You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 minutes ago, Gruntfuttock said:

Planted a couple of bags of bulbs,cleaned out debris from the pond and had good prune back of a few branches. Daffodils,Bluebells and Sweetpeas are all starting to sprout upwards!

Tell me about your pond. For wildlife or fish?

7 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Can anyone recommend anyone in Liverpool who installs composite decking?

* when I first joined this site at ages 26, I'd never believe I'd one day be posting that.

You need to be careful with the void underneath. The risk is you are creating a nice cosy home for rats who are attracted by the smell of food from your al fresco dining. I’m talking from rueful experience. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Gruntfuttock said:

Just for wildlife,there was a frog sat in among the weeds last night.

I created a ‘pond’ out of a black plastic trough and some grit and cobbles last year. The birds in the garden love it. I’m preparing to upgrade to a moulded pond and some planting this year. All advice appreciated 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Champ said:

I created a ‘pond’ out of a black plastic trough and some grit and cobbles last year. The birds in the garden love it. I’m preparing to upgrade to a moulded pond and some planting this year. All advice appreciated 

Amphibians and fish don’t work in the same pond. The latter eat the spawn of the former. 

• 3 weeks later...

Starting out the peppers for this year. First time using the Kratzky method.

Has anyone else tried this - like a poor mans hydroponic.

They are the double cups - all the seeds came up, which is a good start. I keep my own seeds but also bought a couple specific varieties - on the left you can tell which they are as not a single one took. Not one out of 12 - with three in each cup. So 36 seeds store bought, nothing.

I had multiples from my seeds and was able to split them. What a racket.

20230217_112541.jpg

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Captain Willard said:

Brilliant. I think as I get older I’ve come to value ponds a lot more. You’re probably too late for frogs this year but keep the faith 

As you can see it’s not the moulded plastic pond of my initial thoughts. It’s an old farming trough that was previously planted up with thymes. I’d been looking at images of old belfast sinks used as ponds and realised I could put the trough to similar use.

It’s stepped at each end with stones and pebbles. I’ve planted 2 oxygenators and a flag iris and I’m just watching what happens.

At the very least it’s a very well used bird bath

• Upvote 2

Our garden has been a bit neglected over the last year but I have two days off, on my own, child-free later this week to make a start on it. I'm planning to empty and clean the greenhouse and repurpose an old workbench to make a standing. Hopefully I'll get some seeds sown in there this week too - albeit a little later than I'd like. 

• Upvote 2