You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd prefer an aged Del Piero to Amauri.

Other than Chiellini there's no-one there I'd particularly want, especially considering our luck with Italians.

Apparently we were looking at Chiellini as an alternative to Dossena that summer, and the money being quoted was around £4m compared to the £7m we paid for the chubby one.

In fairness, we've made some horrendous transfer decisions with what money we've had in recent years.

Apparently we were looking at Chiellini as an alternative to Dossena that summer, and the money being quoted was around £4m compared to the £7m we paid for the chubby one.

In fairness, we've made some horrendous transfer decisions with what money we've had in recent years.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing

I find it hard to believe unless there was a timing issue with Chiellinis contract, no way he was priced at 4m

It can always go either way, a loan and buy agreement seems the right approach. But then, it takes time to adjust to the premiership. For example, I think Birmingham would be a much more dangerous proposition if they had kept Benitez (or Zarate).

Failed to scout or wrong judgment?

A bit of both I think.

I'd be interested in how often we had Dossena watched, for example, because it was pretty obvious from a game or two into his time with us that he was alarmingly slow.

Keane and Aquilani were both potentially good players in isolation, but clearly completely unsuited to our system. Baffling signings.