You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

Liverpool set to pounce on £7m French destroyer

84683447.jpg

Liverpool’s new sporting director Damien Comolli is set to raid former club St Etienne for captain Blaise Matuidi.

Comolli left the Ligue 1 side this week with the brief of ­“identifying new and exciting talent” for the Reds.

The Frenchman thinks Matuidi, 23, fits the bill and could make a £7m bid for him in January.

Read more: Transfer news: Liverpool to pounce on £7m Blaise Matuidi after Damien Comolli identified the St Etienne captain - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Liverpool track Payet

get.aspx?iMedia=25087383

The season of thundering Dimitri Payet not gone unnoticed in France and abroad.

In England, Liverpool, author of an early season winded, was Etienne striker his priority according to information from across the Channel.

The arrival on the banks of the Mersey Damien Comolli, in midweek, a little more credence's interest Hodgson, coach of the Reds players Etienne.

The name of Blaise Matuidi has been mentioned, but Liverpool is looking for a striker and turned its sights on Dimitri Payet.

Side of the ASSE is denied all contact. "Liverpool did not asked us," said Roland Romeyer.

The chief executive is adamant, "If this is the case, our answer will be negative. We've built a roster for the season. There will be no departures during the winter transfer window. Should there be a movement, it would be the other way. Depending on injuries, for example, we could take a player. But this is only a hypothesis. "

The leaders should meet with Etienne Loïc Perrin and his agent at the end of the month to discuss a contract extension.

An observer soon enlisted

Damien Comolli will not be replaced by post office has confirmed Roland Romeyer. "The tasks of Comolli will be distributed.

Dominique Rocheteau will see its powers extended. All decisions are taken collegially.

A cell recruitment will be implemented. It is composed of Dominique Rocheteau, Christophe Galtier and Gerard Fernandez. We will commit soon an observer to oversee the likes of our opponents. "

feu vert - Liverpool piste Payet - Le Progrès

Damien Comolli hopes to make an early impact at Liverpool by signing midfield prospect Dimitri Payet from under the noses of three other bidders.

Anfield's newly-appointed director of football strategy believes his St Etienne connections could give him a decisive edge over Napoli, Inter Milan and Aston Villa in the £7million battle to sign 23-year old Payet who, as Sportsmail revealed, was watched by Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson in September.

article-0-0BBD3DB0000005DC-772_468x359.jpg

An attacking midfielder or winger, Payet is on the verge of breaking into the senior France side after catching Laurent Blanc's eye with seven goals in as many games this season.

It has also put him in the frame for a January move to England or Italy, with Comolli, the former director of football at Tottenham and credited with unearthing some top youngsters, poised to win the race.

Read more: French connection can take Dimitri Payet to Liverpool as Reds move for St Etienne star | Mail Online

The only thing I hope is that we go for good young players, from anywhere. Not from France (again) because of Comolli, not from England because of Hodgson, just get the best players to fit in our long term plans. We tried the Houllier French stuff, the Benitez Spanish stuff, we're trying the Hodgson "experienced or English" stuff now.

I like the idea of copying Arsenal and Barcelona, we have the Academy structure in place, we have the DOF now, all it takes is someone to impose a style of play for us and build all teams in the club around that vision in the long term. Is Hodgson that man? I don't know, but I do know that we need to go that way. Then the transfers become a whole lot simpler...

This is Roy Hodgsons' footballing philosophy...

.............................Keeper

centre half...centre half...centre half...centre half

centre mid..centre mid..centre mid..centre mid..centre mid

.............................Godzilla

...and all from those bastions of subtle, footballing systems called England and Scandinavia.

Roys' January wishlist...

Damo, sort these for us laaaa...

Centre half

oh better make it two actually.

A midfield stopper.

and someone for the right wing. Possibly Makalele.

Get scouting Comolli.

I wonder if anyone can remember the name of the left back we were being linked with during the summer - saw a couple of youtube clips (yeah, I know) and he looked dead exciting - loads of flair, long shots, free kicks etc. Sadly, I've lost so many brain cells over the years my memory is shot to pieces and I can't even recall the team he played for or his nationality. Any help would be appreciated - except the Alzheimer's help line number which I already have ... somewhere.

Hazard and Lukaku for me, to go either side of Nando. Those two would be pricey young players, but would perhaps represent less of a gamble than players in the £5-10M bracket. I think we need a couple of young players who are near enough to being sure things. They should be good enough to make the team stronger right now.

Obviously we need to build on all fronts, but I do think there is a pressing need in the first team right now.

Really hate this kind of thing. He's supposed to be an expert on world football and the best he can (supposedly) come up with is a couple of players from his old club? Fucking hell.

Shocking isn't it. Apparantly he just gave those two names to Hodgson and Henry, declared his work was done, and then rode off into the sunset. Terrible waste of a salary on our part. Personally I think we should re-hire Parry and then sack him again for this massive error.