You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Good haul that. Lots of my garden has gone in late, due to the match and the season not ending till June. Good return on spuds, onions, and Chilli's but carrots, leeks, parsnips, cauliflowers, broccoli, fennel, all have gone in late, so not holding out much hope, unless we have a good September. 

IMG_6837.JPG

IMG_6839.JPG

IMG_6844.JPG

IMG_6843.JPG

• Upvote 7

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm the archetypical Black Thumb. If I take a cutting from a plant, the plant dies. Over the last 2 years I've had my own (not inconsiderable) body weight in culinary herbs - basil, oregano, rosemary, chillies, parsley - die within a couple of weeks, large healthy plants from local nurseries. This is in central Vietnam where a matchstick dropped on the ground is a tree a month later.

I have a certificate in Horticulture from one of Sydney's top Horticultural colleges and a BSc (Hons) in Biology, I dropped out of my PhD in Botany for financial and work reasons in my first year.

On 15/11/2022 at 13:30, Evelyn Tentions said:

I'm the archetypical Black Thumb. If I take a cutting from a plant, the plant dies. Over the last 2 years I've had my own (not inconsiderable) body weight in culinary herbs - basil, oregano, rosemary, chillies, parsley - die within a couple of weeks, large healthy plants from local nurseries. This is in central Vietnam where a matchstick dropped on the ground is a tree a month later.

I have a certificate in Horticulture from one of Sydney's top Horticultural colleges and a BSc (Hons) in Biology, I dropped out of my PhD in Botany for financial and work reasons in my first year.

Do you have any explanation?

I have a similar one…I have no real difficulty get stuff to grow outside but I joined the bandwagon and bought some houseplants. I can’t really say that any of them look that healthy. What am I doing wrong?

18 minutes ago, Champ said:

Do you have any explanation?

I have a similar one…I have no real difficulty get stuff to grow outside but I joined the bandwagon and bought some houseplants. I can’t really say that any of them look that healthy. What am I doing wrong?

Houseplants don't like too much water or draughts. Are you putting them by a cold window ?

13 minutes ago, Captain Willard said:

Houseplants don't like too much water or draughts. Are you putting them by a cold window ?

I suspect it’s more likely to have been a but of over watering when we went away…it’s just that you’re stuck looking at the damage for a long time, if you haven’t actually killed the poor things

• 2 months later...
7 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Can anyone recommend anyone in Liverpool who installs composite decking?

* when I first joined this site at ages 26, I'd never believe I'd one day be posting that.

Balls to decking, wont last more than 10 years. My personal prefernce is a nice grey slate chip area for entertaining. i dont have to oil it every year or worry about my foot going through it or being set alight by a guest smoking a ciggie.

24 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Balls to decking, wont last more than 10 years. My personal prefernce is a nice grey slate chip area for entertaining. i dont have to oil it every year or worry about my foot going through it or being set alight by a guest smoking a ciggie.

Composite decking lasts years

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

The composite stuff has a 20 year guarantee some of it, slate/paving is a tough one for us as we've got no back gate (Matron!) and everything has to come through the house, including cement mixers and nefarious trade twats. 

• Upvote 1