You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Jones was originally bought as third choice and to replace Cavalieri. He qualifies as homegrown and is a reasonable keeper, nowhere near as bad as some suggest.

If the Oldham game was anything to go by then that whole team bar one or two should go, it was an awful performance, shameful.

On true form he is nowhere near as good as Reina, the problem was Reina has only played well half a season in the last three. Coincidentally his return to form came after a spell out.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, you're still thinking of them when they were first choice. Cuidicini has gifted goals Jones would get slaughtered for if he did the same. Given has really gone off the boil as he's got older. Some would suggest he wasnt that good in his prime.

Friedel used to be here and was shite with a captial 'S.'

Not the point I was making. He said he couldn't think of any decent back up goal keepers in the league. The keepers I mentioned were a few off the top of my head who were second choice keepers in recent times, who would definitely be classed as 'decent'.

I find it baffling why for so many years we have had utter shite as our second choice keeper when I look at small clubs with better options then us.

We should have an experienced pro as backup not players who ain't good enough for championship, we have been extremely lucky that reina has never had a long injury because our back up for him is appalling.

Lets be honest brad jones is a very bad keeper, he shits himself when the ball goes near him and its a worry anytime the ball goes on to the box when he's in goal, he was second choice at boro in the championship.

He seems like a nice guy and good to have around squad but he should be nowhere near the first team.

I think the way to go with back up goalies is to get an accomplished keeper who is near the end of their career, such as when we had Paul Jones a few years ago. They won't let you down, if called on, but at the same time the bulk of their career is behind them, so their development won't stagnate while sitting on the bench.

Then if you have a top prospect who is not quite your number one yet, but he does need to play, then you should loan him out to see plenty of action, and if he proves himself e.g. Courtois for Chelsea, then at some point you will bring them back to be your number one.

This model is the future. Get on board folks. A clear number one. An older back up who has seen it all before, and a very talented younger keeper who is out on a meaningful loan to gain more experience. That's what I'd like to see at LFC.

Lets be honest brad jones is a very bad keeper, he shits himself when the ball goes near him and its a worry anytime the ball goes on to the box when he's in goal, he was second choice at boro in the championship.

He seems like a nice guy and good to have around squad but he should be nowhere near the first team.

This

I dont think he was, zig.

Lots of people seem to think you can have another world class keeper waiting to step in when the first choice is injured or whatever. Never going to happen because the other keeper wants to play.

I dont agree with the hysteria some people have towards Jones. Undoubtedly, Reina is the better keeper but, I dont think Jones has made as many gaffe's as reina did during his shaky spell.

That's not a criticism of Reina per se nor, an effort to build Jones up. He's a capable back up keeper.

That said, if Reina were to leave, I'd expect the club to replace him with someone of similar quality.

Eh?

Brad Jones (footballer) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Derby County (loan) [edit]

At the end of March, Jones joined Derby County on loan for the remainder of the 2010–11 season.[7] Jones made his début in a 4–1 loss to Cardiff City and went on to concede 16 goals in his seven games at Derby, including another four against Burnley (2–4) and three against Norwich City (2–3). He came in for criticism from Derby manager Nigel Clough after his mistake let Bristol City take an early lead in Derby's final home game of the season, in a match the club eventually lost 2–0. It turned out to be Jones' last Derby game.[8] He was an unused substitute in Derby's 2–1 defeat at Reading on the last day of the Championship season before returning to Liverpool, after being replaced by academy goalkeeper Ross Atkins

Last season gone, Reina played 31 times and kept 14 clean sheets Brad played 7 and kept 2 and its clear Brad was in the best form of his life and Pepe almost at his worst is still comfortably better.

Guest San Don
Pepe is class. Comparing him with Jones? Its like comparing The Beatles with One Direction.

Who is seriously doing that, though?