You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Yevhen Konoplyanka

WhiskeyJar

Rodgers racing to sign £20m Ukraine winger Konoplyanka as Liverpool boss looks to boost squad for Euro push

Liverpool have targeted an ambitious move for Yevhen Konoplyanka as Brendan Rodgers looks to make the star signing that will enhance his side's hopes of Champions League qualification. 

After missing out on Mohamed Salah to Chelsea, Liverpool have turned their attentions to the Ukraine international, who has been building an impressive reputation at Dnipro. 

Konoplyanka - who played in both Ukraine's World Cup qualifiers against England, scoring in the 1-1 draw at Wembley in September 2012 - is highly-regarded and if Liverpool were to capture the 24-year-old's signature in the next 48 hours, they could end up paying as much as £20million for a player who can operate effectively on the flanks or through the middle.

Rodgers may have been slightly frustrated to miss out on Salah but he has promised to keep working until the last minute to boost his squad before the window closes on Friday and after Tuesday's 4-0 demolition of Everton, Liverpool's manager claimed he was 'very hopeful' of getting a major deal across the line. 

'Hopefully we'll do something over the next few days,' Rodgers said. 'The only thing I would mention is the headlines after the press conference yesterday with the manager being angry with the club. It's far from the truth.
'I've said from day one the owners have been brilliant we're just not always going to get the players in that we want. The people here are important and we're in it together. Hopefully we can do something before the window.'

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You feel like Yevhen to touch

I wanna buy you so much...

Der, der. Der, der. Dut, duh, der, der... I want your babies.

Instant Kop classic.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

We need a DM, surely this fella can wait till the summer?

I thought the same thing, but if it's now or never then I'd sooner do it now.

As much as we more urgently need an addition in central midfield, a new signing could lift the club and the players especially, who are slogging it with a very small squad, especially in terms of those up to the job. 

People say Mata won't cover all United's many sins, but it still gives them a better chance of scoring goals and winning matches.  If it meant that we had one of Coutinho, Konoplyanka, Sterling, Sturridge etc on the bench instead of say Aspas, it gives Rodgers a much greater chance of affecting a game if his first 11 hasn't worked out for whatever reason.

I thought the same thing, but if it's now or never then I'd sooner do it now.

It's closer to Kazan from Dnipropetrovsk than from Liverpool, just saying;)

I love Konoplyanka, I didn't want a winger but I want this lad, he's class, loved when he tore Kyle walker and G. Johnson a new one v England, thing of beauty. Can also play both wings, CAM and 2nd striker, sublime at crossing, hell of a left foot, impressive work rate.  Konoplyanka > Willian > Yarmolenko > Salah.

• Upvote 1

No doubt you'll be doing a jig of delight when we end up signing nobody.

The last time I did a jig of any description I had a hangover for two days.

If we sign anyone that strengthens the team I'll be delighted. Why the snide comment ? Is transfer speculation fatigue not allowed,

I don't think he's better than Yarmolenko, he's around the same level. Although he'd be better for us, because he's exactly the sort of player that'd thrive in our system. He'll only get better as well, I'm really excited by the prospect of this, more so than Salah.