You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

You built the shed last year didn't you?

Get a solar panel, a few oscillating fans and a couple rain barrels on premises. Then a bicycle to retrieve ice and lager.

Downsizing - smart.

It’s a little space that’s just mine. I share a house with 4 and sometimes 7 other people so it’s nice to have a tiny plot to hide away on. 

• Upvote 1

The good news is the moles have fucked off for the summer, god knows where they go, but have been replaced by about 3000 rabbits. We can sit in the house and watch them sunbathing whilst the cats wander past them, they're only interested in the baby ones the lazy twats.

In a few years I will have shifted every bit of top soil in the garden from the mole hills to fill in the rabbit holes. 

19 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

My allotment is coming along nicely in this weather. However it’s becoming less popular as a hobby and the number of empty plots is increasing. I haven’t had a neighbour for years now. 

IMG_1712.jpeg

This made me curious so I emailed the local allotment site near me yesterday evening- they replied straight back (which was surprising given it was about 10pm) informing me there was an 18month waiting list.

I have no intention of having one- the lady even invited me down this Saturday to fill out a form to go on "the list"

I might go    

My eldest starts at Keele University in September.

Apparently the students can apply for an allotment on campus, so they can grow their own food.

I’ve encouraged him vociferously to do this. Anything that saves me money is fine by me. 

No doubt this will come back to bite me when he uses it to grow cannabis, gets arrested, and I have to pay his legal bills. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Dave D said:

This made me curious so I emailed the local allotment site near me yesterday evening- they replied straight back (which was surprising given it was about 10pm) informing me there was an 18month waiting list.

I have no intention of having one- the lady even invited me down this Saturday to fill out a form to go on "the list"

I might go    

It's worth being on the list. The plots turnover quite quickly as people give up. The thing is nature is remorselessly unrelenting so if you don't regularly maintain your plot it gets covered in weeds very quickly. A common occurrence is a new person takes over a very overgrown plot, works like crazy for 2 weekends to clear the weeds and assorted shit that has been dumped there, plants a few things then neglects it for weeks because they are now exhausted and sick of gardening. The weeds just bide their time and come straight back, the new person revisits their plot after say 2 months of absence, sees all their hard work has been undone, loses heart and gives up. I see this pattern every year. You need to go every few days if only for 5 minutes to keep the fucking weeds under control. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

It's worth being on the list. The plots turnover quite quickly as people give up. The thing is nature is remorselessly unrelenting so if you don't regularly maintain your plot it gets covered in weeds very quickly. A common occurrence is a new person takes over a very overgrown plot, works like crazy for 2 weekends to clear the weeds and assorted shit that has been dumped there, plants a few things then neglects it for weeks because they are now exhausted and sick of gardening. The weeds just bide their time and come straight back, the new person revisits their plot after say 2 months of absence, sees all their hard work has been undone, loses heart and gives up. I see this pattern every year. You need to go every few days if only for 5 minutes to keep the fucking weeds under control. 

Who provides the water- I assume the allotment people? Must have to go every day in this heat 

11 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

Apparently the students can apply for an allotment on campus, so they can grow their own food.

I’ve encouraged him vociferously to do this. Anything that saves me money is fine by me. 

No doubt this will come back to bite me when he uses it to grow cannabis, gets arrested, and I have to pay his legal bills. 

Tell him to grow flowers, goes down very well with the opposite sex. 

7 hours ago, Dave D said:

Who provides the water- I assume the allotment people? Must have to go every day in this heat 

7 hours ago, Captain Willard said:

There are taps about every 6 plots. Appropriate allotment tap etiquette is a thread all of its own. 

Sir Mixalot offers some excellent advice on allotment water conservation.

21 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

It's a lovely campus Keele, I've designed a couple of buildings there. It needs a bit of investment in some of the 60s buildings but the grounds and landscape are a nice place to be. They have plans to improve a fair bit of the campus too, your son might see some of the benefits of that whilst he's there.

13 minutes ago, Karl_b said:

It's a lovely campus Keele, I've designed a couple of buildings there. It needs a bit of investment in some of the 60s buildings but the grounds and landscape are a nice place to be. They have plans to improve a fair bit of the campus too, your son might see some of the benefits of that whilst he's there.

I went with him last Friday for a look around.

The grounds and landscape were very nice. You’re right about some of the older  buildings but none of it was too bad. 

All the newer ones seem the business, so thanks and good job. 

I just hope he settles. He’s a bit introverted, like his dad (although less than me) and a bit ‘away with the fairies’ (otherwise known as very creative) like his mum. He got sacked from his temporary job as a dinner lady yesterday for not being a team player. Spends too much time staring into space, rather than dishing out vegetables. 

He could do amazing things could my eldest, but there might be bumps along the road. 

Keele does seem like a nice, inclusive, environment though. Better than the shit hole I went to a thousand years ago. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

The grounds and landscape were very nice. You’re right about some of the older  buildings but none of it was too bad. 

I just hope he settles. He’s a bit introverted, like his dad (although less than me) and a bit ‘away with the fairies’ (otherwise known as very creative) like his mum. He got sacked from his temporary job as a dinner lady yesterday for not being a team player. Spends too much time staring into space, rather than dishing out vegetables. 

He could do amazing things could my eldest, but there might be bumps along the road. 

Keele does seem like a nice, inclusive, environment though. Better than the shit hole I went to a thousand years ago. 

On the positive side, being sacked as a dinner lady is  a good thread title, “ what’s the worst job you’ve ever been sacked from ? “ 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

Wishing him all the very best, mister.

I’m not sure I got it right with mine but they seem to get there in the end

• Upvote 1

On 27/06/2023 at 20:38, Captain Willard said:

It’s a little space that’s just mine. I share a house with 4 and sometimes 7 other people so it’s nice to have a tiny plot to hide away on. 

I also have a little summer house/shed to hide away in , the wife gate crashed it yesterday with her wine drinking friends much to my horror. 

Ending up fucking off in my little DIY camper for the night. 

She says she wants a divorce. 

Fuck 'er

1 hour ago, elvis said:

I also have a little summer house/shed to hide away in , the wife gate crashed it yesterday with her wine drinking friends much to my horror. 

Ending up fucking off in my little DIY camper for the night. 

She says she wants a divorce. 

Fuck 'er

Sounds grim. “My wife’s drunk friends” is a thread all its own. 

• 2 weeks later...