You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

US Election Thread 2016

Red Phoenix

I guess they see each case as different, I wouldn't go into Libya myself, I would leave Syria alonef. My point is, I don't see what makes her so much different from Kerry, Obama, Bill, Jimmy Carter... who all seem a significantly better choice than Trump, and possibility of his election is the  black could looming on the horizon of history, not her.

I don't think she is so much different to them. She doesn't have the charisma or aura of her husband or Obama to charm people into forgetting her policies/opinions. I think she's also a victim of the time. People are fucking sick of corporate, neo liberal, war mongering, centrist politicians. We've had decades of it. 

She does seem rather more dedicated to war than those you've listed, and it's visible. The others are, possibly, at least better at pretending they don't like it. Pretending they had exhausted other options.

I think it's utter bullshit to pretend the left dislike her because she's a woman. There have been calls for Elizabeth Warren to run for ages, and lots of women despise Clinton. Presumably because they realise that she's going to do very little to improve the lives of the vast majority of women. 

The "you have to vote Clinton because of Trump" is something many Sanders supporters are probably sick of, they feel like they've taken hostage by the system. Where is the guarantee that the next Republican candidate won't be another far right lunatic? And where is the guarantee that the Democrat won't chase them to the right. Line in the sand stuff, like we have here.

• Upvote 1

If I was Wall Street, I'd be on the phone with Gordon Brown. I think he could do a job and might even surprise a few people.

Big fish in a small pond, no guarantee he'd make the step up. The pressure and expectations in America are infinitely higher than in the UK.

• Upvote 1

Big fish in a small pond, no guarantee he'd make the step up. The pressure and expectations in America are infinitely higher than in the UK.

I know because he wasn't arsed about Corrie, mongs like you hate him, but Wall Street are a bit brighter.

The last time the economic order was under threat, he was instrumental in saving it.

I reckon with more institutional support, he'd be a good President.

I am surprised that Clinton has picked a right winger as a running mate.

Kaine seems to be well-regarded, but I don't think a pro-Bankers & anti-abortion guy will thrill the Sanders voters.

Bit harsh to describe him as anti-abortion. He's against it personally, but is fully supportive of women's reproductive rights.

A lot of folk mistakenly think that liberalism is about approving of everything a person does - it isn't, it's about tolerating what people do.

I am surprised that Clinton has picked a right winger as a running mate.

Kaine seems to be well-regarded, but I don't think a pro-Bankers & anti-abortion guy will thrill the Sanders voters.

Yeah, I found that surprising. It's a bit of a "fuck off" to all the Sanders supporters. Some of which, presumably, she'll need to vote for her.

I know because he wasn't arsed about Corrie, mongs like you hate him, but Wall Street are a bit brighter.

The last time the economic order was under threat, he was instrumental in saving it.

I reckon with more institutional support, he'd be a good President.

One good season in 2008/09, and he owed us that after years of underperforming.

America is never going to regain its former greatness if it keeps signing leaders from smaller countries, it needs proven quality at superpower level.

• Upvote 1

One good season in 2008/09, and he owed us that after years of underperforming.

America is never going to regain its former greatness if it keeps signing leaders from smaller countries, it needs proven quality at superpower level.

You might have signed Putin on Politics Manager 2016, but this is real life. 

Michael Higgins would be a shrewd appointment, in my opinion. 

Well especially since the worst things out of nearly 20,000 leaked emails seem to be one or two where someone "made fun" of the Sanders campaign and one where a reporter let someone see their article before it was published.

The height of corruption!

Am going to pass on trying to point out examples from the leaks, because you should be able to find enough yourself if you're bothered. The Democratic Party are taking this kind of seriously though, incase you're still in doubt :

(CNN) - The head of the Democratic National Committee will not speak at the party's convention next week, a decision reached by party officials Saturday after emails surfaced that raised questions about the committee's impartiality during the Democratic primary.

Debbie Wasserman Schultz, whose stewardship of the DNC has been under fire through most of the presidential primary process, will not have a major speaking role in an effort "to keep the peace" in the party, a Democrat familiar with the decision said. The revelation comes following the release of nearly 20,000 emails

One email appears to show DNC staffers asking how they can reference Bernie Sanders' faith to weaken him in the eyes of Southern voters. Another seems to depict an attorney advising the committee on how to defend Hillary Clinton against an accusation by the Sanders campaign of not living up to a joint fundraising agreement.

Wasserman Schultz is expected to gavel the convention in and out, but not speak in the wake of the controversy surrounding the leaked emails, a top Democrat said.

"She's been quarantined," another top Democrat said, following a meeting Saturday night.

More here (and this has several examples anyway if you look at the full thing) : http://edition.cnn.com/2016/07/22/politics/dnc-wikileaks-emails/

Pretty minor stuff though isn't?

Out of 20,000 emails the worst is that a couple of people sent one or two stupid emails and then nothing happened with what they were suggesting.

I wouldn't be arsed checking through all that if that is the first juicy bit. I will acknowledge that some hard core Berners will though and probably be able to find something to offend them.

Pretty minor stuff though isn't?

Out of 20,000 emails the worst is that a couple of people sent one or two stupid emails and then nothing happened with what they were suggesting.

I wouldn't be arsed checking through all that if that is the first juicy bit. I will acknowledge that some hard core Berners will though and probably be able to find something to offend them.

Wow. I guess you really want Hillary to win and for this to simply be forgotten about so that things can go back to normal.

No, it's not minor stuff. It shows that the DNC favoured the Clinton campaign against Sanders time and time again, and that the media has been manipulated as well. You're too biased and won't budge from the idea that there's somehow nothing wrong with this. It's hugely wrong on several levels because the DNC are supposed to be neutral. If you want to carry on thinking it's minor though, that's up to you.

Sanders, his team, and his supporters are seriously pissed off because it's more evidence that they could've defeated Clinton if the whole thing wasn't so in favour of her. The head of the DNC is avoiding speaking for the most part at the convention because her presence will cause uproar. There's also a class action lawsuit that's been filed against the DNC.

Twitter and facebook have since been deleting hashtags and preventing people from sharing links ahead of the convention, google temporarily listed wikileaks as a dangerous site. I guess they don't see it as minor either and are rather concerned for Shillary.

The media, Clinton, and the DNC are massive frauds and there's going to be a huge exodus from the Democratic Party. This whole thing is in no way a minor problem, no matter how much you or others want it to be.

No, I probably have more in common with Sanders policy wise than Clinton.

I just think this is pretty minor in the great scheme of things.

I think reports of Twitter and Facebook deleting hashtags is probably minor or bollocks and so is Wikileaks being listed as a dangerous site. All little things jumped on by a few angry people most with very little knowledge of American history or politics.

No, I probably have more in common with Sanders policy wise than Clinton.

I just think this is pretty minor in the great scheme of things.

I think reports of Twitter and Facebook deleting hashtags is probably minor or bollocks and so is Wikileaks being listed as a dangerous site. All little things jumped on by a few angry people most with very little knowledge of American history or politics.

Ok, that's up to you if you want to see it like that.

Not sure about facebook (I don't use it) or google, but twitter have been known for manipulating trends for years on end. So I think it's pretty safe to say that it was deleted from trends and that's why the main tag on twitter is now #DNCLeak instead of the original #DNCLeaks.