You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I've managed to rescue the Apple tree I think, it's budding again but have had to cut some dead branches off. But I'm not sure what to do about this cracked and flakey patch on the main trunk.

20230601_182301.jpg

I wouldn’t do anything with it 

• Upvote 1

Sat outside for about 2 hours today watching my blue blossom ceanothus attract what must be every bee in the area.  Bees of all varieties, some types I've never seen before.  I just sat there watching them, occasionally turning round to see my pink hebe which is bumblebees only for some reason.  Due to laziness and the bad weather I forgot to cut them back this winter, I'm glad I didn't, they're both massive and spectacular splashes of bee-attracting colour in my garden.  My lawn has been taken over by buttercups, again a bee magnet so I only mow the bit where we need to walk on.  

I am ready to dedicate my life to making my garden a bee-friendly paradise.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Paulie Dangerously said:

Sat outside for about 2 hours today watching my blue blossom ceanothus attract what must be every bee in the area.  Bees of all varieties, some types I've never seen before.  I just sat there watching them, occasionally turning round to see my pink hebe which is bumblebees only for some reason.  Due to laziness and the bad weather I forgot to cut them back this winter, I'm glad I didn't, they're both massive and spectacular splashes of bee-attracting colour in my garden.  My lawn has been taken over by buttercups, again a bee magnet so I only mow the bit where we need to walk on.  

I am ready to dedicate my life to making my garden a bee-friendly paradise.  

I believe a winged insect wrote 'fuck you Paulie' on your lawn!

It was a spelling bee!

I saw a report on the local London news that there are now so many bee hives in central and north London and so few flowers that the bees are starving. Every new office block and flat is putting a bee hive on the roof to placate the local planners.  The road to hell is paved with good intentions. 

1 hour ago, Champ said:

Damsel fly?

1 hour ago, Champ said:

Damsel fly?

I think it’s a male blue chaser dragonfly. Apparently they are very territorial and chase away other dragonfly species. That said my allotment ponds are full of dragonflies having sex so our chap is either a lazy Fucker or some sort of insect voyeur, maybe both. He’s probably a pro beaner as well. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

An allotment is a prime spot for burying bodies. Maybe the stench of rotten bodies has seeped through?

Ha ha. I’m genuinely surprised they’re not more popular, they’re super cheap at about £1 a week and you can do what you like with your own little patch of land. I often go there directly after work to sit and watch the sunset before I go home.