You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election Thread 2016

Red Phoenix

It's early, but the thought of the Donald Trump thread being the only one for the elections this year is bugging me. Am not trying to have the Donald thread sink, just to have another for other parties, candidates, and election related discussion.

So I'll start with this, which I just found and love :

i4ymivL.png

https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/756189114987192320

And two things I read recently that give both sides of the Stein/Green Party argument :

An article absolutely tearing into Stein and the Green Party : http://www.thestranger.com/slog/2016/07/19/24362128/dan-savage-on-jill-stein-just-no

The response : http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/why-dan-savage-is-dead-wrong-about-jill-stein-and-the_us_5790e5ace4b0a86259d0dc25

It's early, but the thought of the Donald Trump thread being the only one for the elections this year is bugging me. Am not trying to have the Donald thread sink, just to have another for other parties, candidates, and election related discussion.

So I'll start with this, which I just found and love :

i4ymivL.png

https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/756189114987192320

245ekw8.jpg

• Upvote 2

245ekw8.jpg

If the American people give enough of a shit they'll dump Clinton and vote for someone else enough. They have 4 months. If Sanders supporters leave the dems in droves after the convention and join Stein, we might be surprised. If the American public then notice how shit Hillary is if Sanders supporters leave her, and see that it's going to be almost impossible for her to beat Trump, then from that moment onwards a vote for Clinton is a vote for Trump. Then the American public has to move. The dems have to fail (too big like some banks maybe?) and something big needs to change.

There's a dangerous clown that's rose up out of nowhere to take the Republican nomination, someone from the other side of the spectrum can rise up too. Or are we pretending that the American public doesn't have the ability to back someone other than Clinton in four whole months? Maybe it's a real long walk to the polling station?

No, if Clinton is sinking soon, then it switches = a vote for Clinton is a vote for Trump. The American public then have the responsibility of finding and backing someone else. The whole thing can flip quickly.

This is why you should have a real left to hold these clowns in check. The Democratic party is the fake left. Clinton voters are the fake left.

If the dems and Clinton are so right and good, then Stein shouldn't matter. She matters because they're not good enough.

• Upvote 1

Stop, just stop. The serial delusion is painful to watch.

The next President is going to be Trump or Clinton. Nobody else. Give up this fantasy that Jill Stein has an iceberg in hell's chance of achieving anything other than being the spoiler that delivers the White House to Drumpf.

If you can't see that Hillary Clinton is the massively smaller of two evils, I feel very, very sorry for you.

• Upvote 1

Stop, just stop. The serial delusion is painful to watch.

The next President is going to be Trump or Clinton. Nobody else. Give up this fantasy that Jill Stein has an iceberg in hell's chance of achieving anything other than being the spoiler that delivers the White House to Drumpf.

If you can't see that Hillary Clinton is the massively smaller of two evils, I feel very, very sorry for you.

It'll never change looking at things like that, there'll always be the evil and the lesser evil, and imagining anyone else taking part should be accompanied by feelings of guilt and stupidity, etc, and being an accomplice in the acts of the greater evil if you dare to step out of line. No, you don't create change by voting for the lesser evil each time. At some point you have to look for another solution.

Do you think the world can just happily tick along like this and maybe some decade there'll be two evils that are lesser enough for people to say "Ok, these two evils aren't so bad this time. Go on then greens, and other parties. We're fine with you trying to change this two party system now." That's if the environment is still working enough to keep us alive of course. It's always going to be a bad time to try it properly when you have two parties that are so broken (to the point that they maybe thrive off the evil and lesser evil just to seem important and distract people from other options.) But it has to start somewhere.

If Stein and the greens take dem votes, like I said, that's because the dems aren't good enough. If they're good enough, they shouldn't have to fear another party causing problems. If the American people are bothered enough, they'll turn up in big numbers to support Clinton so that Trump doesn't win, and we'll maybe still see a strong Green Party at the end of it too.

But then we have years of lesser evil Clinton to deal with, which will be a regular reminder of why another party appearing is so important, like is probably happening now.

Clinton cannot lose this.

No one over here even knows who the fuck Jill Stein is.

Trumo will implode, the US will become even more divided and gun sales will be through the roof.

Harsh on trumo, though he is a bit of a loose cannon.

• Upvote 1

Red Phoenix, on 22 Jul 2016 - 08:15 AM, said:

If the American people give enough of a shit they'll dump Clinton and vote for someone else enough. They have 4 months. If Sanders supporters leave the dems in droves after the convention and join Stein, we might be surprised. If the American public then notice how shit Hillary is if Sanders supporters leave her, and see that it's going to be almost impossible for her to beat Trump, then from that moment onwards a vote for Clinton is a vote for Trump. Then the American public has to move. The dems have to fail (too big like some banks maybe?) and something big needs to change.

There's a dangerous clown that's rose up out of nowhere to take the Republican nomination, someone from the other side of the spectrum can rise up too. Or are we pretending that the American public doesn't have the ability to back someone other than Clinton in four whole months? Maybe it's a real long walk to the polling station?

No, if Clinton is sinking soon, then it switches = a vote for Clinton is a vote for Trump. The American public then have the responsibility of finding and backing someone else. The whole thing can flip quickly.

This is why you should have a real left to hold these clowns in check. The Democratic party is the fake left. Clinton voters are the fake left.

If the dems and Clinton are so right and good, then Stein shouldn't matter. She matters because they're not good enough.

You're kidding yourself RP. Stein is polling at 4%. 4%!

Hillary isn't a great candidate and is disliked by many so there's definitely room for a third party candidate, but Trump is the worst presidential candidate of all time.

People on the left will make a choice and if it's close they'll vote to stop Trump.

KopOut, on 22 Jul 2016 - 4:24 PM, said:

I'm pissed off with Bernie Sanders. To endorse Clinton is to sell out.

I don't feel the Bern anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Except they agree on about 90% of things and stood for the same political party.

Never thought he'd win until the other night but I'm starting to think he will. The problem is Clinton, the electorate is faced with what it perceives to be a 'broken America' and has the choice of either someone perceived as 'radical' promising them the Earth, or someone who's already been part of the establishment for decades. 

Except they agree on about 90% of things and stood for the same political party.

No Independent has ever taken the Whitehouse. Sanders had no other real option. Sanders and Clinton are as different as chalk and cheese.

Even if much of their social policy matches, which I seriously question-that small percentile of difference is still a vast gulf.

Sanders will shut down wall street whereas The Clinton crime family is owned by wallstreet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

Never thought he'd win until the other night but I'm starting to think he will. The problem is Clinton, the electorate is faced with what it perceives to be a 'broken America' and has the choice of either someone perceived as 'radical' promising them the Earth, or someone who's already been part of the establishment for decades.

It wouldn't surprise me, this after all is the country that voted in Reagan and Bush Jr twice each.

After the anti-establishment, anti-immigration vote to leave the EU here, I can see a similar result in the States on the same sort of grounds. Trump is playing on the same kinds of fears as Vote Leave did here.

You're kidding yourself RP. Stein is polling at 4%. 4%!

Of course she's polling at 4%. Hardly anyone even knew who she was until the media started reporting that she'd offered Sanders her place in the Green Party if he wanted to leave the dems. But a week from now that could change in quite a big way if Sanders supporters, after seeing what happens at the dem convention, decide to join her. A lot of them seem to be waiting for the convention before doing anything, which is probably wise if they're focused on making their voices heard there after months of supporting Sanders.

Anyway, it's not as if I have loads invested in the idea of Stein becoming president, that'd be insane. But to think it's impossible that she could do well is also off.

Even if much of their social policy matches, which I seriously question-that small percentile of difference is still a vast gulf.

Completely agreed, and I already had this conversation with Jose in the Trump thread a short while back I think.