You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How good are the Pixies????

Fugitive

Back in the day they were, still are, and will always be the best band you could ever hope to see.

But.

(I am going to be brutally honest here).

When I went to see them at the Albert Hall ten years ago, not only did the crowd not have a fucking clue how to be a Pixies crowd, but it seemed to me the band didn't really know how to be The Pixies any more either. I almost left early, but stuck it out.

Maybe, just maybe, it would have been best to leave perfection alone.

Not really feeling that new track yet, but it might grow on me. Without Kim Deal though, it won't be The Pixies.

Not even The Not Quite The Pixies that came back in 2004.

Just discovered these and listened to some of their back catalogue including Surfer Rosa and Doolittle. Pretentious US middle class angst music precursor to self-indulgent US grunge bores Nirvana is my honest opinion.

In answer to the opening thread title. Not very.

Just discovered these and listened to some of their back catalogue including Surfer Rosa and Doolittle. Pretentious US middle class angst music precursor to self-indulgent US grunge bores Nirvana is my honest opinion.

In answer to the opening thread title. Not very.

Pretentious? Nah. Funny as fuck. "I am the son of a mother fucker/I am the son of incestuous union" still makes me laugh out loud. Ditto, Crackity Jones and a dozen other genius titles/lyrics. It's not angst, it's self-deprecating black humour. Big difference. And just because the lyrics bear the hallmarks of an education, that doesn't make them middle class.

Can't believe you've fallen for Noos Paul' date=' you should know better.[/quote']

Noos' fishing is occasionally grounded in an approximation of his real view though. And besides, it's never a waste of time to praise The Pixies.

I'm a pig in shit playing the vids on this thread, here's some of my faves, some might have been posted already.

[YOUTUBE]PIkWJZf33UY[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]8w8NgvDf4aM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]viX29CwomGM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]tPgf_btTFlc[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]UDt42Vs-teI[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]skYBE38Sl38[/YOUTUBE]

• 1 year later...

Save me GF as this is doing my head in.

What is the song with the line that goes "I thought a thought of Alice" trying to remember which one it is and a lyrics search on google is giving me everything but Pixies songs. 

Currently working my way through every album but not finding the bugger just yet. 

Edit: Typically as is so often the way moments after posting I realised it's Alison and it's "I saw the face of Alison". As you were folks. 

• 7 years later...

They are playing the great hall Cardiff friday April 1st as part of the BBC 6 music festival.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/eggrn3

For anyone fancying a weekend down the capital Liverpool are playing home to Watford the next morning early kick off, all the Old Arcade pub in the centre will be showing the game. The world's oldest record shop Spillers is a short walk the other end of town.

• Upvote 1