You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Hodgson: Johnson has not performed

Original202

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Johnson is fucking shite, I said so when Rafa splurged all that money on him and the groupthink on here was that he would rock.

He's always been fairly good at attacking but fucking piss poor at defending and that hasn't changed since his Leeds days.

Having said that, Hodgson is being an idiot. Once more mouthing off in the media without a fucking clue. Will someone superglue his mouth shut please*.

**If yasmin alibhai-brown is reading - I didn't mean that to be taken seriously.

Roy isnt in a position to critizise anyone. He is trying to do in a year what G&H needed 3 years to do. He is an absolute disaster, and watching his slightly retarded face on the touchline absolutely clueless on how to change the team setup is painful. He has one tactical option, and that is to throw Kyrgiakos forward. Embarrassing.

I just feel sorry for him, like you would feel sorry for anyone thrown into the deep end in a position they are so far away from managing.

Guest davelfc

Glen Johnson slams Hodgson's 'boring' tactics and wants to leave Liverpool

By Joe Bernstein Last updated at 10:19 PM on 13th November 2010

England international Glen Johnson wants to leave Liverpool in January after a total breakdown in his relationship with manager Roy Hodgson.

The right-back is said to be outraged by the way Hodgson is alleged to have handled his injury problems this season and the public criticism he received from his manager on Friday.

Glen Johnson has fallen out with Roy Hodgson

Seeing red: Glen Johnson has fallen out with Roy Hodgson

The player's representatives will meet new director of football strategy, Damien Comolli, this week to make it clear the £18million England man has no faith left in Hodgson's 'boring' style of play.

Johnson's team will also claim the boss rushed the defender back from a groin injury, leading to further setbacks.

'Things have moved rapidly downhill for Glen since Roy arrived,' said a source. 'He finds the style of football boring and the way he was criticised by the manager in public was uncalled for. He was made to train too soon with a groin injury and it's kept him out for longer than it should have done.'

Johnson, signed by Liverpool's former boss, Rafa Benitez, is prepared to quit English football to end his association with Hodgson. Bayern Munich are monitoring the situation, but if Liverpool progress from the Europa League he would not be able to play for the German giants in this season's Champions League.

Johnson's representatives will meet new director of football strategy, Damien Comolli

Showdown talks: Johnson's representatives will meet new director of football strategy, Damien Comolli

Johnson missed four games in October with a groin injury but was picked by Hodgson for the Europa League win over Napoli on November 4.

However, the problem has recurred, causing him to miss Liverpool's past three games and ruling him out of England's friendly against France on Wednesday.

The 26-year-old, hailed as the missing piece in Liverpool's title jigsaw when he arrived from Portsmouth last year, is believed to be furious at the way Hodgson rounded on him in a press conference on Friday.

It is unusual for managers to criticise their players so directly but Hodgson pulled no punches as he said: 'To be frank, he has not performed up to now to the level I would expect of him. You would have to ask him the question, "Do you think you are playing at top form and are you playing like the best right-back in the country for your club?" If he says yes, we will have to agree to differ. And if he says No, then you have to ask the question, why not?'

The fall-out with Johnson marks the start of a critical period for Hodgson, with Comolli ready to take on a more front-line role in player recruitment after being appointed by Liverpool's new owner, John W Henry, of New England Sports Ventures. Comolli is to host meetings with agents this week and also plans to publicly outline his role at the club.

Glen Johnson slams Hodgson's 'boring' tactics and wants to leave Liverpool | Mail Online

hatchett job that

I still think Johnson is a very good player. He showed it for England not too long ago. Our style doesn't exactly play to his qualities.

People go on about Johnson not being a good defender but of all the recognised 'best' full backs in the world right now I don't think there's a decent defender amongst them. All of them are rightfully lauded for their attacking tributes. Given the way the game has gone & the clamour for fielding 3 central midfielders. Having attacking full backs has become a much sort after commodity. At least among the best teams out there.

Got to love the unity & team spirit Roy is building here, no wonder this team will run through brick walls for him, fight till the end because they refuse to let the manager down.

Oh that's right the team are playing like they don't give a fuck aren't they.

Wonder why that is Roy?

Roy is going to lose us a hell of a lot more than his 2.5 mill payoff.

He's knocking millions off the book value of our squad and his presence here means the likelihood of that book value being realised is really quite high - Torres, Reina, Johnson will be off if he remains. Roy has probably wiped off 20-30 million just off those three.

Roy is going to lose us a hell of a lot more than his 2.5 mill payoff.

He's knocking millions off the book value of our squad and his presence here means the likelihood of that book value being realised is really quite high - Torres, Reina, Johnson will be off if he remains. Roy has probably wiped off 20-30 million just off those three.

The new owners may not understand football, but they would understand that, they did not invest 300M out of love or charity. I assume they have been briefed.

I think most managers would be exasperated with Johnson. It's a shame he can hide in the current situation behind all the Hodge Hate. He's played pitifully poorly and he looks as though he doesn't give a damn (and that was the case for most of the second half of last season, too).

I think most managers would be exasperated with Johnson. It's a shame he can hide in the current situation behind all the Hodge Hate. He's played pitifully poorly and he looks as though he doesn't give a damn (and that was the case for most of the second half of last season, too).

I agree. I don't necessarily think he is being used that intelligently when he does play, but his attitude certainly seems to be leaving a lot to be desired.

I think that 18m price tag will always be a millstone round his neck as far as some opinions of him are concerned, but to actually put in a shift and look like he cares might be a decent starting point.

I think the Manager is an embarrassment, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be defending Johnson to pursue some agenda.

Guest PurpleNose
I agree. I don't necessarily think he is being used that intelligently when he does play, but his attitude certainly seems to be leaving a lot to be desired.

I think that 18m price tag will always be a millstone round his neck as far as some opinions of him are concerned, but to actually put in a shift and look like he cares might be a decent starting point.

I think the Manager is an embarrassment, but that doesn't mean I'm going to be defending Johnson to pursue some agenda.

Johnson has been absolute dog shit. That stands on its own.

But Hodgson's selective slagging off and tossing off of players in the press is grating.

Torres has been shit, Gerrard is amazing, Johnson has been shit, Poulsen is great, Shelvey did alright because they were tired etc etc

He just doesn't seem to have any idea of how to fucking speak.

He's not exactly helping with the inevitable divisions within a squad.

hatchett job that

I still think Johnson is a very good player. He showed it for England not too long ago. Our style doesn't exactly play to his qualities.

People go on about Johnson not being a good defender but of all the recognised 'best' full backs in the world right now I don't think there's a decent defender amongst them. All of them are rightfully lauded for their attacking tributes. Given the way the game has gone & the clamour for fielding 3 central midfielders. Having attacking full backs has become a much sort after commodity. At least among the best teams out there.

Sagna is top class defensively, but not going forward. As for Johnson, he's simply not suited to Roys style at all. But the way his manager has treated him is shocking, and if he would say similar things about Torres everyone would have a go at him.

Johnson has been absolute dog shit. That stands on its own.

But Hodgson's selective slagging off and tossing off of players in the press is grating.

Torres has been shit, Gerrard is amazing, Johnson has been shit, Poulsen is great, Shelvey did alright because they were tired etc etc

He just doesn't seem to have any idea of how to fucking speak.

He's not exactly helping with the inevitable divisions within a squad.

Aye, pretty much exactly how I see it.

Hopefully the start of the war that sees Hodgson finally ousted

Whilst Johnson hasnt played well he shouldnt have to put up with such public crticism by his manager.

He has every right to want to leave and let everyone know why he is leaving.

Hopefully more players will follow his lead and our owners act.

If the act before the next game we can still finish 4th

hatchett job that

Johnson is a player that would work very well in a team that dominates possession. I'm quite sure that that was the reason why Rafa brought him in. IMO the lack of attacking contribution from our full backs was the main weakness of our side 2 seasons ago. Now that we're playing "roof"-football he doesn't fit in. We will never dominate possession with Roys tactics, and that means that the pressure he will be under defensivly will make him crap.

The same is pretty much that fact for Meireles. He will not fullfill his potential in Liverpool unless we start actually using the ball.

What Roy needs is more Stoke-type players to start winning matches, but then he might as well be off to Stoke, Blackburn, Bolton or whatever....:wallbutt: