You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hodgson: Johnson has not performed

Original202

Stoke v Liverpool: Glen Johnson's future in doubt as Roy Hodgson challenges him to reproduce his England form

Glen Johnson’s Liverpool future has been cast into doubt after the club’s manager, Roy Hodgson, criticised the £18 million defender for failing to produce the sort of form befitting an England right-back.

Johnson has played just once for Liverpool since the beginning of October — last week’s Europa League victory over Napoli —because of a groin injury. Hodgson confirmed on Friday that the 26 year-old had suffered a relapse and will miss Saturday evening’s trip to Stoke City.

Even had Johnson been fit, though, Hodgson’s withering assessment of the former Chelsea and Portsmouth player’s form suggests he faces a struggle not simply to regain his place but to prolong his 15-month stay on Merseyside.

“He is the England right-back and if he plays like that, one would expect him to come back in,” Hodgson said.

“But then he would have had to play like the England right-back and up to now, to be quite frank, he has not performed — or very often at least — to the level I would expect of him.

“You would have to ask him the question: ‘Do you think you are playing at top form and are you playing like the best right-back in the country for your club?’ If he says yes, obviously we will have to agree to differ. And if he says no, then you have to ask the question why not.”

The prospect of Johnson losing his place permanently is likely to alert Tottenham and Juventus, both of whom have been monitoring the player’s situation at Anfield, with a move as early as January a possibility.

The full-back would be eligible to feature for Harry Redknapp’s team in the Champions League, while the Serie A side have identified Johnson and Ajax’s Gregory van der Wiel as their preferred targets when the transfer window reopens.

Johnson’s travails could also lead to an extended run in the side for his understudy Martin Kelly, whose form has earned him a call-up to the England Under-21 side to face Germany in Wiesbaden next week and will mean he is offered an improved contract when his existing deal expires this summer.

Though Hodgson may employ Jamie Carragher as right-back at the Britannia Stadium, the Liverpool manager has been effusive in his praise of Kelly, 20. He said Kelly had surprised him when making his first Premier League start, in last Sunday’s 2-0 victory against Chelsea.

“It was a really tough match to throw him in because they are at their best down the left and many a right-back would not have relished facing them.”

Goalkeeper Pepe Reina, meanwhile, has stressed that he is “fully committed” to Liverpool after reports he wanted to leave Anfield at the earliest opportunity.

Though the club have drawn up a shortlist of possible replacements — including the German international Manuel Neuer — Liverpool’s owners are desperate for the Spain international to stay.

“I have not told the manager I wish to leave in January or at any other time,” said Reina. “I have a long-term contract at Liverpool and I am fully committed to the club.”

Rory Smith

Pretty strong stuff that, but ultimately it's accurate. I don't think we'd recover much over half of what we paid for him but I think we'd be best of cutting our losses on this one.

Kelly isn't a long term right back and I'd hope he gets more opportunities in the middle, but Johnson is a poor defender - always has been, always will be.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't like seeing managers criticising their players in public. Behind closed doors, then I think it is fine - but I don't see how this helps Johnson's confidence. If anything it just puts more media pressure on him.

What he says is right though, I just think he should do it one on one with Johnson and not via the public.

Not good management, for me.

I don't like seeing managers criticising their players in public. Behind closed doors, then I think it is fine - but I don't see how this helps Johnson's confidence. If anything it just puts more media pressure on him.

What he says is right though, I just think he should do it one on one with Johnson and not via the public.

Not good management, for me.

I broadly agree. But maybe he's already tried that and feels he needs a public kick up the arse?

I broadly agree. But maybe he's already tried that and feels he needs a public kick up the arse?

Maybe.

But surely Kelly's performances just give him a kick up the arse and Hodgson should tell him that.

Also Soto and Skrtel's performance at centre back together, with Carragher at right back has looked good.

He needs to be told that he is not the only option and won't play unless on top form.

I just think that should have been said to him individually, not via the public to put more pressure on him and dent his confidence and adds to the scrutiny.

Hodgson wants to play him in a flat back 4, something anyone who has seen him play knows is not going to happen. This is Roberto Carlos @ Inter all over again and with probably the same conclusion. You get the sense we'd be hearing the same if Alves was here. Hodgson doesn't know how to use him properly. If we could play with 4 central defenders across the back and 4 central midfielder across the middle, he'd be happy.

Tomorrow's motivating quote:

"Pepe Reina could be described as a good goalkeeper. He's certainly above average. Granted he's not the best from his country because Casillas always gets the number one shirt for them, so he couldn't be, could he? I'm happy to have Pepe Reina here, certainly, I think, I hope. He cost us a goal against Arsenal, it must be remembered, I'm sure he hasn't forgotten. And he wouldn't like to let down the fans, I'm sure. He's a good goalkeeper, Pepe Reina, and goalkeepers play in a different position to the rest of the first XI."

I think Hodgson just continue to say all the wrong things. He should talk up his players in the media. Johnson has just played without confidence before he got injured. This isn't helping.

Everyone who saw Kelly against Lyon last season knows the player's potential. Hodgson clearly didn't.

Tomorrow's motivating quote:

"Pepe Reina could be described as a good goalkeeper. He's certainly above average. Granted he's not the best from his country because Casillas always gets the number one shirt for them, so he couldn't be, could he? I'm happy to have Pepe Reina here, certainly, I think, I hope. He cost us a goal against Arsenal, it must be remembered, I'm sure he hasn't forgotten. And he wouldn't like to let down the fans, I'm sure. He's a good goalkeeper, Pepe Reina, and goalkeepers play in a different position to the rest of the first XI."

In the name of God, tell me that's not true,

Do you honestly think this couldn't have been dealt with behind closed doors? I do, regardless who's in charge. If he didn't respond after that then he would have been on his way.

Yeah, defo - but this could just be a last resort from Hodgson.