You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

January 2011 Transfer Window Speculation Thread

StevieH

• Replies 5.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Roy on Lucas deal and rumours - Liverpool FC

Seems Roy is'nt keen on Suarez, but is coy about Young

Hodgson was also asked if there was any truth in the rumours linking Liverpool with Ronaldinho, Ashley Young and Luis Suarez.

The manager replied: "I've got to say, Ronaldinho and Suarez are players we've never even thought about.

"I wouldn't have thought there is a manager in the Barclays Premier League who hasn't given Ashley Young a thought at some stage or another.

Johan Elmander to let deal run out as Spurs and Liverpool eye free transfer

Johan Elmander has said he will not sign a new Bolton contract before his current deal expires next summer, as Spurs and Liverpool jumped to the front of the queue for the Swede.

( 0 )

article-1291913765301-0C58BE5E000005DC-531384_636x300.jpg Johan Elmander has hinted he will leave Bolton when his contract expires (Action Images)

Both clubs would be keen to add a striker of Elmander's quality and skill - especially if he was available for nothing when he becomes a free agent next summer.

And the Trotters star has given rival managers Harry Redknapp and Roy Hodgson the go-ahead to approach him when he is within six months of the end of his deal by admitting he will not sign a new contract until the end of the season.

'I don't want to comment on negotiations,' Elmander told the Bolton News.

'When my contract runs out in the summer, we'll see what happens.'

However, Elmander did give Bolton fans cause for optimism by suggesting he would not simply chase the biggest payday available.

'I have never been a player who goes after money, I have always chosen with my heart and the feeling I have in the pit of my stomach,' he continued.

'I will give myself fully to Bolton while I am here.'

Read more: Johan Elmander to let Bolton deal run out as Spurs and Liverpool eye free transfer | Metro.co.uk

Roy on Lucas deal and rumours - Liverpool FC

Seems Roy is'nt keen on Suarez, but is coy about Young

Hodgson was also asked if there was any truth in the rumours linking Liverpool with Ronaldinho, Ashley Young and Luis Suarez.

The manager replied: "I've got to say, Ronaldinho and Suarez are players we've never even thought about.

"I wouldn't have thought there is a manager in the Barclays Premier League who hasn't given Ashley Young a thought at some stage or another.

You missed the rest of the interview... :whistle:

The Brazilian has enjoyed an excellent 2010-11 season so far and could be rewarded for his fine form with a new deal.

Asked by reporters if there were any contract talks with Lucas on the horizon, Hodgson said: "I think there is, yes. A couple of weeks ago Damien (Comolli) mentioned to me about him wanting to get in touch with Lucas's agent to discuss a new contract, but I can't quite frankly remember where we are.

"Certainly if you ask me the question 'Is Lucas welcome at the club and would we like to keep him?' then the answer is a resounding 'Yes'."

Meanwhile, journalists quizzed Hodgson on the latest transfer speculation in the press - and the boss dismissed suggestions Glen Johnson could move to pastures new in the January window.

He said: "As far as I'm concerned, Glen Johnson will be a Liverpool player certainly for as long as his contract and possibly beyond that. We're very happy with him. He's a top-class player, an England international - why should we want to lose him?"

"But giving a player a thought and thinking he's a good player, and signing him are two vastly different things.

"I could give you quite a long list of players playing in the Barclays Premier League who I admire and think are very, very good.

"But I'm afraid there is no truth in the rumour if you're asking me if any discussions are taking place between Aston Villa and Liverpool."

Puts water on the fire this.

In fairness, I don't think theres any direct proof about Hodgson wanting to move Lucas on.

But I think it might have been Jim Boardman claimed he had sources saying Hodgson didn't think Lucas was up to it. All speculation really.

And in fairness Hodgson was making him captain in alot of those summer friendlies so maybe he was happy enough to keep him.

Have to admit, my own personal theory is he wanted him to stay on as a backup for Poulsen and that didn't work out as planned.

In fairness, I don't think theres any direct proof about Hodgson wanting to move Lucas on.

But I think it might have been Jim Boardman claimed he had sources saying Hodgson didn't think Lucas was up to it. All speculation really.

And in fairness Hodgson was making him captain in alot of those summer friendlies so maybe he was happy enough to keep him.

Have to admit, my own personal theory is he wanted him to stay on as a backup for Poulsen and that didn't work out as planned.

I think it was much like the right back situation in Rafa's first season at the club.

He didn't know much about Finnan, so bought Josemi in as he knew him well and thought he could do a job here. Obviously while at the club he noticed how good Finnan actually was, and Josemi got put on the bench quickly enough. Credit should go to Rafa there for unlocking Finnan's potential if you like, even though no one acknowledges it anymore, they pretend Finnan was at the same level before Rafa joined the club.

And now, credit should now go to Roy for unlocking Lucas' potential, and dropping Poulsen quickly enough.

I think it was much like the right back situation in Rafa's first season at the club.

He didn't know much about Finnan, so bought Josemi in as he knew him well and thought he could do a job here. Obviously while at the club he noticed how good Finnan actually was, and Josemi got put on the bench quickly enough. Credit should go to Rafa there for unlocking Finnan's potential if you like, even though no one acknowledges it anymore, they pretend Finnan was at the same level before Rafa joined the club.

And now, credit should now go to Roy for unlocking Lucas' potential, and dropping Poulsen quickly enough.

I don't think either 'unlocked' potential. Both Lucas and Finnan was/are better than Poulsen and Josemi.

Fair play to both managers in those instances for going against what they thought a few months previous.

Elmander is the flavor of the month just as Amir Zaki was before him. He's been rubbish for 2 seasons now he's had a good start to this season so we're linked with him and everyone forgets the shitness.

I don't know about you but I'd prefer someone with a little more consistency, someone who doesn't have 3 good months out of 25.