You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

We get linked to so much shit it is hard to believe any of it.

I am taking it that the new lot are going to set a blue print for how the club operates in the transfer market and eighty percent of the ones are linked with, do not even come close to fitting into it.

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm sorry if this is already on here, i couldnt see it anywhere.

We have been linked with Clint Dempsey recently, now he isnt the best player in the world granted, but is there something more to this story?

He is an extremely popular player over in the states and is a huge part of the US national side, He would, undoubtly sell a tonne of shirts over in the states and therefore raise us some cash.

Clint is also an extremely hard working player, with great work ethic. I was searching for youtube clips of him and found a mini documentary on him, i wasnt aware of any of what was said on it and im sorry in advance if this is already known by most.

His agent isnt saying too much apart from no deals currently in place but there is interest from what i can gather reading around.

Liverpool - Clint Dempsey's agent stops short of saying he won't leave Fulham | Give Me Football

I know we should never buy a player for his story but, i would argue that some of the best players in the world play with that something extra because of passion and drive, he seems to have plenty of that, and with good reason. When you add on top of that the shirt revenue and marketing in US, i think it could be worth a closer look.

Yeah man totally.

Lets get Elmander and stick him up front, and then have a Poulsen/Dempsey midfield. We would win the prem, no doubt about that. Fuck it, lets re-sign Danny Murphy while we are at it!

No need to be like that lad. If you disagree then thats fine. Heres how i see it

Im not saying hes the best player in the world, but is he better than Poulsen? Yes. Does he work harder than Babel (usually does) Yes.

Would he come cheapish? Yes. Could he make us a decent ammount of cash over in the US? Yes. Will that then help us to buy top players...? YES

Point is lad we are re-building, so if we can get someone who will end up making us money, plus work very hard for the team whilst hes at it then we shouldnt just dismiss it.

I agree with your point (that behind the smart arse answer i think you were trying to make) He isnt the best player out there, but if you look at the bigger picture it may be worth a look, thats all i said.

I can see that Dempsey would be a good signing from a commercial point of view, I just think that he's several tiers lower than what we should be aiming at. Would United, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, City buy him? Doubt it.

No they wouldnt and your right! But Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, spurs and city arent in the process of re-building, exept maybe utd. They also have much larger stadiums and are raising funds that way.

I just fear that the type of players we want and deserve arent yet affordable. We are in a much better place now than we were but that doesnt give us mad money.

We cant, without city money, rebuild over night. So i see it from a long term view, if we bought Demsey or some other america player, doesnt have to be him, one that we can pick up cheapish it gives us a good standing place commercially in the US. Just as Utd did in in asia.

And answer me this, who would you rather have on the bench? Dempsey (who will be making us money in sales) or Poulsen?

Gutted we still don't have Aquilani here.

Why, though? He played a few decent games last year at home against poor opposition, but he struggled to make any impact in important games. And that's not even mentioning the huge concerns about his longterm fitness. He always looked lethargic and had no defensive abilities whatsoever.

Wrong player at the wrong time. Why on earth we didn't go for somebody like Parker if we wanted a midfielder or else focus on bringing in an attacker I'll never know. I'm still convinced that his signing had a lot to do with the preferable installment rate Roma allowed us to pay for him gradually.

I think some players aren't suited to certain leagues, and his success again with Juve this season is a case in point. He's a good player, but he wasn't the right player for us.

Meireles offers everything he could and a lot more besides.

No they wouldnt and your right! But Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, spurs and city arent in the process of re-building, exept maybe utd. They also have much larger stadiums and are raising funds that way.

I just fear that the type of players we want and deserve arent yet affordable. We are in a much better place now than we were but that doesnt give us mad money.

We cant, without city money, rebuild over night. So i see it from a long term view, if we bought Demsey or some other america player, doesnt have to be him, one that we can pick up cheapish it gives us a good standing place commercially in the US. Just as Utd did in in asia.

And answer me this, who would you rather have on the bench? Dempsey (who will be making us money in sales) or Poulsen?

This is all pointless conjecture anyway. None of us know what sort of money NESV will put into transfers. They might make the manager sell to buy, or they might lash out £100m a window. We don't know.

Why, though? He played a few decent games last year at home against poor opposition, but he struggled to make any impact in important games. And that's not even mentioning the huge concerns about his longterm fitness. He always looked lethargic and had no defensive abilities whatsoever.

If we judged players on their first season alone, then Drogba, Malouda, Pires & Hleb would be shite.

Wrong player at the wrong time. Why on earth we didn't go for somebody like Parker if we wanted a midfielder or else focus on bringing in an attacker I'll never know. I'm still convinced that his signing had a lot to do with the preferable installment rate Roma allowed us to pay for him gradually.

I think some players aren't suited to certain leagues, and his success again with Juve this season is a case in point. He's a good player, but he wasn't the right player for us.

Meireles offers everything he could and a lot more besides.

Have you seen him play at all this season?

Its also worth considering that he had just moved to a new country, new league, was injured and all to a club who, by Christmas, were in turmoil. Hardly ideal conditions.

If we judged players on their first season alone, then Drogba, Malouda, Pires & Hleb would be shite.

Not sure why you lump Drogba in there. He pretty much hit the ground running with Chelsea before getting even better.

And I remember Pires and his first season always being used as a reason to justify hanging on to Cheyrou, Diouf and Le Tallec, so you'll excuse a bit of cyncism there.

Unfortunately, not all players come good.

Anyway, the Aquilani sitaution is a bit different. I don't think he's a bad player, just one we never needed.