You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yevhen Konoplyanka

WhiskeyJar

But why would we pay before they sign its ludicrous.

The fee was agreed. The structure wasn't. I imagine they were probably looking for about £10m up front with the remaining £5m spread out over the next season or 2.

Where as we wanted to pay in air miles and nectar points, with the entire fee being spread out over the next 31 years.

No great surprise the owner saw his arse and told us to fuck off really.

• Upvote 1

We are systematically pissing off clubs so nobody will deal with us

Yep. If there was any chance of us resurrecting this deal in the summer, I imagine they would rather sell to another club for a slightly lower price than have to entertain our travelling band of clowns and pick pockets again. 

Owner: "You wanna buy my player I don't want to sell him"

Ayre "ill activate his clause you will have no choice"

Owner "go on you still wont get him"

Ayre "but you have too"

Owner "im the richest man in this country i don't have to do anything"

Ayre "Done Haha"

Owner "Send me the money then ill sign"

Ayre "You think im fucking stupid?"

I imagine it went down like that knowing Ayres cocky history in transfers.

The fee was agreed. The structure wasn't. I imagine they were probably looking for about £10m up front with the remaining £5m spread out over the next season or 2.

Where as we wanted to pay in air miles and nectar points, with the entire fee being spread out over the next 31 years.

No great surprise the owner saw his arse and told us to fuck off really.

But the clause wouldnt activate if it was in instalments.

Owner: "You wanna buy my player I don't want to sell him"

Ayre "ill activate his clause you will have no choice"

Owner "go on you still wont get him"

Ayre "but you have too"

Owner "im the richest man in this country i don't have to do anything"

Ayre "Done Haha"

Owner "Send me the money then ill sign"

Ayre "You think im fucking stupid?"

I imagine it went down like that knowing Ayres cocky history in transfers.

Would you hand over the keys to a car you were selling before you received the cash? Neither would I.

• Upvote 1

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Would you hand over the keys to a car you were selling before you received the cash? Neither would I.

That entirely depends upon the legally binding contract we'd both agreed to previously. I certainly wouldn't give somebody 1.2m for a house before they agreed to sell. Would you?

I think the agent probably had it close to the mark: everything agreed, we fucked around but finally caved like a bunch of retards, and then when push came to shove he wouldn't sign the deal.

Read up on the Spanish contracts has to be an offer of a full payment.

Erm... Ukraine isn't in Spain. What has Spanish contracts got to do with it?

Remember the furore over the Neymar transfer? Rossell lost his job over it. Spanish clubs are dodgy as fuck.

Do you ever remember the structure of the Aquilani deal? It was posted on here from Roma's official site. We only paid about £4m up front with the rest in instalments. The total fee was nearer to £20m but Roma never got anywhere near to that before he was harpooned back to Italy. 

• Upvote 2

... or it goes some way to adding weight to Barry Wom's "conspiracy" theory that our lot just want to be seen to be trying to do deals, when in actual fact they are not. 

I'm leaning towards Bazza's thinking, but then again, I'll admit I'm a long-time FSG sceptic.

I think going all that way when the guy had a clause was definitely for our benefit, rather than it being of any use.

As for the motives of the powers that be, who the fuck knows? I've not been a fan from day one, but we definitely are experts at being seen trying to do deals, that's for sure.

Ayres is a Liverpool fan, and aligning with G&H should mean he's nowhere near the club to begin with, and now he's either being incompetent or devious.

How long will this have to go on. I think next will be a fireside chat with Tom Werner reassuring us of their commitment to getting back to the top of the league.

But we never activated a clause for Aquilani did we?

What? Do you understand how transfers work?

We agreed to pay Roma £20m for Aquilani. Doesn't mean we paid £20m on the day of the deal.

We agreed to pay Dnipro £15m for Konoplyanka, but they probably wanted it all up front - where as we didn't have the money.

The club statement makes for depressing reading.

A CEO’s job is to get the job done. It was there to be done. Ayre failed. It reflects his inexperience. The Liverpool CEO’s job should not be one of “on the job training”.

Prior to going out there he needed to understand the terms and decide whether or not to meet them. It is easy to forget that we almost lost the Suarez deal by opening up with a bid of half what we subsequently paid. I suspect that the Carroll and Downing deals stil haunt the boardroom with a sense that it is better to lose out and not make a mistake, than to make a mistake by losing out.

• Upvote 3

What? Do you understand how transfers work?

We offered Roma £20m for Aquilani. Doesn't mean we paid £20m on the day of the deal.

We agreed to pay Dnipro £15m for Konoplyanka, but they probably wanted it all up front - where as we didn't have the money.

I know that and that is not what im saying we made a agreement for Aquilani it was us activating a clause we agreed with there club to do this, A release clause requires a full payment, Not spread over time we were always offering the value of the clause but we didnt activate it as we were hagling on how long it would take to pay, Then we activated it by offering the full amount straight away. That's my point.

So LFC says one thing - liars. Dnipro says another - 100% telling the truth?

Yeah, not buying it. The truth is somewhere in the middle. I don't like how this whole forum has become one giant melting pot of knee jerk craziness and assumes that everything goes wrong is a giant fuck up on our side. 

It's disappointing we got no signings, it's annoying that we lost another player to Chelsea again - but if we are trying to crack the CL again this will happen. We are going for CL calibre players and so are the other guys around us. They just so happen to be in a position where they can just give the club in question exactly what they want without a second thought. 

We aren't. We have to be prudent and not let selling clubs take the piss.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I know that and that is not what im saying we made a agreement for Aquilani it was us activating a clause we agreed with there club to do this, A release clause requires a full payment, Not spread over time we were always offering the value of the clause but we didnt activate it as we were hagling on how long it would take to pay, Then we activated it by offering the full amount straight away. That's my point.

It doesn't need to be a full cash upfront offer to activate a release clause. At least not from my memory. You need to agree a deal which suits all parties with the full amount culminating in the offer which triggers the amount listed in the players contract.

Dnipro, being owned by someone with oodles of cash, clearly had no interest in any sort of deal which was structured, therefore they pulled the plug. Simple as that. If they were a middle of the road club who needed the money - we might have tempted them with a £5m now, £5m next season, £5m final payment in 2016. But they are not, and we probably insulted them by trying it on.

A worryingly sensible post there from Monkeywool. You obviously didn't read the terms of service before you signed up for the site (i.e. respond to every minor setback with torrents of whining, and act is if your half-formed speculations are meaningful insights into the mindset of the owners and the way the club is run.)

So LFC says one thing - liars. Dnipro says another - 100% telling the truth?

Yeah, not buying it. The truth is somewhere in the middle. I don't like how this whole forum has become one giant melting pot of knee jerk craziness and assumes that everything goes wrong is a giant fuck up on our side. 

It's disappointing we got no signings, it's annoying that we lost another player to Chelsea again - but if we are trying to crack the CL again this will happen. We are going for CL calibre players and so are the other guys around us. They just so happen to be in a position where they can just give the club in question exactly what they want without a second thought. 

We aren't. We have to be prudent and not let selling clubs take the piss.

How can it be knee-jerk craziness when its been one fuck up to another for as long as we can remember? It may well have been a bullet dodged situation when we pissed Fulham off with the Dempsey deal in the summer of 2011 but its been fuck up after fuck up ever since.

Are we suggesting that Fulham, Anzhi, Shakhtar, Basel and everyone else we've fucked negotiations with over the years are the problem, and we have done everything right?

Am i seriously reading that? This isn't an isolated case. Its simply added to the list of massive catastrophes by Ayre and whoever else. 

• Upvote 4