You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

How good are the Pixies????

Fugitive

Guest PaddyBerger15

Actually, here is a question for the folks who have posted on this thread and for fans of The Pixies and the genre....here are 3 seminal, influential bands, all interlinked in their own history in that they passed the baton on to the next and operated at the same times at difference stages in their popularity and 'peak'....rate them in order of preference.

Nirvana

Sonic Youth

The Pixies

Actually, here is a question for the folks who have posted on this thread and for fans of The Pixies and the genre....here are 3 seminal, influential bands, all interlinked in their own history in that they passed the baton on to the next and operated at the same times at difference stages in their popularity and 'peak'....rate them in order of preference.

Nirvana

Sonic Youth

The Pixies

At various times over the last 15/20 years (fucking hell!) each one would have been at 1/2/3

At the moment, it'd be the reverse of what you have above, I reckon. I deffo listen to Pixies and Sonic Youth (had Dirty on in the car this very morning) more than Nirvana these days.

The Pixies

Sonic Youth

Nirvana

The Albums 'Sister' & 'Daydream Nation' by Sonic Youth are fucking immense.

Guest PaddyBerger15
At various times over the last 15/20 years (fucking hell!) each one would have been at 1/2/3

At the moment, it'd be the reverse of what you have above, I reckon. I deffo listen to Pixies and Sonic Youth (had Dirty on in the car this very morning) more than Nirvana these days.

Its certainly a tough one Norkmeister. I could make a case for all permutations to be honest.

I'll have to sit on the fence with that one, I can't do it. I've not heard enough Pixies and Sonic Youth to decide properly for starters, and I love all 3 of those bands, so it's too hard. I was a huge Nirvana fan for a good few years and without that band I might not have even got into Sonic Youth or The Pixies, but having not heard all of the latter bands music it wouldn't be right to say.

Guest PaddyBerger15
The Pixies

Sonic Youth

Nirvana

The Albums 'Sister' & 'Daydream Nation' by Sonic Youth are fucking immense.

I agree, Daydream Nation was their finest hour, followed by Sister, Dirty, Confusion is Sex and Goo.

Without the Pixies and Sonic Youth you'd have never heard Nirvana though, in fairness. That said, Kurt was probably an even better melody writer than either (though I personally prefer the Pixies). I think if he hadn't killed himself that Nirvana would have gone on to make some incredible pop records.

Guest PaddyBerger15
Teenager of the Year is a classic album in its own right.

Indeed it is a good album....and King was also right, Trompe Le Monde is a very good album also and is underrated.

Day Dream Nation by Sonic Youth is possibly one of the best albums i've ever heard. For dynamics, structure, melody and vision - i think its got it all. I think these were only kids as well, 20 or 21 (correct??) The first time i listened to it i thought it was pretensious dog shit. Then the 2nd time a bit less, and a bit less until eventually i was like "holy shit" this thing is immense!

Guest PaddyBerger15
Day Dream Nation by Sonic Youth is possibly one of the best albums i've ever heard. For dynamics, structure, melody and vision - i think its got it all. I think these were only kids as well, 20 or 21 (correct??) The first time i listened to it i thought it was pretensious dog shit. Then the 2nd time a bit less, and a bit less until eventually i was like "holy shit" this thing is immense!

No, they were much older than that when Daydream Nation came out mate. That was 1988, so I'd reckon they would be late 20's then. In fact Kim is a bit older than Thurston, she would have been in her 30's by then.

Guest PaddyBerger15
I agree, Daydream Nation was their finest hour, followed by Sister, Dirty, Confusion is Sex and Goo.

Shit, I forgot Bad Moon Rising off that list. That goes in at number 3 after Sister.

No, they were much older than that when Daydream Nation came out mate. That was 1988, so I'd reckon they would be late 20's then. In fact Kim is a bit older than Thurston, she would have been in her 30's by then.

Oh Right. Fair play. I just love albums that pull you in on the 5 or 6th listen.

Guest PaddyBerger15
I've never listened to either The Pixies or Sonic Youth.

Get yourself listening to Daydream Nation and Dirty by Sonic Youth and Doolittle and Trompe Le Monde by The Pixies Karlos, you will really enjoy them.

Here is Teenage Riot off Daydream Nation as a taster.

and

YouTube - Sonic Youth 100%

Edited by PaddyBerger15

Guest PaddyBerger15
What's the best Sonic Youth album to start off on? I've tried listening to them in the past and couldn't get into them, I could never get past his voice, bit like Dinosaur Jr.

Still love the username mate. I'd say that the most accessible would be Dirty, Daydream Nation and Goo.

Nirvana

Sonic Youth

The Pixies

I would have them in the order they are listed there but that's just personal preference. I think Nirvana are one of the most influential bands of all time and for me that makes them the best, and as Mr Waffle says they wrote great songs. Who knows how many there could have been if it hadn't all gone wrong.

Sonic Youth second for their endurance and innovation over three (four?) decades and Pixies third who I love but who I don't hold as dear to my heart as the other two bands.

When you think that the drummer of Nirvana has gone on to be the lead vocalist and song writer of one of the stand out rock bands of the last two decades it makes you realise the talent that they had. I'm not a big fan of the Foos but hats off to Grohl.

Guest PaddyBerger15
I would have them in the order they are listed there but that's just personal preference. I think Nirvana are one of the most influential bands of all time and for me that makes them the best, and as Mr Waffle says they wrote great songs. Who knows how many there could have been if it hadn't all gone wrong.

Sonic Youth second for their endurance and innovation over three (four?) decades and Pixies third who I love but who I don't hold as dear to my heart as the other two bands.

Hard to disagree with that Captain TK.

Grunge nostalgia just for you...one of their finest moments...live and studio

YouTube - Frances Farmer Will Have Her Revenge On Seattle

What's the best Sonic Youth album to start off on? I've tried listening to them in the past and couldn't get into them, I could never get past his voice, bit like Dinosaur Jr.

I know what you mean about J.Mascis but Thurston Moore sounds nowt like that. I wouldn't say his voice is one of those that you either love/hate. Always found it quite inoffensive.

Dirty is probably their most accessible album. Or Goo.

Nice one thanks for those recommendations, I'll give them a go, I'm quite liking what I'm finding clicking the links on You Tube, although what's with the cardigan love? : ) I'll add some rep when I've spread some more of the love around.

I think I was always put off by the we're SO cool air Sonic Youth seemed to give off, the Pixies were a bit more quirky and rocked out so they appealed to my inner metalhead, it helped make the move from listening to Bon Jovi and Def Leppard a lot easier.