.  Last night was a reminder of just how important he is.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Whole sale changes last night so it wasn't a true reflection on the question of - what would we do if we lose VVD for a period of time.

My gut feel is, we could get by and whilst we wouldn't be at our strongest, we wouldn't be as tragic as we have been historically. 

The bigger worry, is if we lose Robertson, that worries me more than VVD, as Moreno is far too erratic and inconsistent to be let lose on this team for more than 90 minutes at most. 

1 minute ago, Chip Butty said:

Whole sale changes last night so it wasn't a true reflection on the question of - what would we do if we lose VVD for a period of time.

My gut feel is, we could get by and whilst we wouldn't be at our strongest, we wouldn't be as tragic as we have been historically. 

The bigger worry, is if we lose Robertson, that worries me more than VVD, as Moreno is far too erratic and inconsistent to be let lose on this team for more than 90 minutes at most. 

Just play Milner left back next to Van Dijk and we’d be okay.